Tools you wish someone would produce

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Night Train

Established Member
Reaction score
I am planning a stage build out for the theatre at the moment and so putting together my tools to do the job in one go. I am packing both a circular saw and a 200mm SCMS.

It got me thinking.
What I really wanted was a small cheap radial arm type saw on the scale of my little 200mm SCMS.
Maybe a conventional style SCMS where the blade and motor could be rotated 90 deg for simple ripping of narrow boards. Doesn't need to be complex but just enough for a bit of site work.

I don't think anyone makes one though.

What tools or machines do you wish someone would produce?

CNC Paul":1cx5w1xf said:
Have a look at the Dewalt DW711 or the Metabo KGT300
I was thinking of the really low end budget as my small SCMS was only £50 and excellent. Also those don't seem to slide.

I shall be stroppy until a sub £100 mini radial arm saw in made! :wink:

Night Train":1lr37ewx said:
CNC Paul":1lr37ewx said:
Have a look at the Dewalt DW711 or the Metabo KGT300
I was thinking of the really low end budget as my small SCMS was only £50 and excellent. Also those don't seem to slide.

I shall be stroppy until a sub £100 mini radial arm saw in made! :wink:

I think you will have a long wait

A 3d sketchup printer. You just design something, hit print and out comes a dining table and 8 chairs ;)

A proper router table.

In other words, a small spindle moulder with dedicated induction motor with a good fence and a decent rise and fall mechanism facilitating cutter change above the table. Variable speed within the range of a hand-held router.

The whole idea of slinging a hand-held router upside down under a table to achieve the same result is so 'Heath Robinson', no matter how sophisticated the router-lift or the fence you might add.

A specially designed machine is required.

Cheers
Brad

BradNaylor":1n965sir said:
A proper router table.

In other words, a small spindle moulder with dedicated induction motor with a good fence and a decent rise and fall mechanism facilitating cutter change above the table. Variable speed within the range of a hand-held router.

The whole idea of slinging a hand-held router upside down under a table to achieve the same result is so 'Heath Robinson', no matter how sophisticated the router-lift or the fence you might add.

Cheers
Brad

What he said!!

I reckon they'd sell a few of those ( well - at least two!!).

BradNaylor":3akl0rof said:
A proper router table.

Cheers
Brad
Brad - Axminster did in fact make something like this severial years ago now and they called it a 'shaper' if memory serves...something 'twixt a dedicated router in a table and a small spindle, with various small collets to hold different sized router bits...unfortunately discontinued a long time ago :( - Rob

wizer":3hagdbis said:
A 3d sketchup printer. You just design something, hit print and out comes a dining table and 8 chairs ;)

I had a look at a 3D printer at Uni, absolutely amazing piece of kit :shock:

Not big enough for a dining table or chairs though... Probably a small box maybe :D

In the US, Porter Cable do a power tool version of a bobbin sander (I've seen Norm use one and I think Rutlands used to stock it, years ago). Yet, I've never seen anything else like it over here (I guess they hold the patent).

I was going to suggest a portable disc sander in similar style, so you could accurately sand outside edges of large tops at 90° but, you can do the same thing with a router... :roll:

stuartpaul":23jzf30t said:
BradNaylor":23jzf30t said:
A proper router table.

Cheers
Brad

What he said!!

I reckon they'd sell a few of those ( well - at least two!!).

Is this anything like what is required? It uses regular router cutters as well!

http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.php/s ... sn/WDSBS52

Frankly Brad I'm amazed that some company hasn't yet taken that route. It is an obvious development of the router table, and the number of tables sold should have given some bright young thing in the sales office a hint by now!

Roy.

A modern version of a Stanley 51/52 would be nice, it's a bit like when they stopped flying Concorde when they stopped production of that. We actually regressed a bit as there wasn't something better to replace it

Night Train":1ykg0xjy said:
I am planning a stage build out for the theatre at the moment and so putting together my tools to do the job in one go. I am packing both a circular saw and a 200mm SCMS.

It got me thinking.
What I really wanted was a small cheap radial arm type saw on the scale of my little 200mm SCMS.
Maybe a conventional style SCMS where the blade and motor could be rotated 90 deg for simple ripping of narrow boards. Doesn't need to be complex but just enough for a bit of site work.

I don't think anyone makes one though.

What tools or machines do you wish someone would produce?

whats this then? folds flat aswell

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dewalt-Radial-Arm ... 7C294%3A50

Back