Titebond Cold Press Veneer Glue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neilricketts

Established Member
Reaction score
Hiya, i have just recently done some veneering with this glue and i thought i would share my opinion on this glue.

The task was to veneer some real wood oak and walnut veneer to some 18mm mdf. I have used a vacuum press for the clamping of the panels.

The glue itself is a light chocolately brown in colour and is reasonably thick. The instructions on the bottle say to clamp for 45mins to 2 hours depending on conditions. I used a 4" rubber stamp roller to apply an even coat of glue to the mdf and placed a piece of oak veneer to it. I then turned it over and did the same to the other side. Placed it in the bag and clamped it for 1 hour. When it was removed there was no evidence of bleed through which i was extremely happy with. However the following day when i checked the panel the veneer had bubbled on one side.

So with the second and third panel i followed the same procedure but left the panel in the press for 2 hours. Once removed still no evidence of bleed through and no bubbles. The following day checked the panels again and still no bubbles this time.

Same procedure again with the walnut veneer no bleed through and after 2 hours clamp time no bubbles. I have also used it to veneer the edge of the mdf and used normal clamps and cauls with no problems at all.

The glue does darked has it dries not lighter like normal glue but so far i am extremely happy with it.

Any comments are always welcome

Cheers Neil

When you put the panel in the bag press, did you use a flat panel above and below the veneer as a caul? I've had a similar problem with titebond cold press, and normal pva, I ironed out the blisters, but they reappeared when i sprayed the panel with a water bourne lacquer, but they disappeared as it dried.

Hi, yes i did use a caul top and bottom. I also made the mistake of making the caul larger than the panel i was veneering. This resulted in the caul being bent slightly on the edges and i noticed that it was raising in the middle which i think is probably what caused the bubbles in my first piecebecause their was not enough pressure in the centre, which is where the bubbles appeared. i solved this by placing some narrow pieces down the sides to prevent the caul from curling. According to www.joewoodwork.com pva glue is no good for veneering because it doesn't dried rock hard but still allows a little bit of movement.

Latest posts

Back