Shed Door Design

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtchucker09

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking to make a new shed door.

The current one has the tongue and groove running vertically however to improve aesthetics, I am going to make the new door with the tongue and groove cladding running horizontally.

The door is about 800mm wide so want to nail the tongue and groove in the centre and both ends to a frame of some sort.

Can anyone suggest a suitable configuration for the frame behind please? I was thinking of doing half lap joints with some 25mm x 38mm pressure treated timber to make a large rectangle with a timber running down the centre vertically and another two running horizontally. I have attached a paint sketch of the idea.

Attachments

• Door.jpg
    Door.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 0
Hi there

I’d consider having the tongue and groove running vertically to avoid risk of any water sitting in the grooves. I’d also think about having the frame so that you’ve got 2 diagonal braces running in opposite directions to each other to avoid twisting of the frame. I’d also look at making the frame out of slightly chunkier timber just to make it a bit stronger. What thickness is your tongue and grove going to be? It could be quite heavy so will need a sturdy frame behind it.

Cheers
Pete

oddly I've always found halving joints very weak. I'd mortice and tenon the frame. if you use shiplap it should be fine.

You may find you have problems lining the shiplap as it maybe different sizes or just out of level then it would look terrible, that's maybe why they ran it vertical

Back