Triton TPT125 issue. Hitting sound.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony85

Reaction score
any clue what this sound could be?

Hello and welcome- What I’m hearing is the machine seems to be struggling to pull the timber through so possible worn or contaminated rollers . Have you tried increasing the cutting depth slightly , are the blades sharp - I notice your not using any type of extractor and there are virtually no chips being expelled..

I thinking along the same lines as Bingy man. I think the rollers are slipping. On the subject of getting rid of the chips I would take off that hose connection and just let them spray out. It is likely chock full and causing extra problems. Those kind of machines usually had another open dust hood ( slightly curved metal or plastic flap)if you are not using extraction but if you dont have that then wide open is better than the current setup. Just be aware of not getting too close to the cutterhead when taking the wood out the other end.
Regards
John

Hello and welcome- What I’m hearing is the machine seems to be struggling to pull the timber through so possible worn or contaminated rollers . Have you tried increasing the cutting depth slightly , are the blades sharp - I notice your not using any type of extractor and there are virtually no chips being expelled..
hey. I took the rollers out yesterday for a cleaning. They are basically new. I tried increasing the the depth but same result. Blades are also sharp and no rust on them. Unfortunately the machine was in a moist basement for a few months. Could that be an issue? It sounds like its hitting something when a board goes through

hey. I took the rollers out yesterday for a cleaning. They are basically new. I tried increasing the the depth but same result. Blades are also sharp and no rust on them. Unfortunately the machine was in a moist basement for a few months. Could that be an issue? It sounds like its hitting something when a board goes through
I’m not familiar with your triton but these machines all work the same or similar way . I’m no expert and a recording is no substitute for standing in front of it . Having ruled out rollers blades set up etc . I’d suggest or ask if it happens with a bigger piece of timber . Or does it help if you gently pull the timber as it leaves the back of the machine. I would also expect more chip’s flying out but I don’t see that with your video. Is that timber bowed or twisted. Hopefully someone who has that planer will post more detailed info..

I’m not familiar with your triton but these machines all work the same or similar way . I’m no expert and a recording is no substitute for standing in front of it . Having ruled out rollers blades set up etc . I’d suggest or ask if it happens with a bigger piece of timber . Or does it help if you gently pull the timber as it leaves the back of the machine. I would also expect more chip’s flying out but I don’t see that with your video. Is that timber bowed or twisted. Hopefully someone who has that planer will post more detailed info..
Hi, if you are happy its not the rollers then I wld agree with HOJ and be looking at the bed/table. Difficult to tell but it sounds as if the rollers are jumping due to friction. had a scheppach which got rusty whilst in storage and I couldn't clean the (plated steel bed) satisfactorily. I ended up making a simple removable 'over bed'? out of mrmdf which I waxed and it worked more smoothly than the original plated steel ever did. 'Passed the machine on to a friend and he's still using the same piece of mdf. Incidentally good extraction is a must, IMHO. Hope you get it sorted. By the way, for future reference, if it has rubber rollers these will get clogged especially with soft resinous wood and slip. I used to carefully scrape them and then clean them with meths - was then able to carry on.

The bed on these, the bit directly under the cutter, is thin piece of sheet metal resting on the structure. If the wood passing over the bed has any unevenness, i.e. it hasn't been planed flat as it passes thru the machine the thin bed can lift/flex and then 'slap' back down. Worse with narrow pieces like in the clip.

Latest posts

Back