Trend T5 or Festool OF1010?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The OF1010 doesn't have the same ratchet as the 1400 and the 2200 though... Not a showstopper on the 1010 but you are clearly right, they make a difference.

Yes,.... and the guide bushes/ chip deflector has to be screwed into position on the base of the OF1010 as well. It's only on the OF1400 and OF 2200 that the bushes and deflector clip in.

One thing to bear in mind at this juncture, there is a difference in Festool rails and if you see yourself getting an LR32 kit in the near or long term future and want longer rails than the 1010 SET provides then look at getting the the LR32 variant of rails. Makes no sense to buy both.

I’ll absolutely second this from @shed9 - I’m now the proud owner of enough linear track to cut a freaking Wetherspoons bar countertop in one go because I got into the LR32 stuff after I’d bought my first load of track.

If you have any interest at all in the LR32 stuff, buy an LR32 1400 as your main rail

i laughed at the festool when they first came out. My boss has about $60,000 in festool in his shop. I said I’d never own one. Ludicrous price. The other day I used a festool sander fir a few days on windows. I’m now looking to buy one. Zero dust, no vibration, etc. At my age within carpal tunnel, after using it. Wow, I don’t care about the price. I’ll save up for one.

Well, I’m just starting on the Festool ownership journey and judging by the comments, it’ll be a happy journey. Since my old Trend T5 was 21 years old, the new tool has a lot to live up to!

Well, I’m just starting on the Festool ownership journey and judging by the comments, it’ll be a happy journey. Since my old Trend T5 was 21 years old, the new tool has a lot to live up to!

Well out of curiosity I just checked how long I've had some of my Festool kit

OF 1400 router 16 years (had new brushes about 4 years ago)

TS 55 plunge saw 16 years

Domino 15 years

PS300 jigsaw 17 years

Rotex sander 15 years

All used professionally most days in my joinery business, seemed expensive at the time but I think I've had my moneys worth (y)

Apart from the TS55 the same models are still available today, Festool used to be way ahead of everyone else.

What puts the festool top of the list for me is the ratchet system for removing bits, being able to connect the dust collar after a bit is fitted, the requirement for no screws / screwdrivers with bases or bushings and finally the optional extra to easily drop onto a track for straight dados.

Louis
Agree with Festool - but does the 1010 have the ratchet - the other two do.

I know a lot of people swear by (and at) Festool - maybe I need to see what all the fuss is about. May be the top of a slippery slope?
Do NOT buy a Festool product.
Over 10 years ago I started with a TS55 and CT26.

They call to each other, as well as those I now have an
OF1400, router
RO 150, Rotary/Radom orbital sander
ETS150/3, finish sander
DTS 400, detail sander
DF 500, Domino
MFK 700 small detail router
& a HL 850 plainer
plus quite a lot of other bits that go with them and assist.

There may be one or two others that have crept in without my noticing.

woops I forgot the CSX drill with the kit.

Last edited:
Back