Todays effort

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul.J

Established Member
Reaction score

Here is todays effort.
It is a piece of Holly.90mm dia-65mm high.
Finished as described by Chas. :D Smooooth as a babys bottom.
As had been said before on the forum you can't appreciate the grain pattern with a photo :roll:Any tips would be welcome. :wink:
Paul.J.

Some acute changes of section there, well done.

Finish looks Ok, did you find it easy to apply?

Hello Chas.
Thanks for the comments.
Yes i found applying the sealer and the wax fine.
I used to do a little polishing in the jewellery trade so know how to use the cloth.Still worries me a little though. :?
Followed your instructions and must admit it as made a difference.
Wife and kids say it looks plastic :cry:
The Holly is great to turn :D
What else do i need to do to get a deeper sheene.Apply more than one coat of wax :?:
Paul J.

Paul.J":3gv2ps1i said:
...snip...What else do i need to do to get a deeper sheene.Apply more than one coat of wax :?:
Paul J.

Can do if you wait a while for the wax to harden, the longer the better.

Alternately you can use burnishing cream to increase the gloss level of the sealer before waxing, try multiple thin coats of sealer between burnishing.

Melamine enhanced lacquer gives a higher gloss level but is not so easy to apply, I have to dilute it about 20%, the Spray Can version is easer than the wipe on to use, like all spraying just be careful of runs.

If you use melamine and wish to go for max gloss I find it best to leave it 24 hrs to harden before burnishing.

Don't burnish sealer with cream prior to applying Laquer, just de-nib it. (lacquer may not bond too well)

See Chestnuts Site for Methods to try

Paul, Just a comment on the rim area of your turning, next time you try something similar if you can, undercut the wall a little on the inside of the rim the shadow effect created will make it look thinner walled.
The perceived effect is greater than the actual.

You may be able to see the effect Here and Here

Another piece of Holly finished,three in one week :shock:
Remember not too long ago it took me most the day to do one bowl :roll:
Height 4-1/2" by 4" dia.
Paul.J.

Very nice Paul - you certainly like challenging yourself,and the shapes and curves are excellent :D

Andrew

Here is todays effort.
It a piece of Ash that was in the scrap bin ready to be dumped,but when i saw it thought i'd give it a go and it turned out like this,not too bad i think :) .
It's got a few shakes but managed to stay together :roll:
It was turned end grain,and as the wood was old had dried out and was very hard.Just took my time with light cuts.
It is finished with sanding sealer and woodwax 22 :wink:
The bowl is 7" dia by 2" deep.
Paul.J.

You're dumping stuff that big? Where in Birmingham do you live!!!! :lol:

That looks like a really lovely piece of wood. Love it when there are knots and things giving it different grain patterns. Is that it's real colour or is it just the lighting? It looks sort of pinky on my machine.

Pete

I am obviously on the wrong track.

I have some yew which has cracks in it radiating from the pith. I have not been using it thinking it was not the "done thing" to turn objects with this kind of flaw, but that is what wood does!

Back to the drawing board I think!

bwlossie":162t3s1y said:
I am obviously on the wrong track.

I have some yew which has cracks in it radiating from the pith. I have not been using it thinking it was not the "done thing" to turn objects with this kind of flaw, but that is what wood does!

Back to the drawing board I think!

Just be careful with the yew, try and mount it in compression (on a spigot) and treat cracks with CA glue before you start.

It can break up on you without warning, there are bound to be micro cracks that you may not see as well.

Having said that I have never had a piece fly apart on me yet.

Good result there Paul, the figuring and finish more than make up for any imperfections in the wood IMO.

Thanks for the comment CHJ.
I have already had a few slivers fly off. That is the main reason I have not done more with the pieces I have got. I managed to acquire a couple of logs 3ft x approx. 8"

BODRIGHY WROTE
You're dumping stuff that big? Where in Birmingham do you live!!!!
Thanks Pete.
No i won't be throwing pieces like that away any more. :wink: This was found the other day when i was having a sort out.I got some logs from our local park about 4 years ago,from an Ash tree that had been felled,thinking i could use them for the posts on my rocking horses.That piece was an off cut which was wedge shaped and just sitting there on top of the rubbish bag. :)
Paul.J.[/quote]

Chas wrote
Good result there Paul, the figuring and finish more than make up for any imperfections in the wood IMO.

Thanks Chas.
Just taking some of your advice by not throwing anything away,which it seems i was doing back then :)
You just never know how a piece will turn out till you give it a go. :wink:
Paul.J.

BWLOSSIE WROTE
I have some yew which has cracks in it radiating from the pith.

Hello BWLOSSIE.
If you decide to give a piece a go that has flaws in it just be careful and take your time,checking often that the piece is still holding together.
Make sure you have a full face guard on,and be prepared for a piece to come off.If in doubt don't.
I like seeing the imperfections,but i do not take unnecessary risks.
Paul.J.

Here is todays offering.
Ash again with a repaired spilt :roll:
Bowl is 6" diam x 2-1/2" deep.Finished with sanding sealer and wax.

Paul.J.

Back