DBT85s Workshop - Moved in and now time to fit it out

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, I use a compressor in my shop but some paints call for airless, I don't always finish but some people want me to paint even if it's just skirting install so thought a portable might be useful. On your office design I did a similar set up for someone a while back. (I've yet to learn how to use cad, I'm envious!) what edging will you be using? I steam bent 5mm oak around the curved desk.
They literally just want it left as edge exposed birch ply. Makes life easier for me at least! I'd have no idea what to do otherwise as I've only recently used my first bit of edge banding let alone trying to steam bend something.

As far as using Sketchup or Fusion, I think a lot of pros don't bother, Peter above didn't and that London Craftsman also doesn't and he's banging out 50-60 units a year. There's a time element but also maybe also if you make it look right in the drawing and then something happens on the job that means it looks different, people might get picky. If you just do a simple 2D drawing with dimensions then its maybe less easy to picture how it should look, so its more difficult to complain that it doesn't exactly match! Not only that, if you know how to build it then you don't need to draw it up. I've built a workshop and a utility cupboard and a bed, I don't know how to build a giant built in bookcase so this helps me see it a bit better and try to see problems I might encounter.

My brother couldn't get on with Sketchup at all. He just wanted to draw some basic cabinets for his office as this isn't what he does. Once he tried fusion he was flying through. I do it partly for the fun of using the program. I get bored out of my backside at work so this is a way of stretching my grey matter a bit.

Cabinetry and woodwork isn't earning me any real money. The bed was the first thing I got paid for. While it would be nice to do a couple of thousand a month in built ins, for the short term its going to be more handyman type stuff while I learn and do more. I also get a little nepotism work for our holiday cottage business as I now deal with all of the maintainance jobs there and get paid for it. I've been doing TV for 18 years now and I'd very much like to not make it to 20!

Last edited:
They literally just want it left as edge exposed birch ply. Makes life easier for me at least! I'd have no idea what to do otherwise as I've only recently used my first bit of edge banding let alone trying to steam bend something.

As far as using Sketchup or Fusion, I think a lot of pros don't bother, Peter above didn't and that London Craftsman also doesn't and he's banging out 50-60 units a year. There's a time element but also maybe also if you make it look right in the drawing and then something happens on the job that means it looks different, people might get picky. If you just do a simple 2D drawing with dimensions then its maybe less easy to picture how it should look, so its more difficult to complain that it doesn't exactly match! Not only that, if you know how to build it then you don't need to draw it up. I've built a workshop and a utility cupboard and a bed, I don't know how to build a giant built in bookcase so this helps me see it a bit better and try to see problems I might encounter.

My brother couldn't get on with Sketchup at all. He just wanted to draw some basic cabinets for his office as this isn't what he does. Once he tried fusion he was flying through. I do it partly for the fun of using the program. I get bored out of my backside at work so this is a way of stretching my grey matter a bit.

Cabinetry and woodwork isn't earning me any real money. The bed was the first thing I got paid for. While it would be nice to do a couple of thousand a month in built ins, for the short term its going to be more handyman type stuff while I learn and do more. I also get a little nepotism work for our holiday cottage business as I now deal with all of the maintainance jobs there and get paid for it. I've been doing TV for 18 years now and I'd very much like to not make it to 20!
You make some valid points there re drawings, I just get asked as some can't picture it in their head so I normally do hand drawings for them. If you haven't already got one may I make a helpful suggestion, when you have to use edgebanding, I'm guessing you've used iron on, buy a edging cutter, amazon £5-£9 depending on make, single or twin cutter, when I first discovered one after years of careful Stanley knife tidying, couldn't believe the time and heartache it saved me! No more lining one edge up for it to shrink back when cool, and after ironing & hand trimming endless metres one does get brain ache! 😂 Then just use a block & 120 grit with a forward but 45° downward motion and life is rosy again! Can I be nosey & ask what your TV job is? My friend owned Merlin tv. And whereas your holiday cottage as we're looking for a break away once we're all out on parole! 😉😊

