Toy Chest

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassbear81

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

This is my first ever project, Im really chuffed with it, there are a few mistakes but as I said its may first time.

The lid produced a few headaches but I got there in the end.

I was especially pleased with the dovetails (although Ive still got a long way to go after seeing peoples on here)

Any critism is welcome (as well as encouragement)

DSCF2208.jpg

DSCF2210.jpg

DSCF2211.jpg

DSCF2216.jpg

DSCF2209-1.jpg

Looks like a job well done to me. Those dovetails do look tidy. :)

Which stays did you go for in the end?

Hopefully, you now have the confidence to tackle future projects! :wink:

very nice bassbear

I like the v grooves round the outside, helps break up the sides.

nice curve on the lid as well - looks like a nightmare :shock:

Andy

Fantastic. Really nice. Well done on the dovetails. I've not yet plucked up the courage to make my daughter's toy chest. One Day :roll: :wink:

wow all good coments so far, maybe I wont give up yet.

The lid took a lot of planning and a bit of trial and error but was worth it. It was a right pain to glue up, I think I should of made a jig to clamp up at right angles. Id love to see how the professionals do it.

That's fantastic! Once I have my shed built at the new house, I'm due to build something similar for those annoying toys that seem to be left in just the right place for me to fall over! I hope you don't mind, but I shall be taking some inspiration from yours - I think the curved lid looks really good, and you chose just the right hinges etc. to complliment the look.

Well done! =D>

:shock: Wow if that is your first project your going to be up there with the likes of his Lordship and Woodbloke in no time at all. Very well done =D> =D> =D>

Cheers

Mike

Ive been doing since Jan, so a very slow process but worth it in the end.

I really pleased with the hinges, I couldnt find anything I liked so I got a local blacksmith to make some (which were a bargain, £3.50 each) along with the hasp and staple.

I think you have created something really good here and your use of the blacksmith for the hinges shows that you are sensitive to design in a way that bodes very well for the future.

I reckon the piece as shewn is a wonderful basis for tweaking in any number of ways that would allow you a good line in gifts, or items for sale - at a large range of price-points depending on materials and the tweaks you employ. A fancier wood and a a little stringing could make a huge difference for example.

Back