Oak and burr chestnut blanket box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hornbeam

Established Member
Reaction score
This project was a bit spur of the moment as I had purchased a large quantity of oak at £10 a cube from a closing down sale and also had some burr chestnut veneer as freebee from a large veneer order
The chestnut burr was quite crinkly and a few holes and splits were evident
First thing to do was soften and flatten the veneer
I use a warm water spray and then pressed the sheets beween paper and some chipboard plattens. Change the paper every few hours and the difference is quite remarkable. The originally brittle veneer becomes much softer and pliable
20221126_185023.jpg

Next the small cracks were taped and any small holes filled with a glue sawdust mixture. It really pays to take care here as any small hole can lead to glue bleed through
The chest design was based on a panelled look with all burr chest nut panels 150mm square
I had enough veneer for the required 32 panels
Once everything had been filled the panels were arranged to give the best figure matches which is roughly quartered with the framework between. These were placed onto 12mm birch ply sheets and pressed in my home made vacuum press. The reaar side is balanced with an oak veneer, which is laid as 1 sheet as the panelling effect is only visible on the outside
Once pressed the panels were trimmed and sanded to 240grit
20221119_194755.jpg
I did this using a track saw set to 3mm depth, which gave a very clean edge to the veneer and makes it quite easy to rout out the material between the panels to a depth of 2.5mm
This leaves a very small groove at the edge of each trench. This was deliberate as it reduces any glue squeeze out when the cross rails are fitted

20221119_194822.jpg

Cross rails in oak were cut and jointed to fit in the grooves and then glued into place. On the image you can see the small tongues which will fit into the main frame. They are the same depth in as the rebate on the back of the panel so when it is all pulled up tight everything pulls together front and rear of the panel

20221119_194622.jpg

The main frame is made from 20mm thick oak with mortice and tennons. I rebated the back of the panels so they would fit into a 10mm groove which was routed into the rails and stiles

Each panel was then glued up in the same manner
20221119_194333.jpg
Once everything was dry the cross members which had been cut to sit 1/2mm proud were planed flush with thee external panel frame

The base panel was made in the same way but using 2 large panels with 2mm bandsawn ceder of lebanon veneers onto 6nn birch plywood on both faces

Next stage assembly

Last edited:
After glue up the 6 panels were fully cleaned up This is the top panel ioutside and inside. This just needs a lot pf finishing and hinges
20221127_100733.jpg20221127_100748.jpg

This is the front panel with legs ready for the next stager
20221127_101114.jpg

The actual box carcase was glued up in 2 stages. The base was glues to the lower rail if the end. This is a simple but joint reenforced with size 20 biscuits which also provide alignment. It was easy to position the biscuits using the fence against the underside of the end rail and the lower surface of the base panel

Once dry the ends and base are carefully planed to ensure exactly the same width and no steps at the joint

The sides are also fitted with biscuits but alignment is more tricky. The base and ends are offered up to the side and then battens clamped in position
20221127_100936.jpg
The batten provides a reference edge for the base of the biscuit jointer, when biscuiting the sides. The marks from the batten are transferred round onto the inside of the ends which are then clamped to a flat surface so the biscuit jointer references from the base
One stressfull glue up later. The middle photo shows the book matched ceder of lebanon base panels and the end photo shoes the corner joint

20221127_101130.jpg20221127_101150.jpg20221127_101210.jpg

Time to try the lid on the box and make sure all the panels and rails line up
20221127_101357.jpg

This is as far as I have got. Next will be
a full clean up
fit hinges
2 internal oak lift out trays
Finish with Danish oil

Great work.
Can I ask?
Did you consider making the veneers as separate panels and cutting groves in the frame and cross members for them to sit in at any point during the design?

Did you consider making the veneers as separate panels and cutting groves in the frame and cross members for them to sit in at any point during the design?

Years ago I made a similar but larger chest using a frame with inset floating panels. While it is still going strong, I felt that the panels were quite weak as the smaller cross members are only 24mm X 20mm section, so potentially a larger person sitting in the wrong place might cause the panel to break at the cross halving joint, The way this one is constructed, the top is effectively 1/2 inch birch ply anybody sitting on it means the weight is carried by the whole width of teh panel. If I had wanted a panel effect inside as well 1 could have grooved the reverse side and fitted inserts
Ian

Years ago I made a similar but larger chest using a frame with inset floating panels. While it is still going strong, I felt that the panels were quite weak as the smaller cross members are only 24mm X 20mm section, so potentially a larger person sitting in the wrong place might cause the panel to break at the cross halving joint, The way this one is constructed, the top is effectively 1/2 inch birch ply anybody sitting on it means the weight is carried by the whole width of teh panel. If I had wanted a panel effect inside as well 1 could have grooved the reverse side and fitted inserts
Ian
Thanks for the explanation Ian.

