Toothing Out Brickwork

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark A

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi chaps,

I plan to decrease the width of a large window opening by five inches one side and 14 the other. I plan to tooth out the existing brickwork to tie in the new bricks.

The mortar's too hard to dig out with my SDS without damaging the brick around the joints, and my 230mm disc cutter doesn't have enough depth.

I think my only option is to hire a 14" disc cutter or an Arbortech saw, but to tell the truth I'm not keen on the idea of hanging out of the window opening with a Stihlsaw 20ft up.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Drill it out using the SDS. If you've a 10mm joint, use an 8mm bit. Once you've created a series of holes you can knock the remaining mortar out with a plugging chisel.

MMUK":1he7sgyr said:
Drill it out using the SDS. If you've a 10mm joint, use an 8mm bit. Once you've created a series of holes you can knock the remaining mortar out with a plugging chisel.

+1 for that solution - should work a treat

MMUK":9g5axwyp said:
Pretty obvious now you mention it... I have my SDS with me know so I'll give it a go and report back.

Cheers :mrgreen:

Lons":1x6k3j6t said:
I bought an sds brick removal chisel years ago, it's flat with a toothed edge and and works very well indeed. Before retiring as a builder last year it was used regularly. Here's a link to the type I mean though can't remember where I bought mine.
http://www.sealantsandtoolsdirect.co.uk ... 0wodiOIGlA

Bob
I've seen those sort of chisels so if drilling out the joints proves to be difficult then at least I have another option, thanks.

Tried the drilling method and I'm pleased to say it works very well. I'm taking it easy so it's a bit slow (don't want to make more work for myself if the bricks break) but anything beats chasing out mortar with a grinder.

Latest posts

Back