Things appear to be a little different on the forum now.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conrad

Established Member
Reaction score
As much as I hate to encourage people I feel I must respond to this needless scathing post from deema.

I thought I’d better revisit my original post and see how ungrateful I actually was.

“Wow, how ungrateful! I looked at your thread on your BS400, your question was vague, ‘I’ve got vibration’ without any attempt to identify where it might be coming from you got a number of considered replies to which you said you would attempt the suggestions when you returned home after a couple of weeks away. You haven’t updated to say whether your problem was fixed or not.

You had stated you had previously contacted Record Power and indicated that their help was ‘next to useless’. Sounds to me like you will never be happy with any help.”

Well I’m always happy for any help offered.

I was quite clear in my original post that the breaking was my real issue and I asked for advice. None was forthcoming and that’s fair enough. Having tried Record Power I got no joy there either.

I note one of the replies from Ttrees is pointing me in a direction and I’m sorry Ttrees I haven’t found it. But he mentions Bob. And as I remember, Bob was a man on this forum. He did a detailed review of the BS400 and that is why I bought it.

Could you please provide a link to the post you are referring to, is it this one Record BS400 help
Yes Spectric that was my original post.
I have done all I can with the machine.
The not running great may be because of the drive bearing. I just don't know.
The more important issue of the breaking is most likely a motor issue. That's why I asked for help here.
I'm a novice. I try my best.
I know and accept I have put the machine through hell. My learning curve and processing very large hardwoods has played its part.

Hmmm. Your thread asking for help with the BS400 received 7 constructive replies. They may not have been the answer you wanted or align with what you think the problem is but they all look like genuine suggestions.

You then make the following comment in an unrelated thread :

"I use this forum as I try to learn and there are/were some very helpful people on here who were willing to help the less informed.
I use it less these days as I find the content of less interest to me. The last question I asked on here regarding issues with my BS400 went pretty much unanswered."

You do a disservice to the 7 members who did try to help you. I'm not surprised that someone called you out on the (highlighted) part of your statement above. Just sayin' ....

I only see two replies after my slightly cryptic posting, (I do like to go down rabbit holes)
My findings have proved to be pretty interesting to me, perhaps maybe not for others unless those who have tried everything else have hit a brick wall.

I don't think Bob, AKA, Myfordman, or his 9fingers handle on the other place, has one of those machines, but an old Startrite before the company dissolved, the first time that is.

You've clearly not copied and pasted this jargon below exactly into google to find.....
"Machines & power toolery"

It's there you will find Bob, who is very very knowledgable about motors.
That should come up straight away with a search.

Regardless of which forum you use, (I don't believe it's frowned upon to post the same thing on another forum)
I'd just be interested in seeing your thread get an updating, seeing as you posted this one, which seemingly is wholly based your BS400 thread, so it seems getting that machine running is on the cards yet, and which it seems others were interested in too.

Perhaps a seemingly scathing post might indicate someone is trying to help,
There's no better way to strike off red herrings, than someone getting rudimentary speculation, what's enough to make the OP describe whats going on and not be vague about it.
It's a common sort'a thing on many's a forum, and not personal or whatever.

Good luck
Tom

I only see two replies after my slightly cryptic posting, (I do like to go down rabbit holes)
My findings have proved to be pretty interesting to me, perhaps maybe not for others unless those who have tried everything else have hit a brick wall.

I don't think Bob, AKA, Myfordman, or his 9fingers handle on the other place, has one of those machines, but an old Startrite before the company dissolved, the first time that is.

You've clearly not copied and pasted this jargon below exactly into google to find.....
"Machines & power toolery"

It's there you will find Bob, who is very very knowledgable about motors.
That should come up straight away with a search.

Regardless of which forum you use, (I don't believe it's frowned upon to post the same thing on another forum)
I'd just be interested in seeing your thread get an updating, seeing as you posted this one, which seemingly is wholly based your BS400 thread, so it seems getting that machine running is on the cards yet, and which it seems others were interested in too.