I have now fitted the lid hinges and made the 2 lift out trays
The hinges I used were 21/2 inch Basta Parson solid brass hinges. The fitting to the back of the chest is a standard cut out recess for the hinge leaf . The lid of the box overhangs the front and back of teh chest so the hinge recess is set in. see image

20221214_140010.jpg

The recess is just fractionally wider than the hinge leaf to allow the hinge to open freely
20221214_140022.jpg
By very slightly adjusting the corresponding recess in the back of the box I have made it so the lid opens to about 93 degrees and the overhanging back acts like a stopped hinge
I used brass 1" X 6 gauge screws into the back rail but because of the thickness of the top an allowing for the hinge recess I used 5/8" X 6 gauge into the top. I might have got away with 3/4 for a bit more strength but its still a bit nerve wracking drilling pilot holes with only 1/8 before you pop right through, Fortunately no mishaps

The trays are 51/2 inches deep using 1/2 inch finished oak. The bases are 4 mm birch ply with bandsawn Cedar or Lebanon veneers on both sides.
I wanted the trays to be able to stack when they were taken out so the panel bases are fitted into slips which are glued in all round protruding 1/2" below the sides. See photo of off cut. I did all the radiusing before glue up but cut the groove for the panel after the slips were glued in
20221217_114553.jpg
The corners of the trays are long mitres cut on the table saw and then trimmed on the angled shooting board. These are strengthened with pairs of 3mm walnut keys. I like the aesthetic of the pairs of contrastiing keys.
20221217_114707.jpg
Trays are all now finished except for handles. These will be pairs of 3.4 inch leather strap handles fitted to the inside of the tray sides
This is the inside of the finished trays showing the slips and the matched cedar veneered panels (made from 3 pieces)
20221217_114749.jpg
Just started to apply the first of a number of coats of Danish Oil. Will post finished photos in a few days
Ian

This project was a bit spur of the moment as I had purchased a large quantity of oak at £10 a cube from a closing down sale and also had some burr chestnut veneer as freebee from a large veneer order
The chestnut burr was quite crinkly and a few holes and splits were evident
First thing to do was soften and flatten the veneer
I use a warm water spray and then pressed the sheets beween paper and some chipboard plattens. Change the paper every few hours and the difference is quite remarkable. The originally brittle veneer becomes much softer and pliable
View attachment 147988

Next the small cracks were taped and any small holes filled with a glue sawdust mixture. It really pays to take care here as any small hole can lead to glue bleed through
The chest design was based on a panelled look with all burr chest nut panels 150mm square
I had enough veneer for the required 32 panels
Once everything had been filled the panels were arranged to give the best figure matches which is roughly quartered with the framework between. These were placed onto 12mm birch ply sheets and pressed in my home made vacuum press. The reaar side is balanced with an oak veneer, which is laid as 1 sheet as the panelling effect is only visible on the outside
Once pressed the panels were trimmed and sanded to 240grit
View attachment 147990
I did this using a track saw set to 3mm depth, which gave a very clean edge to the veneer and makes it quite easy to rout out the material between the panels to a depth of 2.5mm
This leaves a very small groove at the edge of each trench. This was deliberate as it reduces any glue squeeze out when the cross rails are fitted

View attachment 147992

Cross rails in oak were cut and jointed to fit in the grooves and then glued into place. On the image you can see the small tongues which will fit into the main frame. They are the same depth in as the rebate on the back of the panel so when it is all pulled up tight everything pulls together front and rear of the panel

View attachment 147993

The main frame is made from 20mm thick oak with mortice and tennons. I rebated the back of the panels so they would fit into a 10mm groove which was routed into the rails and stiles

Each panel was then glued up in the same manner
View attachment 147994
Once everything was dry the cross members which had been cut to sit 1/2mm proud were planed flush with thee external panel frame

The base panel was made in the same way but using 2 large panels with 2mm bandsawn ceder of lebanon veneers onto 6nn birch plywood on both faces

Next stage assembly
Sorry. Dumb question I'm from Canada. What is a cube? " I bought £10 cube of oak"

cubic feet?

Sorry. Dumb question I'm from Canada. What is a cube? " I bought £10 cube of oak"

cubic feet?
Yes cubic foot, or 12' or 1"x12" board. £10 a cube is cheap as chips, i picked up a load of sycamore many moons ago for £20 a cube and regret not buying every board the chap had.

Back