Trend T5 or Festool OF1010?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nelly111s

Established Member
Reaction score
I've broken my T5 by dragging it off the bench with the vacuum it was attached to. Doh! I posted on another thread about the repair, but I've had it looked at and its probably uneconomic to repair. It was made in 2000, so 21 years old, it doesn't owe me anything.

I'm going to replace it, but should I get another T5 or a Festool OF1010? Anyone any experience of both? I have a "few" guidebushes for the Trend, but I have a T11 as well, so they won't be redundant. Most of my small cutters are 8mm shank and some of the Festool kits come with 1/4" and 8mm (as my Trend T5 did originally), so I know both routers basically do the same job. I know it's not possible to say if the Festool is worth twice the price of the Trend. The question is, "is it better"?

Thanks
Neil

OF1010 is a lovely little thing - if you can afford it, I doubt you would regret it, I've had mine 10+ years and the spendiness is long forgotten, it's still a joy to use.

+1 for the 1010, well balanced machine and the supplied accessories add to the functionality. When you use the track base and the rods it creates a large surface areas for the router that makes a very stable platform. if you don't have a track already It may make sense to get the set version. Dust collection is better than most other routers as well.

@Jake, @shed9 Thanks for the quick replies. I'm glad to know about the dust collection - that's important to me. The kit with the track looks appealing - I've always used clamp guides in the past.

I know a lot of people swear by (and at) Festool - maybe I need to see what all the fuss is about. May be the top of a slippery slope? However, I just replaced an Axminster thicknesser with a Hammer A3 and don't regret that decision, so maybe this will be the same.

I agree with all the comments from the previous posts.....The OF1010 is a sweet machine and I think you'll find it has a lot more finesse than the Trend.
The dust extraction is the best I've ever experienced on any router I've ever used, and I have a lot of routers.

Also worth remembering,...you get to buy it and try it for 15 days and if you're not 100% happy with it for any reason, you can return it for a full refund.

+1 for the of1010
I added a trend sub base to use the guide bushes I already had and used a silicone 90 hose so I could throw the hose over my shoulder
B5FE64DF-C929-4D3C-9EDD-B05EC83CE800.jpeg

94021693-705F-4E2F-8DD8-B2F201213365.jpeg

I don’t have the 1010 so can’t help you out there but I do have the 1400 and it’s great. I would say that Festool kit is worth the premium over other brands, particularly if you buy into the ‘system’. A router is a router but a festool router linked to a festool dust collector just works well. Link it to the LR32 and you have a great way to make shelf pin holes... and a spare bit of track for the track saw. Even little things like the plug it cords make life easier when stitching tools. To get the full benefit, you have to embrace the financial ruin but as others have said, the cost is forgotten the moment you use the tool and should anything go wrong in the first three years, Festool’s after sales service is amazing.

Completely agree with @Steve_Scott in 12 years I’ve only had a problem once with Festool gear, I contacted them in the morning, it was picked up that same day & delivered back within 48 hours & they’d fitted a new blade, excellent service.
The only problem with Festool is the shear steepness of the slope ;)
My first tool of theirs was the 1010 bought in 2009 & now even my accountant knows all about them 😆

What puts the festool top of the list for me is the ratchet system for removing bits, being able to connect the dust collar after a bit is fitted, the requirement for no screws / screwdrivers with bases or bushings and finally the optional extra to easily drop onto a track for straight dados.

Louis

Completely agree with @Steve_Scott in 12 years I’ve only had a problem once with Festool gear, I contacted them in the morning, it was picked up that same day & delivered back within 48 hours & they’d fitted a new blade, excellent service.
The only problem with Festool is the shear steepness of the slope ;)
My first tool of theirs was the 1010 bought in 2009 & now even my accountant knows all about them 😆
Have to jump in again here as well, I am fairly invested into the Festool system and rarely have I needed to call but when I have it has been painless and always resolved. They are one of the few tool suppliers who have an array of actual contact numbers on their respective location websites throughout the world. I always get a human being answering who in turn ensures that if they can't deal with me directly that they will connect me to the right person straight away or give me a reasonable ETA of when they will be back in touch.
Be mindful that the dealers themselves add to that process and not all dealers are the same. This isn't anything against those dealers, just some are bigger than others and less able to be more personable. I've found the people at Nuts and Bolts the best to work with so far.

One thing to bear in mind at this juncture, there is a difference in Festool rails and if you see yourself getting an LR32 kit in the near or long term future and want longer rails than the 1010 SET provides then look at getting the the LR32 variant of rails. Makes no sense to buy both.

What puts the festool top of the list for me is the ratchet system for removing bits, being able to connect the dust collar after a bit is fitted, the requirement for no screws / screwdrivers with bases or bushings and finally the optional extra to easily drop onto a track for straight dados.

Louis
The OF1010 doesn't have the same ratchet as the 1400 and the 2200 though... Not a showstopper on the 1010 but you are clearly right, they make a difference.

Back