Oak Veneer Advise

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdrianUK

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to replace a panel that has oak veneer on both sides, having never worked with veneer before, any advise would be appreciated.

Old panel is ply board approx 520mm x 320mm and 150mm thick with veneer on both sides.

Sourcing similar thickness ply proved difficult, and I’d prefer something more rigid so will use 3.5mm and plan to just use veneer on one side as the inside will not be visible.

What is the best way to apply new veneer, is there an easy technique to follow?

Any particular adhesive best or can just use standard wood glue?

The old veneer is to far gone to make use of, however playing around with cutting it, I note that there’s a tendency for knife to follow the grain rather than perfectly straight cut, what’s the best approach to cutting veneer? Are oak veneers particularly difficult over others to work?

We need you to clarify the thicknesses involved.
As well as typical thin veneers 1.0 - 0.8 mm thick, there are construction veneers 2-3mm thick which are possibly easier to handle for a beginner.
Clamping and making cauls to apply pressure to the drying veneer will be needed unless you can borrow a vacuum bag.

1. 3.5mm? That is not very rigid.
2. With no previous experience I would recommend purchased iron-on veneer. It will come in pre-cut widths which will be easy to joint to get the 520mm.
3. Yes, oak can be difficult because it alternates hard and soft across the growth rings and the blade will prefer the soft. The trick is to cut such that any splits will go into the waste wood.
4. You can make your own iron-on veneer by coating both surfaces (veneer and substrate) with PVA. Leave it to set then apply the veneer and soften PVA with an iron.
5. Always best to apply veneer to both sides on panels.
Brian

Thanks for the replies.
To clarify, the original ply board was 15mm thick.
The new veneer I’ve been offered is .6mm thick.
I was not aware of needing to apply on both sides to stop the panel warping, I had wondered why the original was when the inside would never be seen, very useful thank you.
Iron on sounds like it may be a better / easier solution.

Back