You make some valid points there re drawings, I just get asked as some can't picture it in their head so I normally do hand drawings for them. If you haven't already got one may I make a helpful suggestion, when you have to use edgebanding, I'm guessing you've used iron on, buy a edging cutter, amazon £5-£9 depending on make, single or twin cutter, when I first discovered one after years of careful Stanley knife tidying, couldn't believe the time and heartache it saved me! No more lining one edge up for it to shrink back when cool, and after ironing & hand trimming endless metres one does get brain ache! 😂 Then just use a block & 120 grit with a forward but 45° downward motion and life is rosy again! Can I be nosey & ask what your TV job is? My friend owned Merlin tv. And where's your holiday cottage as we're looking for a break away once we're all out on parole! 😉😊
If you're interested to save you searching : wolfcraft 4300000 Edge Trimmer single or Stanley STHT0-16139 Laminate Trimmer, Black/Yellow

@Chippysu ahh thanks for that. Did you say you were trying to line one side of the edge banding up? The very little I've done (maybe 12m) I just made sure it overlapped on all 4 sides so shrinkage wasn't a problem. I did then try a multitude of ways of trimming it back and in the end settled on a chisel to remove the bulk and a bit of 120 at 45 degrees to finish it off.

My TV job is working mostly for the Premier League. I'dy ourr on holiday in some foreign place and watching it it's probably left my little room near Heathrow. Have worked on live TV for 18 years now!

As for the cottages I'll drop you a pm.

@Chippysu ahh thanks for that. Did you say you were trying to line one side of the edge banding up? The very little I've done (maybe 12m) I just made sure it overlapped on all 4 sides so shrinkage wasn't a problem. I did then try a multitude of ways of trimming it back and in the end settled on a chisel to remove the bulk and a bit of 120 at 45 degrees to finish it off.

My TV job is working mostly for the Premier League. I'dy ourr on holiday in some foreign place and watching it it's probably left my little room near Heathrow. Have worked on live TV for 18 years now!

As for the cottages I'll drop you a pm.
We live in Ashford near Heathrow, kettle's always on! (hubby was BA engineering for 46 years, retired 2019.) We support local Brentford & Chelsea for big club. oh forgot to say, I have both types of trimmer to cover all bases and don't waste money on replacement blades, the blades are robust enough to be sharpened.

We live in Ashford near Heathrow, kettle's always on! (hubby was BA engineering for 46 years, retired 2019.) We support local Brentford & Chelsea for big club. oh forgot to say, I have both types of trimmer to cover all bases and don't waste money on replacement blades, the blades are robust enough to be sharpened.
Well when you hear the commentary talk about VAR being at Stockley Park, I'm the floor below them!

I'll investigate more on doing edge banding. Once I'd got my method sorted for that utility cabinet it was fine.It looked a bit ropey on the panels I'd done like trying to work it out though!

Been beavering away on jobs around the house adn farm for the last few weeks, but I can finally say that drainage for the guttering is in place which is nice.

I also took delivery of my new filter for the extractor. I'll get some words written up for it once I'm sorted as I think I can get away with significantly shrinking the footprint of the extractor now without any loss on flow. For the inquisitive the filter was from djnuk.co.uk. Dan was very helpful when trying to work out what kind of filter I needed and unlike normal woodworking filters sold everywhere else, these actually have associated spec sheets and technical diagrams and can be made to any length you want and in about 10 different diameters for different machines. In my case it was a CS495 with a 600mm filter material. The top cap is a thick but flexible rubber type material which eased with gentle persuasion over the extractor.

Materials are supplied to them by WWW.NORDIC-AIR-FILTRATION.COM where you can also find the spec sheets for the various filter media. In this cases their 909 flavour.
1619275946702.png

I am still yet to progress with this bookcase unit my friends want me to build. An element of cocking up a 3m wide 2.5m tall birch ply monstrosity looms.

Last edited:
Back