Trend diamond stones

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you all checked your stones with a straight edge? My first wasn't even close to flat. They sent another- the diamond plate was peeling off - gave up.

It seems from most of the comments that I was just unlucky.

Gidon

Got my 5. Looks like thick CA was used to glue them on, some weren't glued at all which is great, others came off easily only one with damaged diamond. They all seem pretty flat except 1, certainly good for the money and the damaged/non-flat can be used for other things.

Gidon

Yep its not perfectly flat, but close enough for government work, and to get the steel down. Great for router bit touch up. Don't get much for a fiver these days, so can't be to squiffy about it.

I've just received my £5 stone. It is identical to the one I bought around 4 years ago, for near £18 (not Trend, different brand).
My £5 Trend wasn't glued on but it's not as flat as my previous £18 one (which is very flat). That doesn't bother me in the slightest, as far as I'm concerned it's flat enough for Plane and chisel blades .

Regarding glue deposits, ignore them and "sharpen" a knife blade where they are and it soon comes away.

At the risk of starting another war, they don't need to be flat although the 3 (out of six bought) I've used are pretty flat.
For anyone new to diamond stones ..........they need "bedding in" , don't be alarmed if stuff seems to abrade away.

Hi,

Don't know if Ive just been extremely lucky however mine has just arrived, a double sided one in perfect condition, not sure what grits they are but for a fiver delivered (or the cost a very decent pint of beer these days) I'm extremely happy!

Even the case looks a fivers worth!

Phil

I think they are 320/600, can't be absolutely certain but those are the numbers I remember when I first bought one.
I assume those are the grit numbers as new? After a few weeks use they might settle into something a bit finer. As I remember the coarse side was quite aggressive when new.
They are OK for sharpening stuff to a reasonable level. For more difficult timber, when more exacting work is required you need something finer.

Bought 10 at £4.00 each, they kindly sent me 13 so that's just over £3.00 each! All double sided none of them stuck down, most of them a little bent but still very good value.
Not sure what I am going to use them for yet, but if the snow and ice comes I will strap them to the kids feet to stop them slipping over :)

Cheers Peter

Bought at 4pm and delivered the next day :)
I bought the 5 for £20 and gave some to my son for his chef knives.
They knock out quite easy and will be great for cutters and my planer knives :)
Great buy for anyone :)
Dave

Obviously something meant they didn't pass quality control on the fine side but I don't know what it is. I am not complaining though. My 5 should outlast my needs in that department, especially given all the other sharpening tools I own.

mine arrived today.

seems reasonable for £5, double sided and a plastic base which seems steady enough.

cant see anything obvious wrong with it, smooth side seems ok and the other side seems to be ok as well, no obvious flaws.

also it appears to be £20 at dm tools and that is down form £30, so for £5 seems quite good :)

Thought I'd missed the 5 for £20 offer so I ordered 4 anyway.
5 were just delivered today.
Thanks for posting Phil.

Latest posts

Back