Perhaps a seemingly scathing post might indicate someone is trying to help,
There's no better way to strike off red herrings, than someone getting rudimentary speculation, what's enough to make the OP describe whats going on and not be vague about it.
It's a common sort'a thing on many's a forum, and not personal or whatever.

Good luck
Tom
@Myfordman

I cannot see this reply from Deema in your thread. Are we on the same thread ?
No, it is from another thread:

Wow, how ungrateful! I looked at your thread on your BS400, your question was vague, ‘I’ve got vibration’ without any attempt to identify where it might be coming from you got a number of considered replies to which you said you would attempt the suggestions when you returned home after a couple of weeks away. You haven’t updated to say whether your problem was fixed or not.

You had stated you had previously contacted Record Power and indicated that their help was ‘next to useless’. Sounds to me like you will never be happy with any help.

Hmmm. Your thread asking for help with the BS400 received 7 constructive replies. They may not have been the answer you wanted or align with what you think the problem is but they all look like genuine suggestions.

You then make the following comment in an unrelated thread :

"I use this forum as I try to learn and there are/were some very helpful people on here who were willing to help the less informed.
I use it less these days as I find the content of less interest to me. The last question I asked on here regarding issues with my BS400 went pretty much unanswered."

You do a disservice to the 7 members who did try to help you. I'm not surprised that someone called you out on the (highlighted) part of your statement above. Just sayin' ....
Hi Sideways
Interesting to hear from you. So you are a moderator on the site!
Please read my original post, the what you cosider constructive replies, my replies to those replies and expalin what's your point?
You admit yourslef the responses are no answer to my query.

I have used this forum for learning purposes and in the past it has been very helpful to me. I reiterate the content of late is of less interest to me. And, proof of the value to the replies to my last query are self evident as you yourself say, "They may not have been the answer you wanted or align with what you think the problem is" So as I say my question was pretty much unanswered.

I don't have the time to log onto this site ofetn, but when I do, if I can help anybody with anything I will try.

Its interesting to have some insight into the current moderators. And, having read your post, it just reaffirms the title of my post.

Its interesting to have some insight into the current moderators. And, having read your post, it just reaffirms the title of my post.

Taking pot shots at a Moderator who willingly donates his time is not cool. If you are not happy with the information you find here, perhaps you could look for a French workshop site that might be more helpful to you.

Taking pot shots at a Moderator who willingly donates his time is not cool. If you are not happy with the information you find here, perhaps you could look for a French workshop site that might be more helpful to you.

Have to agree here - Conrad - we are but normal people here, and while there are some extremely knowledgeable, expert even, people on most things mechanical, I highly doubt a single member is some sort of "registered repair guy" for record power machines, even if such things exist.

You need to google your issues, then methodically go through EVERY SINGLE ONE of the suggestions made from whatever forum, website, YT or other online media until the answer or more specifc diagnosis presents itself.

Alternatively, as you've openly admitted you've worked it hard, and possibly / probably harder than RP specs recommend, either by taking deeper cuts or dull knives or both, in which case - mate it's your own fault, you've abused it, suck it up and buy an new one.

It's your choice what direction you choose from here, but an apology to all involved and a request to delete your hissy fit thread wouldn't go amiss. I've been here a long time and "members" (and I use the term loosely going by your posting history) who react as you do, rarely get anything other than short shrift afterwards.

Potshots at the members and now moderators from someone who has only posted 63 messages in 7 years will mean other members may well just ignore you from now on. There is a block function remember, you may find yourself shouting into the wind next time.

You know what they say. To change the world, change the way you look at it.

A forum changes over the years because of the way you look at it.

When you first join, it's a great place, full of all the info you don't know.

You pick up a lot of stuff, your knowledge increases, you need to ask less and less.

There's also the point that, you may not like the answers you receive, Like my mother after being widowed for 10 years or so, a man proposed marriage to her. She asked the advice of all five children. Each in turn told her go for it if it's what you want, until one gave her the answer she wanted, so no wedding.

You're right guys I don't belong here, I'll just have to slum it with Google and Youtube.

Salut, et encore merci pour le poisson

Conrad

As it appears I don't have the authority to delete my account, I hope you will oblige.

Back