Stable Door...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would back up the non-use of Meranti - it was used as the bottom frame element of sliding glass doors we have and rotted out very early.

And I also join those with the lack of enthusiasm for stable doors. I helped a friend with such a door for his house some 15 years ago - and it has never been used for its split purpose.

With regard to nailing close to the end of a board and risking splitting it, a trick that has helped me on occasion is one I saw on one of Paul Sellers' videos. Cut the head off a nail of the size you intend to use, sharpen the facets of the tip to obtain a sharp point, and use it to pre-drill the board.
It's one thing risking splitting while nailing, it's another thing risking splitting due to subsequent expansion and contraction of the board. Another tip is simply to blunt the nail, so it tears the fibres on the way in, rather than splitting them apart as it would if it were sharp.

It's one thing risking splitting while nailing, it's another thing risking splitting due to subsequent expansion and contraction of the board. Another tip is simply to blunt the nail, so it tears the fibres on the way in, rather than splitting them apart as it would if it were sharp.
Well if you can avoid splitting while nailing you at least have the satisfaction of achieving one aspect of the job successfully. :)
Splitting due to other factors may be something beyond the control of the maker whatever their approach.
Blunting the tip of the nail is something I've also done for years, and continue to do, depending on the nature of the job.
The pre-drilling, with or without sharpening the tip, just happens to provide a particularly neat hole for a losthead nail.
More than one way to skin a cat, each to their own and all that. 🙂

Aligish,

Put down that meranti and put the kettle on - Because im just about to save you a fair few hours of machining.

So long as it's going to be painted, get yourself a sheet of 18mm Tricoya and router grooves into it, trim to size and bosch it in. Fully waterproof and no expansion. That panel even comes with a 50 year guarantee. Piece of cake

Louis

Aligish,

Put down that meranti and put the kettle on - Because im just about to save you a fair few hours of machining.

So long as it's going to be painted, get yourself a sheet of 18mm Tricoya and router grooves into it, trim to size and bosch it in. Fully waterproof and no expansion. That panel even comes with a 50 year guarantee. Piece of cake

Louis
Wonderful stuff Louis, I used Accoya for the first time the other day, very strange stuff.
Hadn’t heard of this indestructible MDF before so thanks for that. Ian

Wonderful stuff Louis, I used Accoya for the first time the other day, very strange stuff.
Hadn’t heard of this indestructible MDF before so thanks for that. Ian

Tricoya is great stuff, a joiners dream for external door panels. The downsides are it's a bit pricey and looks just like normal MDF so label your offcuts as you don't want to mix them up!

Keith Brown makes a gate from it in this video, I expect everyone thought it sounded great until he tells you the price at the end 😂

It’s expensive yes, just had a quick look online and about 215+ VAT for an 18 mil 8 x 4 sheet. Let’s hope it comes down a bit!
This was my first experience of Accoya, I was turning it and the static caused this wonderful? Effect. Ian
D2E823C8-E941-4E55-854D-8091B1948BBA.jpeg
83FB9B80-4968-46C8-A9ED-4C6392280623.jpeg

What the hell, where are you getting your prices from?? I pay £165 + Vat at Lathams. I am their golden boy though. The bloke in that video said £250!!

Hopefully come down in price? Ha! wouldn't count on it. But I wouldn't be surprised if it stayed around £200+ VAT per sheet. Don't think people will pay much more than that. (Although I would personally haha)

Louis

I don't think anything will reduce in price,mental market at present.

What the hell, where are you getting your prices from?? I pay £165 + Vat at Lathams. I am their golden boy though. The bloke in that video said £250!!

Hopefully come down in price? Ha! wouldn't count on it. But I wouldn't be surprised if it stayed around £200+ VAT per sheet. Don't think people will pay much more than that. (Although I would personally haha)

Louis
As I said, I just had a quick look online.
But I know where you’re coming from though Louis. A lot of the prices people quote on here for timber are just way out, Ian

Latest posts

Back