Trend diamond stones

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buy one, even if it's just used for card scrapers.
A bit cheeky of them not to throw in a free 1200G one though.

I've just received the two I had purchased online. I note from the underside that it may have another cutting edge on the underside. Although I cannot remove the stone from the carrier. Could it be that there are two abrasives sizes the one on the underside seems a lot finer possibly 1000.

I've just check again and there is a finer cut stone below. Just bought another two and I will break this one open, if that right its even a better deal than I thought.

If I got it wrong apologies, but the one I have here has two different grit the 360 as advertised and a finer one.

If you'd seen the other threads on this, you'd know. It will knock out from underneath - I suspect there was a flaw on the fine side which led them to be stuck in reduced in price and sold as single sided. There will be stuff stuck to perimeter of the fine side but it will be usable.

phil.p":37y2kkoq said:
If you'd seen the other threads on this, you'd know. It will knock out from underneath - I suspect there was a flaw on the fine side which led them to be stuck in reduced in price and sold as single sided. There will be stuff stuck to perimeter of the fine side but it will be usable.

From the other thread - it seems to be hot-glued in. I would recommend some heat to remove; I removed mine with brute force, and some of the diamond peeled off. :(

BugBear

Depends on the glue but if it's the standard EVA hot melt it will be in the range 50 - 100 C - somewhere around 80 C is common

Normancb":2ficxndd said:
Depends on the glue but if it's the standard EVA hot melt it will be in the range 50 - 100 C - somewhere around 80 C is common

So boiling water would most likely soften it a lot, if not liquify it. That sounds very helpful, thank you.

BugBear

bugbear":1gosatye said:
Anyone know the melting point of hot glue?
Very much depends on the polymer they used. There are hot glues with a low melting, popular for craft work so you won't scorch your skin if you accidentally get some on your fingers, and others melt well above 100°C.

In any case, heat will soften these even well below their melting point. Heating with a hair drier or heat gun, or just hot water, will make it much easier to pop the plate free of the holder.

Incidentally the same technique can be used to loosen the hold of many epoxies although the critical temps are usually above "Ow that's hot!"

stonefree.jpg

OK, I've managed to release the stone from its carrier, using a heat gun with a longitudinal cowl end to the gun. The glue look like epoxy and spot-ed in each corner to the carrier. There is only limited damage to the underside on the glue areas. Knowing the areas where the glue is next time I shall just heat the corner areas, maybe allowing the area to cool and then apply heat.

See the freed stone and glue witness areas on the smooth side.

A fiver for two stone surfaces got to be the bargain of the year.

Rgs

Aden

Attachments

• stonefree.jpg
    stonefree.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 130
Aden30mm":2x98je4p said:
. Knowing the areas where the glue is next time I shall just heat the corner areas, maybe allowing the area to cool and then apply heat.

See the freed stone and glue witness areas on the smooth side.

A fiver for two stone surfaces got to be the bargain of the year.

Rgs

Aden

Mine had a trail of glue diagonally across the stone where the applicator had moved across :-(

Back