tool sharpening

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david

Established Member
Reaction score
hello to you all
i have only been turning for six weeks or so and have now aquired several tools from ebay.
my problem is sharpening them correctly.
i even purchased a roberty sorby jig and thats as useful as a chocolate fire guard.
does anyone know of a tool sharpening service around my area where i can get them done.
i live in garstang and not far from preston or lancaster in lancashire.
sorry if i sound in despair but i just cannot get the tools as they should be.
in anticipation to you all,
a merry xmas to you all and happy turning,
regards
david.

David are you using a white stone on a grinder, the carborundum stones are too aggressive make sure you are using a n aluminium oxide stone.

The Sorby jig does work well I assume it is the Universal sharpening system. The key is understanding the grind you want and the relation ship to chisel flute shape and how the position of the chisel and angle of the jig affect the grind.

It may be advantageous to visit your nearest woodturning club there are a few near you. I am sure they will be happy to help you. I would be happy to help but I am in West Yorkshire and a little to far from you.

hi russell
thanks for your reply
yes i am using a white stone and trying to follow the angles that are already formed on the tools.
but even using the jig i cant guarantee the correct angle's.
being totally honest i do not really know what the correct angles shoud be and so many different tools with different angles has become a nightmare,
i shall have to do some searching for a club where someone could possibly show me the basics or where i am going wrong.
very best regards
david.

David you will find some guide to angles HERE
or in the Keith Rowley Book

In most instances a simple tool rest as described in the Keith Rowley book and shown Shown Here on the right is all that is needed for scrapers and simple gouge forms.

Hi david

My workshop is just up the road from you, in Galgate, I'm not the world's greatest lathe tool sharpener - but I can show you how I do mine and they're pretty effective.

pm me if you'd like to call in.

Chris.

thank you to all of you for your great advice
hopefully when i have been to see chris at his workshop i will be that much wiser in my problem with sharpening tools.
thanks again.
david.

David, buying or borrowing a copy of Keith Rowleys book would be a very good step in the right direction, it covers much more than just sharpening, and will answer a lot of the questions you have not thought of yet!!
Good luck

GT :)

Hi David, don't give up on the sharpening jig. They all work, its just they have a learning curve as with most things in turning.

Where most beginners go wrong is that they expect the jig to shape the tool tip for them. BIG mistake, all any jig does is take the variables out of the sharpening process while you move the tool across the stone face. The one big problem with all jigs is that you must start to sharpen with the proper profile. So with most new turning tools you have to shape the initial tip profile yourself, so you had best try to find someone who can show you how to shape the tools first. Then when you use your jig after that you can follow the shape.

thanks for the advice gt,,and tam,and all the other turners who have mastered the art of tool sharpening,
i do have keith's book and will have to do some more reading up,
as regards the jig i use it is a robert sorby fingernail profiler and i am trying to use it to sharpen all my tools,
hopefully after i have visited chris in his workshop nr lancaster tomorrow i should be a little wiser and maybe pick up a few pointers from him,
i shall keep you all posted on any improvements that i make.
thenkyou all once again,
regards david.

hello again to all of you for your advice and encouragment to me.
i have been invited to visit to see chris (scrums) workshop nr lancaster and what a gentleman he is,
not only did he show me how to sharpen tools correctly,,he also sharpened all of mine, and there's more,,,he showed me the correct way to hold tools,explained the importance of tool rest height and even turned a bowl for me so i could watch and learn his teqhnique.
and to cap it all even gave me some blanks.
i cant praise chris enough for the tuition he has given and he has boosted my confidence no end
sorry if you think i am going on but i feel credit to all you turners is well and truly deserved especially when you take the time out to show novices like me how to do things in the proper way.
many many thanks to chris and all the other turners on here.
a merry xmas to you all.
regards
david.

Well Done David, you are lucky to have someone near you to help.
I also have the Sorby jigs but it is'nt that easy when you are alone in your workshop and you feel that you will never ever get the hang of sharpening. Also when turning i do not feel very confident and having someone to point you in the right direction would help. :oops:

Back