tool kit for newbie

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xylocephalo

Reaction score
Hello all.
I am recently retired..lucky me.. my background is in the scientific/engineering profession,so I am of a very practical bent (excuse the expression).
I would like to "get into" woodworking a bit more seriously now that I have a bit of time .
To this end,I would like to ask advice on buying tools. I have the basics..hammer,decent saws electric drills electric planer power saw etc.,but firstly I really need to buy a decent hand plane. I know that there are the "Rolls Royces" of the plane world..and have read the posts on this forum about them. I am after something suitable for a relative beginner which would not need fettled (the plane that is)
I an expecting to spend up to £50,so recommendations would be welcome,for example Amazon have a Stanley Handyman 1H1204 at £27.99 ...would this be a sensible buy? Thanks in advance .

have a read of this thread

I doubt very much that there is any plane out there under £50 (dare I say £100) which doesn't need fettling.

added:
my url is the sameone that Andy just linked to.

Avoid modern Stanleys! Ebay has some bargains, as does Ray Iles, usually, although his website is being less than helpful at the moment - you can phone him on 01507 525697 or email him at [email protected]. Phoning is better.

That Stanley is a #4, equivalent to a Record 04 for reference. If you see anything you like I'm sure that knowledgeable people on here will be happy to give you a range of opinions.

xylocephalo":epghrjmq said:
Hello all.
I am recently retired..lucky me.. my background is in the scientific/engineering profession,so I am of a very practical bent (excuse the expression).
I would like to "get into" woodworking a bit more seriously now that I have a bit of time .
To this end,I would like to ask advice on buying tools. I have the basics..hammer,decent saws electric drills electric planer power saw etc.,but firstly I really need to buy a decent hand plane. I know that there are the "Rolls Royces" of the plane world..and have read the posts on this forum about them. I am after something suitable for a relative beginner which would not need fettled (the plane that is)
I an expecting to spend up to £50,so recommendations would be welcome,for example Amazon have a Stanley Handyman 1H1204 at £27.99 ...would this be a sensible buy? Thanks in advance .

If you can wait until all the holiday spirit is past, I think I can find you a nice old Record No. 4, that will be better than anything you can buy today. At the moment I can't get into the shop for the snow! I intend to hibernate with a bottle of Taylor's 6 year old Port and a nice Stilton!

Just give me a PM when you are ready.

Regards and a Merry Christmas

John
:ho2

For starter I'm not gonna right that name everytime, can we settle for xy? :lol:
This subject is a regular, and one we all face when we start, my answer is, do you know what you want to do?
If you're keen on the idea of turning then a lathe is top of the list, if you like the idea of furniture making then a TS, planer and thicknesser are probably right up there.
If you haven't formed any idea on what you want to make, leave the tool buying till you start.
The big danger we all face, I did, is falling in love with the idea of a workshop fully of lovely big machines.
Buy what you need, not what you want, it's a lot cheaper that way! :lol:

Roy.

xylocephalo":t4xq4szv said:
I am ,for example Amazon have a Stanley Handyman 1H1204 at £27.99 ...would this be a sensible buy? Thanks in advance .

Hello Xylo and welcome

To be frank the plane you suggest would be money down the drain.

In your shoes, I'd snatch Benchwayze arm off.
Whatever it costs it will be an excellent buy; knowing both John & the type of plane he is offering.

Smudger":2emsd0tk said:
That's a damn fine offer.

Haven't got a fettled 05½ I suppose...

Smudger,

A Stanley yes, but it's a 1970's job with a broken resin handle. On my 'tuit' list for fettling, an older standard blade and walnut tote and front-knob.

John :ho2

There's one on Fleabay (looks OK) for £45 buy-it-now. It's been there for 6 weeks. When do you think the seller will catch on?

I just need to stop being idle and go out to look for one!

