To glue or not to glue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFC

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.3m x 2.0m gate to make . It will be running on a sliding thingy and the construction is TVG rebated into a M&T frame . I'm wondering if i should glue the TVG into the rebate and along the T&G or not . The idea of gluing it would be to add to the strengh of the gate .
What say you guys ?

Hi Jason,

I would not glue the T & G, but I would stain or prime it before fitting the T & G....As the gate is on sliders there is less strain than flapping about on hinges. There can also be a lot of movement across the width of the T & G boards...... Are you going to fit a diagonal brace ?

Nice stuff on you website !!!

Paul

Jason

Definitely don't glue the TGV! DAMHIKT. As CNC paul says its amazing the amount of movement that you get over the year.

JFC":1uzfgn11 said:
It will be running on a sliding thingy

With that description I imagine the hardware suppliers will be able to put their hands on one of those straight away! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers

Tim

The plan was the builder was going to prime the tvg before i made the gate but he's told me he doesnt have time now and wont pay for my time to do it .......whadya do :roll:

Jason

Tell him politely if there is a problem with the gates it is down to him, going down this route may depend on how much work he passes your way.

Maybe just prime the rebates, faces of rails, T & G edges and backs

Paul

double your price, and dump the job mate :lol: :twisted:

i he has changed the spec after asking for a quote then stuff him :twisted:

paul :wink:

Don't glue it and any problems will be down to him to sort.
If there is any problems then charge him per hour to fix it.

It IS going to move and unless its primed before construction then the hidden bits WILL appear at some point.

My Gut reaction alarm is going off here - I think you could end up being blamed for this in the long run. Why should you do his work for free? I would walk.

Cheers

Tim

Yes i got a fair bit from him and hes a carpenter himself , he knows it will move and thats why the priming thing was mentioned . I knocked the price down because he was going to prime the tvg first so i'm not knocking it down and doing the work .

tim":1utoz4uh said:
Jason, Definitely don't glue the TGV!
I wouldn't try and glue the TGV either - not unless you've got several buckets of something very strong!

JFC":1utoz4uh said:
It will be running on a sliding thingy
They are called rails JFC and come all the way from Paris!

Sorry, I just couldn't resist that :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hat, coat, door . . .

Steve

JFC":2c0dwqcv said:
Yes i got a fair bit from him and hes a carpenter himself , he knows it will move and thats why the priming thing was mentioned . I knocked the price down because he was going to prime the tvg first so i'm not knocking it down and doing the work .

I'd put this down to experience and prime the gate, or at least just prime the ends.

When the gate looks a mess in the future no one will remember this debacle but they'll remember you made the gate.

Latest posts

Back