Too large for a door

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stormer1940

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been asked to price up a 4 centered arched door frame and door. Now the width of the door will be a large 1156mm x 2080mm ish.

My question is - Is this too large for a door? More concerned about the width than the height.

The construction of the door will be:

1/3rd glazed. Top part will be have a Georgian bar type design

Below the glazing will be a mid rail, approx 160mm (This rail will be jointed into the stiles using a diminished shoulder up into the glazed area)

Below that rail will be the middle rail, approx 160mm

Bottom rail approx 200mm

TGV matchboard infill 15/18mm braced on the back

Stile width 120mm

Door thickness between 44 - 57mm

Glazing will be possibly slimlite units

Timber will be Euro Oak

Hung on 4 no ball bearing 4" hinges

Cheers

It is no different to an old fashioned timber garage door. A pair of which would be close to 8' so one door would be about the width you have. I made a pair 10 years ago and they are fine. As long as there is a substantial brace, I see no problem

My concern would be the door dropping and resulting in an ugly uneven gap between head of door and frame rebate in head.

Probably best as a 58mm thick door

It is certainly a complex door to make, with arched head, gunstock stiles, glazing bars butting up to a curved head -lots of work.

We all like a challenge :shock:

I can see there is a lot of work, just hope the customer can see that :lol:

The other option is to make the door into a set of french doors but not a half and half split, maybe 1/3 one part and 2/3rd the other to give a wider entrance door.

Back