Timber selection - advice sought

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knaus

Reaction score
Hello all

I'm looking at making one of those old fashioned type kitchen things that raises & lowers on ropes (can't recall what they are called)

Rather than using cast iron frames & pushing timber through them, I want a flat 'shelf' with inset stainless mesh. The shelf will be a flat frame out of something like 50 x 25, or even 70 x 25, with a small upstand around the perimeter so that the top can be used as a shelf without things from sliding off & 'S' hooks can be hung beneath for hanging things

So, what would you all recommend for timber ?

I'm looking at White Oak, Sapele or Premium Redwood. I can source them all locally in engineered grade PSE. Right-angle joints will likely be with glued dowels & the 'upper' face will be routed to inset the mesh

Thank you in advance & best wishes to all for a lovely Christmas

I’ve just seen this post and I know exactly what you mean but like yourself don’t know what they’re called. I’ve also seen them in bathrooms, I recall my mom had one when I was very young . Of those I remember they were various lengths but mainly used for airing or drying clothes over the bath - you didn’t say what your intended use was in your op. Most of them that I recall were made with long dowel rods which were inserted into blocks at either end and one in the middle for support. I’d say possibly more depending on the length of the rack. I’d probably be guessing but most were made from pine and untreated-the constant use over the years would leave the dowel rods smooth with a milky white appearance. So depending on your intended use I’d go with hardwood for the supports and pine or redwood etc for the dowels. And finish with a good exterior varnish. Ah the good old days of no washing machines and dryers .🤗🤗🤗

Shelia maid, if you use it for drying damp oak can stain so avoid that.

Just for interests sake, could it be called a tambour also?
i.e from the Tim KillenWOOD utube channel

We always called it a hanging clothes drier.
Current model is a Victorian example which I paint stripped. No metal - all redwood construction but you'd have to be very selective to get flawless redwood poles 8ft long.
You can still buy the pulleys and the sash chord.

not proud of it but this I think is what you mean?
Just for reference really. I'll replace the strips with something nicer at some point

Attachments

• 20230414_183415.jpeg
    20230414_183415.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
i put one up in 1997 in a lean too - for drying cloths
But it also twisted and moved a lot - depending on how the thing was loaded - and had to be balanced to some extent with cloths each side
so if you are using it as a shelf with items in, give some consideration to the balance and how it may tip and move around - perhaps would need some uprights in the middle to avoid things sliding from side to side and over balancing the thing

Beech Maple Sycamore Cherry
I wouldnt use oak as if damp and comes into contact with steel will stain

Back