Digit":n89l3uao said:
For starter I'm not gonna right that name everytime, can we settle for xy? :lol:
This subject is a regular, and one we all face when we start, my answer is, do you know what you want to do?
If you're keen on the idea of turning then a lathe is top of the list, if you like the idea of furniture making then a TS, planer and thicknesser are probably right up there.
If you haven't formed any idea on what you want to make, leave the tool buying till you start.
The big danger we all face, I did, is falling in love with the idea of a workshop fully of lovely big machines.
Buy what you need, not what you want, it's a lot cheaper that way! :lol:

Roy.

I really want a decent quality hand plane for everyday general use. I had an old record which was "borrowed" some time ago & need a replacement.I guess that this forum is aimed at furniture makers & the like..I do not have the skills for that ,I am just an average DIY guy,but have a fair bit of experience having built one house & restored another also built a couple of boats etc over the years,I already have a a workshop full of big old machines ,so am not in the business of throwing hard earned cash away. I just want to buy something I can pick up & use

I thought about it, but to be honest, I've gone off buying from the bay. I got a brilliant Stanley #5 - straight from a craftsman by the look of it, and some other good stuff, but also some duds. There don't seem to be the numbers of pictures on ebay any more, so it's difficult to tell condition, and so many sellers are a bit optimistic in describing the condition of tools. I'd rather hang out in some old tool shops, and maybe put an order in! Or get off my a**e and contact Ray Iles - I have a hankering for one of his reground jobbies, which I understand are amazingly reasonable and work straight out of the box (which would be invaluable for a newcomer). Has anybody gone that route?

Which is why I think the OP should be beating your door down! A decent plane, properly set up so that he can see what it can do. A bargain at any price.

Edit - xylo, we cross posted. I was answering the post above yours.

OK xylo

I would suggest for DIY jobs etc a decent Jack-plane is what you need.
It's a good all-rounder.

I never yet picked up a plane I could use straight out of the box. New or used. Even a Lie Nielsen needs a secondary bevel put on the iron. (well I think so!)

If you want to use a Jack for smoothing, you just need to pay attention to its honing, and know it's flat. after that it's plain-sailing as you might say.

Item 360219283245 on ebay right now looks okay. To look at, it needs a new blade I would say, but you might get some use out of the one that's there. The plane is likely to need fettling though.

John :)

Xylo

We are NOT all pros most of us started out (quite recently in my case) like you. Many of us are useless at woodwork.

Ignore that silly description next to our names its just a reflection on how many posts we have made. Nothing to do with skill levels at all.

The plane Benchwayze is offering you is an ideal starter

It may be a smidge more than you are willing to pay, but the new planes from t'orient that Matthew at Workshop Heaven has recently started to sell (and one is on 'passround' at the moment) seem excellent value for money and would be worth more than cursory examination

Agree about BW's Record...an excellent choice - Rob

Hi, with a background in engineering i would recommend you buy a used record or stanley plane from ebay etc. the type with wooden handles,
Then you can take it apart clean it and reassemble it and learn how they work by fine tuning it as you go
The size is personal preference i tend to use a 4, 5 and 7

awkwood":i2hz11lu said:
The size is personal preference i tend to use a 4, 5 and 7

As awkwood mentioned, size is a personal preference, my preference is for a #3, 5 1/2 and a 7 (all Clifton by the way :wink: :D )

Cheers

Aled

just buy a good iron and chip breaker like a Hock and make your own plane.. I made a bunch and it takes about the same time (and is a whole lot more fun) as tuning up a cheap steel one. in the end a plane is just a blade holder so, if you have a good blade then half the battle is won already. the other half is a flat sole which is fast and easy with wood.. you can make several different lengths and decide what suits your work before investing in steel.

I have a collection of steel planes now and the wood ones sit in the tool box, not because they don't work as well as the steel, it's that I don't like tapping and nudging to adjust them all the time. a turn of a wheel is sooooo much quicker and easier but the wood ones taught me which sizes I really use before spending $200.00 to $300.00 on a shiny shelf ornament..

Latest posts

Back