Tormek drill sharpener

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow at £170.00 you'd have to be using a hell of a lot of drills or am I missing something? I probably spend about £10 a year on drill bits if that.

I spent quite a bit of today sharpening them freehand on a grinding wheel, working on the theory that I'd just ruined them so they weren't going to get any worse. I found that most of the time I was rounding over the cutting edge but once I sussed that I had to start with the cutting angle and work back from there it went quite well. I could definitely tell when the angle was right. £170 is probably worth it if you need to sharpen a lot, but think how many bits that is and you might not be getting your money's worth for a year or ten

Aidan

:shock: Didn't realise they were so expensive I couldn't sharpen enough drill bits in my lifetime to warrant that :roll:

Just think how many drill bits you could buy for £170! And how many holes per annum you'd have to drill to justify spending that much on a drill sharpener. You'd possibly be drilling so many holes you'd have no time spare for sharpening the drills :)

Hi,

Using this tool, I would imagine it would be very diffucult to avoid uneven wear on the waterstone which could greatly shorten the life of the expensive stone especially if used for other applications requiring a flat surface.

Richard

I agree with all the comments about price but I also think there is a problem with set up time. I've had a Tormek for a while now. At first I really liked the jigs as I could get very reproduceable results. I found though that the more complex jigs took longer to set up than the sharpening and it was breaking my flow. I've mostly given up on the jigs now and do it freehand. This jig looks like it would take 5 minutes a bit to set-up at least, not worth it IMHO

definitely worth learning to sharpen by hand on a grinder it's so much quicker I can sharpen down to about 4mm takes less than a minute...

I think that it is geared at serious metal workers with expensive drill bits and is quite cheap when compared with say a Quorn Tool Grinder at over £600?

I have a set of cheapo Axminster drill bits which will last me for years and I generally break the smaller ones rather than wear them down.

Rod

I bought a gizmo years ago from machine mart for about £15 which sets up at the side of your standard grinder

Easy to set up and use to maintain correct angles - def worth the cost. I certainly wouldn't pay £170 to ruin the soft wheel of my Tormek :shock:

I'll find a link if anyone's interested

Bob

Latest posts

Back