Tormex

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimhot

Reaction score
I have been told that leaving a tormex stone in the water trough will damage the stone, is this true?

Thank's

Jim

Its not good practice to leave water in the trough. I dont know if it actually damages the stone but the waterlogged bit of the stone will be heavier so things will be out of balance. Rust stains will be another issue.
Regards
John

You don't need a water cooled grinder to maintain your own kit of tools. They make sense in a production environment where employees' skillsets differ.

That said, and since you have one, don't let the wheel sit in water more than a day's work session. Drain it at the end of the day. With this in mind, they seem a little less desirable than one might have first thought.

Last edited:
I have been told that leaving a tormex stone in the water trough will damage the stone, is this true?

Thank's

Jim
Left in water on a long term basis (a few days, or a week or more maybe) the part of the stone left in water swells; in the submerged area it gets fatter (thicker) and develops a hump at the circumference so the stone is no longer circular. I've seen that effect in three or four workshops I've either visited or worked in. I'm not a fan of that kind of grindstone, too slow, but what I prefer is of no consequence as long as you're happy with the system and it works for you. Slainte.

Last edited:
I don’t know about damage but I believe the manufacturer recommends that you lower the water bath so the stone isn’t sitting in water when it’s stationary.

I don’t know about damage but I believe the manufacturer recommends that you lower the water bath so the stone isn’t sitting in water when it’s stationary.
Then how does the water cool the wheel? Draining water is draining water, whether you drain the trough dry or below the level of the wheel. That said, we're not talking about draining and refilling four gallons of water every day or some other absurdly large amount.

With a Tormex the rotation speed is slow and the water is not needed to cool the wheel, although it will give some cooling to the edge being ground. I believe it's main function is lubrication.
As regards leaving the stone wet, I have never done so as it is bad practice for reasons already stated. A good tip I was given early on is to add a few drops, and not more, of bleach to the water. This helps with lubrication around the cutting edge and soaks into the stone, stopping the risk of mould. I've used this method for 30+ years.

Colin

For fair disclosure, I do not own a Tormex. I assume the water trough is there to wet the wheel thereby keeping the steel being ground cool. Other than that, I can't imagine what the water would be for.

Yes it is.
I believe it misshapes them.

From college, we had a note from the technician to stop leaving the tormek wheel in the water after use as he was getting annoyed having to true it all the time.

Not that I was ever guilty of such lax practice.

Then how does the water cool the wheel? Draining water is draining water, whether you drain the trough dry or below the level of the wheel. That said, we're not talking about draining and refilling four gallons of water every day or some other absurdly large amount.
The bottom part of the wheel sits in a water bath which contains a litre or so of water - although the stone does soak up a fair amount so it needs topping up to begin with. I usually take 2 litres to the workshop for the Tormek.
You raise the water bath when using the wheel so the stone is kept wet and then lower it when you turn the machine off so the stone isn’t left with the bottom part permanently sitting in the water.

Last edited:
The bottom part of the wheel sits in a water bath which contains a litre or so of water - although the stone does soak up a fair amount so it needs topping up to begin with. I usually take 2 litres to the workshop for the Tormek.
You raise the water bath when using the wheel so the stone is kept wet and then lower it when you turn the machine off so the stone isn’t left with the bottom part permanently sitting in the water.
Sounds awful when all one needs is a light touch on a dry grinder and a little dash pot in the form of a cup of water.

Shout out to all those now forgotten woodworkers who made grinders and buffers out of washing machine motors. I just can't run with the gewgaw crowd. Can't do it.

Last edited:
Just empty the water after you are done grinding.

Sounds awful when all one needs is a light touch on a dry grinder and a little dash pot in the form of a cup of water.

Shout out to all those now forgotten woodworkers who made grinders and buffers out of washing machine motors. I just can't run with the gewgaw crowd. Can't do it.
You do understand that a grinding wheel in a water bath is probably one of the oldest form of devices for grinding? There is nothing gewgaw about it.

Uh-oh - I sense the beginning of a sh**p*ning debate. 🙄

:LOL:
Washing machine motor inside ammo box which I seem to recall was 12x18x24".
On top had Picador spindle with 4" circ saw blade (I was into small toy making) and Picador belt sander Belt sander which I regret selling - belt length was same as Sorby Pro-edge belts, which would have fitted.
Washing machine was Hoover with built in mangle!
Replaced by futuristic Hoover twin tub with spin dryer. Luxury!
My ma thought it was an improvement on the old dolly tub, dolly, big cast iron mangle out in the yard.

i
Screenshot 2023-05-10 at 16.07.35.png

Just empty the water after you are done grinding.

You do understand that a grinding wheel in a water bath is probably one of the oldest form of devices for grinding? There is nothing gewgaw about it.
As I said in an earlier post, water cooling may make sense in a production environment where employees' skills vary.

But whatever, people are going to spend beaucoup on sharpening gear. They just can't help themselves.

Last edited:
People are going to spend beaucoup on sharpening gear. They just can't help themselves.
I’ll be honest, the Tormek came to me free of charge along with a slow speed grinder. Between them plus various oil stones etc, my modest sharpening needs are met and I have not had any reason to spend money buying anything else. 🤷‍♂️

Back