Trend diamond stones

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are these any good for cabinet scrapers? I've got about three miles of sapele to scrape smooth.

BearTricks":2yczrbau said:
Are these any good for cabinet scrapers? I've got about three miles of sapele to scrape smooth.

It's the primary reason why I bought one. I've been using a card scraper on one of these stones for 3 year.

Might stick some on ebay for 15 notes a pop as Chefs Knife sharpeners. Just off to source some Japanese Samurai / Bamboo type stickers to cover the Trend logo. See ya in Vegas baby!
:D

(Quick edit): Box turned up today and they're different from the 2 i bought the first time. They were glued down, these ones were loose, and one side has the cheese grater type face. Sorry I don't know how else to describe it. Does make you wonder. Not checked them properly but they look flat to the naked eye and better condition than the first lot they sold.

Perhaps somebody from trend is reading this thread. Don't bother gluing the plates on the buyers are taking them off...
Now if only they would do some different grits...
Super fine 1200 please :)

BearTricks":2vyjk9at said:
Obviously if these will handle hardened tool steel any common scraper won't present a challenge :)

Out of curiosity though why not a smooth mill file?

The smoother the edge the sharper the scraper and the better finish.
Diamond stones are ideal for scrapers because you won't wear a grove in them.

Pete

If the plate is well out of true, see if the diamond plate can be separated from the plastic base, and then stick to a piece of float glass. Aximinster used to have some fairly cheap diamond stones which were far from flat, so this is what I did. The diamonds didn't last that long, but worked quite well for as long as they did.
For under a fiver a go, might be worth a punt.

Got mine today, as the combined offer with the (bit too Readers Digest style) Alan Holtham router book. It was loose in the holder, and has the cheese grater on one side, full grit on the other. Any estimates of what grit the two sides might be? Certainly seems to worke well in a quick test on a kitchen knife!

phil.p":9h6v25ex said:
"I think they are 320/600, can't be absolutely certain but those are the numbers I remember when I first bought one." - Mignal

Mignal's link to Amazon has these details:

Master Class industrial diamond encrusted sharpening stone with a two piece precision sharpening 360 / 600 combination grit for enhanced performance.

(the link)

BugBear

I presume those are the numbers when new and cutting aggresively. Does a 600 become 800 (ish) after a few months? Does anyone know if that's how diamond plates work or rather how diamond plates wear?
Just curious.

I asked a similar question some time ago:-

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums...few-daft-questions-t78719.html?hilit= Diamond

Coincidentally I found a use for my old diamond stones yesterday. As they are relatively heavy for their size, my wife can use these to keep "stretchy" material flat when dress making.
I know just need to find dress making or card making applications for some of my other tools that I want to upgrade!

MIGNAL":3ahubja0 said:
I presume those are the numbers when new and cutting aggresively. Does a 600 become 800 (ish) after a few months? Does anyone know if that's how diamond plates work or rather how diamond plates wear?
Just curious.
It was my understanding that they settle down to the stated grit, starting coarser. But I expect from what I've read in recent years that this will vary as it does with every other aspect of diamond plates, there being no standardisation across the industry.

What you can count on in practice is one maker's Fine being very like another's Medium, or buy two different plates rated as 600 and they can be noticeably different.

sharpened my chisels with this, so good for £5 :)

no longer available now by the looks of it..

just need to get a leather piece to really polish it up now

Latest posts

Back