Titan Planer Thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vic Perrin

Established Member
Reaction score
Brought one of these the other day and set it up today.

Titan TTB579PLN 204mm Planer Thicknesser 230V | Jointers & Thicknessers | Screwfix.com

For £135 with the 10% discount that I got I am well impressed with it

It is a really robust bit of kit manufactured I believe in Russia.

It comes with a 2 year guarantee, ok not for industrial or heavy work but for hobby use I think it really fits the bill.

Ran some oak and mahogany through it today for some segmented bowl work, well chuffed with the result.

Vic

After a few hours work put a piece of wood through the thicknesses and measure for correct thickness on both sides, if its uneven the bearing on the opposite side will need replacing

wizard":32og3elh said:
After a few hours work put a piece of wood through the thicknesses and measure for correct thickness on both sides, if its uneven the bearing on the opposite side will need replacing

If it's uneven it will go back as part of the 2 year guarantee !

Good to get some feedback on these machines- haven't seen a review of the Titan and people often ask about options on a limited budget.

Also bought one today and am taking it back as the beds aren't parallel. Guess it's a lottery.

I bought a unit on Saturday and found my beds are off by about 3 degrees. :evil: Having spent a while searching for an answer, it appears they can't be altered. It will be getting returned later.

It's quite sad as the rest of the machine appears to be fast and smooth (I was about to say quiet, but I had ear plugs in, and the wife wholly disagrees).

crt404":31cfq5et said:
........I was about to say quiet, but I had ear plugs in, and the wife wholly disagrees).
All these brush motored Chiwanese P/Ts (there are many "badge engineered" examples of the same product) are extremely noisy.

Better to spend a bit more and get one with an induction motor.

RogerP":38pe1npo said:
Better to spend a bit more and get one with an induction motor.

Unfortunately "a bit more" is more than 3 times as much unless you know of a cheaper induction motored P/T than the Record Power PT260

crt404":285ugw05 said:
I bought a unit on Saturday and found my beds are off by about 3 degrees. :evil: Having spent a while searching for an answer, it appears they can't be altered. It will be getting returned later.

It's quite sad as the rest of the machine appears to be fast and smooth (I was about to say quiet, but I had ear plugs in, and the wife wholly disagrees).

I am new to these machines how do you check if the beds are out

Vic

Vic Perrin":bxb13oze said:
crt404":bxb13oze said:

I am new to these machines how do you check if the beds are out

Vic[/quote

I checked the beds on the planer and they appear to be parallel . I also ran a piece of square stock over the planer and checked the stock for square after I had took off about 4 mm and it was fine.

Do I take it that my machine is ok ? Remembering that I have not used the thicknesser as yet.

Vic

I've just bought one of these too. So far, I have found the thicknesser to be great but the planer outfeed table is a little too low (getting snipe at the end of the board). I couldn't find a way to adjust the outfeed table but did have a go at lowering the blades. Unfortunately this has now resulted in me getting uneven cuts across the width of the board. I am going to try adjusting the blades again to see if I can get it right.

Overall though, I can't fault the machine for what it is - a cheap introduction to a planer thicknesser. My intention is to see how much I use it and, if I use it a lot, I will move on to something more substantial (Record PT260 or Axminster PT106 or AW106PT2).

Hi fellas,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm looking into picking one of these up for myself. I'm quite curious how you guys are finding these are holding up after six months or so?

I've been agonising over a P/T for ages, but £150 with a 2yr warranty is far less traumatic than the £700 odds of the Record Power one, for something likely to only get occasional use by me. So I'm all but ready to jump in & buy one so long as they're not all dead by now :)

Nic.

I've had one for a few days...

The first thing I did was to do some tests with pine, I found the jointer was taking half a mm when set for removing 3mm on the fence side... easily fixed by adjusting the blade and it now works just fine.

Although it's intended for hobby use I've been using it on an almost I industrial scale with hardwoods and I haven't had any problems and I've got no complaints.

I took the plunge and bought one of these a couple of days ago.

I will post some impressions in the next week or so...

I don't think you'll regret it. I'm only a hobbyist but after my chain saw, table saw, and scroll saw, it's probably the most used and most appreciated tool I've ever bought.

Back