Triton TPL180B Triple blade planer.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeyman44

Reaction score
Hi members,
I recently purchased a 7 inch hand planer.
I have started working on a timber frame build for my son and first used the planer on Thursday. I run across the timber on the first two planes then on the third it snagged timber and the whole thing exploded on me, very very lucky me or my son didn't get injured from the flying shrapnel from the cast faceplate.
Photos attached
20230706_124746.jpg
20230706_124752.jpg

That baseplate looks like very cheap diecast, luckily you are ok and you will get your money back under warranty. If you want a large planer for frames then this is what you need, a local woodworker has one and it is very impressive in action, the Makita KP312.

Ive seen many people have the same experience as you have. I thought they changed the design to make it stronger. Obviously not..

I have the same planer as well. Seems a weak point on it.

That baseplate looks like very cheap diecast, luckily you are ok and you will get your money back under warranty. If you want a large planer for frames then this is what you need, a local woodworker has one and it is very impressive in action, the Makita KP312.

Hi spectrum,
Would you have details to send me for the makita Would be appreciated and interested.
I have emailed triton and they are refunding the total amount, I did find the packaging suspect looked like it had been opened as bix had gauges in it and noticed finger prints so took photos and have asked triton to call me since yesterday's morning heard nothing yet. This way I can talk with management or supervisor in regards to my experience
Any thanks for your help

Ive seen many people have the same experience as you have. I thought they changed the design to make it stronger. Obviously not..

I have the same planer as well. Seems a weak point on it.
Yes it is not well designed I have a dewalt but its only 3 inch but will use that as its well made and safe.had it 10 yrs at least but not used much.

Hi spectrum,
Would you have details to send me for the makita Would be appreciated and interested.
I have emailed triton and they are refunding the total amount, I did find the packaging suspect looked like it had been opened as bix had gauges in it and noticed finger prints so took photos and have asked triton to call me since yesterday's morning heard nothing yet. This way I can talk with management or supervisor in regards to my experience
Any thanks for your help
Hi again, I had looked into the makita planers, are these imports from Japan or America, would you know if it is fitted with uk plug and 240v 50Hz. Cheers mate 👍

Would any member have contact number for triton as can only contact by email which is frustratingly slow if and when they reply back

https://ffx.co.uk/product/Get/Makita-Kp312-0088381053327-110V-312Mm-Corded-Planer
FFX are a UK based supplier and being 110 volt it just uses a transformer, something handheld on this scale is going to be trade hence the 110 volts.

If you wanted a spiral head cutter block then SHELIX for MAKITA 12'' Handheld Planer, Model KP-312 note this is not the lesser helical head but a true spiral cutter block.
Sorry but must of read your first comment wrong as thought you knew off someone that had one to sell.
Just had a look and not at the price am I interested so will use old school mechanical ways 😂👐

Thanks to all posts, in regards to Triton.
Moving on as I mentioned i am in first build of a timber framed garage workshop for my boy. Stage on at the moment are the 6 x 4 sills placing on top off 6 x 2 pressure treated 6 x 2 that I fixed down using 16mm threaded stainless Steel bar into concrete blocks.
At cutting the end off the 6 x 4 with my makita skill saw I was not getting square cuts, I have now set blade dead square and will try again weekend on a bit off scrap timber and I am using my swanson speed square as the parallel guide.
Was looking at the 6 and 5/16 makita beam cutter but for a 1 off project my expenses are climbing higher and higher so use what I have.
Will be wanting dead square 6 x 6 when I start on the post beams
Any better advice appreciated 🙏

Those posts look like treated timber,are you sure you want to plane that all off ? If they're a bit hairy from treatment a light sand should tidy them up without losing all the treatment. If the posts are to big for your mitre saw use a new hardpoint hand saw, you should be able to get a good cut and it'll be fairly quick.

This Makita 1910B 110v model is currently “discounted” on eBay for £250:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125389493415
The sole measures 350mm x 110mm, it weighs 4.2kg; so sits somewhere between the standard 82mm jobbies and its big brother.

I believe I must have bought the last 240v version as I trawled the net and could only find one online retailer selling it (as “last item”), when I purchased it exactly a year ago. Mine came with a euro plug, which didn’t bother me as the plan -one of these days (!?!)- is to wire it up with an NVR switch and build a portable custom 6’ jointer (sic) for squaring up cruddy fast-grown DIY timber, in particular. Inspired by this video:

In fact, if Triton didn’t ask you to return the failed item, then it would make a good candidate for converting into a UK surface planer, as the guy in the video completely removes/discards both parts of the sole!

Alternatively, convince someone on this forum to buy the Triton with a link to the vid, and that way you might be able to offset the cost of buying a proper beast-mode electric hand planer!

Some nice work in that video but it does remove the original concept of the planer which is portable and hand held. Maybe for the OP's task of a large oak frame he could work in the other direction and take a small bench planer and convert to use it portable.

I bought one of these to build a green oak pergola. The 150x 150 green oak stock was too heavy to handle through my planer/thicknesser.

The Triton handled the job no problem, although I did have to tape over the thing that stops you putting the planer down flat when the knives are still rotating. I didn't even need to turn the knives.

I can only think that your machine had a faulty part. If Triton will replace it under warranty, I'm sure it will do the job.

Hi members,
I recently purchased a 7 inch hand planer.
I have started working on a timber frame build for my son and first used the planer on Thursday. I run across the timber on the first two planes then on the third it snagged timber and the whole thing exploded on me, very very lucky me or my son didn't get injured from the flying shrapnel from the cast faceplate.
Photos attached View attachment 162465View attachment 162466
Hi members that joined the discussion on the Triton TPL 180B 7" Triple blade planer.
Finally I got my phone call from a manager from Triton.
He was very apologetics to hear about my experience in the matter. They will be sending out a new replacement and will collect the damaged item one for inspection. In our chat, I gave my opinion to its design and how I feel it may help. It's only my opinion to take on board.
Firstly the cast brittle face plate, in my view is a no no, this should be of a quality gauge metal material construction off non brittle properties.
Then comes the primary face plate length before the cutting blades in my opinion should be greater or equal to the off feed plate after the cutting blades, for maximum surface contact prior to blade interception, this would give the operators more levelling to feed into point of timber front face contact.
Thirdly the sprung loaded drop lever assembly to the rear from the blade would be better positioned mid center.
The manager took these suggestions on board and appreciated the feedback asking if there were anything else I could suggest. Which I said I will look at the product later as its not with me at the moment, at my sons and he is away for another week or so.
I also brought up that in certain responses from others to the matter it is not a first incident and known to have occurred to others, and was he aware.
He was a bit silent on acknowledging, but gave me the impression it has.
We will again touch base in this in a week or so, that is me and Triton manager.
So I thought I would share this with you all, again it's opinions on my own thoughts and ideas that can be accepted or ignored. I believe that safety is key because I wouldn't want someone getting a serious injury if god forbid it happens again.
Stay safe guys in hand held machinery.

Back