toesy simple Bandsaw Box - WIP with Pics

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toesy

Established Member
Reaction score
Didn't see a forum suitable - sorry if admins/mods want to move.

Been wanting to have a go for ages, bought a second hand bandsaw, which was actually never used, so brand new.

Glued up some maple & cherry wood yesterday and cut it down on the bandsaw, bit weird but I was a little chuffed/

Here's where I am at so far, this little bandsaw box measures 125mm x 72mm x 80mm deep.

Now I normally finish my projects with Danish Oil. Any suggestions would be welcome.

It will have a little handle, small feet, rather simple as its my 1st attempt.

Attachments

• BS001FOP.jpg
    BS001FOP.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 1,385
  • BS001FDO.jpg
    BS001FDO.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 1,385
  • BS001TOP.jpg
    BS001TOP.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 1,385
I would go with a very pale shellac or even a sanding sealer and wax. The maple will tend to yellow with an oil finish, I can't say that I have done a lot with cherry but I expect that an oil would darken it (quite nicely).

marcros":phtvh6ph said:
I would go with a very pale shellac or even a sanding sealer and wax. The maple will tend to yellow with an oil finish, I can't say that I have done a lot with cherry but I expect that an oil would darken it (quite nicely).

Is that the same as French Polish ?

Effectively yes. I always think of French polish being button polish, a rich brown colour. Whether that is correct or not I don't know.

It is all made from shellac - the resin of the lac beetle- with various levels of refinement giving the different colours. A bit of sanding sealer and a microcrystalline wax would work well though.

Looks good Toese, I did one at Christmas for my sister, I find it is a good way to use up off cuts, just bond them together and cut, which gives an interesting mix of wood texture and colour.

I hate throwing anything away.

Take care.

Chris R.

Nice one toesy, these bandsaw boxes really appeal to me. One of the reasons I wanted a little bandsaw was to have a go at something like this. The ones I see in York occasionally are fantastic, although I couldn't even dream of making anything as good as those.

Very neat job. Have you bought your flocking yet? It should finish it off well, but dont forget to seal the inside of the drawer well and mask the outer edges before using the coloured glue to prevent the colour getting into the grain.

Alex

Hi Alex / all

Yes I ordered flocking from turners retreat, arrived and the box was all green on the outside, I thought something else had been spilt over it, but when I opened the box, it was the green tin of adhesive, one quick phone call and Beckie promised to send out next day the replacements. And they arrived next day. Great service and very well handled.

Done my first bit tonight and well happy, so hope to finish the box this weekend - will post pictures.

Look forward to seeing that. I have the black and red, which are great, but thinking of adding more colours. Turners Retreat are very efficient, when I ordered, it was here very quickly. A good company to deal with.

Lousey weather today, but if tomorrow looks better, may call you about coming over

Alex

Hi all,

Alex - your more than welcome to pop over

Some final pics, this is another one I have made for my sister who wanted something for her friends 40th.

Attachments

• BSBno2 Front.jpg
    BSBno2 Front.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 1,048
  • BSBno2 Rear Personalised.jpg
    BSBno2 Rear Personalised.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 1,048
  • BSBno2 Rear of Drawer.jpg
    BSBno2 Rear of Drawer.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 1,048
  • BSBno2 Drawer Open.jpg
    BSBno2 Drawer Open.jpg