Tormek + 320 mm planer - jig solution

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salvage

Established Member
Reaction score
Just took receipt of a Tormek T7 :D and had ordered a 320mm planer jig from Scheppach on the understanding that Jet/Tormek/Scheppach jigs are all interchangeable ...................

Well they're not :(

The good news is with a minor mod you can mount this jig to the tormek

Basically support posts for the scheppach are @ 100mm centres and are fitted though the base plate with a simple 8mm thread stepped onto the top of the support post and held by nut .

Tormek supports are @90mm spacing - so the solution redrill the baseplate

The jig is configured so both ends of its travel leave your 320mm blade still in contact with the surface of the wheel so redrilling a fresh pair of holes @90mm is prohibitive .

But using one existing and centreing another @90mm is possible (this would leave a very narrow wall near the original hole- 1mm)

My solution- drilling a 6mm hole @90mm centre and taping to 8x1.25mm
allowing you to thread one post to the base plate and using the original
bolt through on the other (this leaves a small but credible side wall between original hole and repositioned hole).

Result - Tormek T7 with 320mm planer jig that allows full length grind without repositioning the blades halfway through the job

Hope this info is useful to some here (more details if required -just ask /PM)

Salvage

Salvage, thanks for the feedback on the interchangability of Tormek, Scheppach jigs.
Got the Tormek 2006 myself and have just ordered the planer jig, but I went Tormek just in case so I dont have any need to retap/modify the jigs , figuring that at £24.50 for a set of blades for my 6" SIP jointer if I sharpen them myself x 4 the jig as more or less paid for itself...along with evrything else I sharpen in the shop..

bob_c":5z4o28ka said:
Will this jig fit the Jet? And how much did the jig cost?

Not sure if it will fit unmodified but the jet is also a 250mm wheel clone so I would say worst case you would have to redrill it

£98 @Yandles

Definitely worth the effort if you use wide blades - Scheppach also do a
400mm variant

NeilO

Salvage, thanks for the feedback on the interchangability of Tormek, Scheppach jigs.
Got the Tormek 2006 myself and have just ordered the planer jig, but I went Tormek just in case so I dont have any need to retap/modify the jigs , figuring that at £24.50 for a set of blades for my 6" SIP jointer if I sharpen them myself x 4 the jig as more or less paid for itself...along with evrything else I sharpen in the shop..

Well worth the investment and if you don't need wider than 10" then the tormek is hassle free- that said the scheppach is far more substantial if you need to support larger blades.

Salvage

10" on the Tormek?
I was led to believe it would cover my thicknesser blades at 13", and the jig itself measures 13 1/4" so wheres the 10" limit come into it?

was hoping to do both 6" blades of my jointer at the same time to get them matched..

Edit: just had a play with the Tormek and planer jig and get a sweep across the grinding stone of 13 3/4 " (350mm in new money) so I`m confused about this 10" limit??? enlightenment please, salvage

just checked the Tormek book , and again says any length, so theoretically an inch or two unsupported at the ends, though dubious could be done with care...and a bonus you can mount several chisels/ plane blades in the jig and do them together....

NeilO":2zdepg1b said:
10" on the Tormek?
I was led to believe it would cover my thicknesser blades at 13", and the jig itself measures 13 1/4" so wheres the 10" limit come into it?

According to Tormek in order to grind blades @ 300mm it is necessary to reposition the blades in the jig to cover the shortfall in travel (length of tool bar?), this is not really a viable solution as you can imagine.

I needed 320mm capacity so Tormek was out of the question and despite the
need to MOD it slightly I'm pleased with the result from the Scheppach

It has a dedicated carriage bed and doesn't rely on the standard tool bar at all - also the weight of the carriage is sufficient in itself to relieve stress on the operator (less downward pressure required ) and add stability. Overall
I think Tormek should be taking notes on this design.

Salvage

NeilO":1qex6udy said:
10" on the Tormek?

was hoping to do both 6" blades of my jointer at the same time to get them matched..

Edit: just had a play with the Tormek and planer jig and get a sweep across the grinding stone of 13 3/4 " (350mm in new money) so I`m confused about this 10" limit??? enlightenment please, salvage

From the manual (jig SVH 320) :

For blades longer than 10.5" .MOVE THE BLADE IN THE HOLDER AND GRIND IN TWO STEPS

Also see

Code:
http://www.tormek.com/en/jigs/svh320/svh320_high.php

Yes they market it as a jig for 320mm - in theory it is, but ................

Salvage

salvage , the tormek planer jig has dedicated tool bar for the Tormek, not the standard bar, or have they changed that on the T7??

its basically a sliding carriage and a carrier for the blade/s, and as I have already qouted some 350mm of travel ACROSS the stone itself, you have a backing stop to seat the blade/s but open ends hence any length...like I said dubious but doable with care...

salvage, you are indeed right , the book does state 10 1/2" maximum, seems strange when you can get 13 3/4" of travel across the stone....
Mmmmm, seems like I may have to do some grinding :lol: :lol:

NeilO":237fxyq6 said:
salvage , the tormek planer jig has dedicated tool bar for the Tormek, not the standard bar, or have they changed that on the T7??

its basically a sliding carriage and a carrier for the blade/s, and as I have already qouted some 350mm of travel ACROSS the stone itself, you have a backing stop to seat the blade/s but open ends hence any length...like I said dubious but doable with care...

My T7 manual is quoted above also the video on tormeks own site states the same - I researched this myself before purchase and would have rather not had to find an alternative solution but ........

If your unsure phone a supplier and hear it from them , if you don't like tormeks misleading marketing phone them .

I found a viable solution that suits me and posted here for the benefit of members needing a similar set up and to save them the inconvenience of making uninformed purchases.

I'll reiterate ; If you don't want to move your blades half way through a grind and are prepared to make a minor modification , the Scheppach
will suit your needs (Scheppach's distributers are being informed of this mod and future models may well appear with this 90mm spacing option ,but for now you can always DIY)

Salvage

cheers salvage,
but im going to push my lucky ( and probably grind my fingers :shock: ) but seeing as I get 350mm of travel I`m still going to try ( on a knackered set of course ) to grind in one pass.......

i`ll let you and anyone interested how I get on.. :D

NeilO":2q9wfcaa said:
cheers salvage,
but im going to push my lucky ( and probably grind my fingers :shock: ) but seeing as I get 350mm of travel I`m still going to try ( on a knackered set of course ) to grind in one pass.......

i`ll let you and anyone interested how I get on.. :D

Hi NeilO - well whats the verdict ?

From my adapted jig I can can confirm a perfect grind with no problems
and most importantly no resetting during the process - so other users can feel confident that they have at least one solution.

Anyone interested - I'll post pics of the assembly if requested.

Salvage

i'm thinking of knocking up a jig from 10mm alu plate i have. can you post the pics of your setup so i have reference?

thanks

punkrockdad":18gvdaft said:
i'm thinking of knocking up a jig from 10mm alu plate i have. can you post the pics of your setup so i have reference?

thanks

I'll try and post a couple of pics later

Latest posts

Back