Thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammer n nails

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi i have a delta thicknesser but it should have a 16 amp supply it works ok and is fine useing 16 amps supply but my shed only has a 13 amp supply so i would like one that runs off 13 amps any idea what ones will run on 13amp? i need at least an 8" or 10" looking for a second hand one or if someone want to do a swap i would be up for that. my delta is 12"

my axi ct330 runs fine on 13a. That has 12" capacity.

What motor is on the delta?

I'm no electrician but....I have a table saw that runs off 16 amp supply while the rest of the power points run off 13 amps. It is wired separately from the consumer unit with a larger fuse - 30 amp I believe.
Hope this helps.

John

John15":2x3vclvn said:
I'm no electrician but....I have a table saw that runs off 16 amp supply while the rest of the power points run off 13 amps. It is wired separately from the consumer unit with a larger fuse - 30 amp I believe.
Hope this helps.

John
you shouldnt have a 30 amp fuse on a 16 amp machine. the machine will melt before the fuse blows.
next size up from 13 is 20 amp. That should be hard wired, or with a blue 20 amp commando plug and socket.

Do you have a consumer unit in the shed which has a spare shot for a 16 amp circuit breaker and wiring? If so it makes more sense to me to upgrade your wiring rather than swapping machines.

hammer n nails":1ww4ghky said:
Hi i have a delta thicknesser but it should have a 16 amp supply it works ok and is fine useing 16 amps supply but my shed only has a 13 amp supply so i would like one that runs off 13 amps any idea what ones will run on 13amp? i need at least an 8" or 10" looking for a second hand one or if someone want to do a swap i would be up for that. my delta is 12"

I'm just wondering why your sockets are running from a 13amp supply?
Usually I would expect you to have a 32amp or at least a 16amp supply, which would supply a consumer unit in the garage or shed. These often come with a 6amp breaker for your lighting circuit, a 16amp breaker for your sockets and rcd for added protection.

Do you find your sockets trip if you use more than one item? Or do you just have one socket?

Even if you get one that's 13amp it will probs still trip because the motor will pull more than 13amp when starting up.

Cheers Dave

My table saw has a 16amp plug and lead. When I asked the landlord of the unit to install a 16 amp socket for me, he installed it directly over a double 13amp socket, which I assume feeds it. There's certainly no new supply run in. My saw starts and runs fine on it, and has never thrown a trip. The saw is an old Ney, by Ortza, model S 122T. It's quite big. I have no idea what the motor draws.

Knot Competent":1mcbyzn7 said:
My table saw has a 16amp plug and lead. When I asked the landlord of the unit to install a 16 amp socket for me, he installed it directly over a double 13amp socket, which I assume feeds it. There's certainly no new supply run in. My saw starts and runs fine on it, and has never thrown a trip. The saw is an old Ney, by Ortza, model S 122T. It's quite big. I have no idea what the motor draws.

Theres no such thing as a 16 amp socket. It sounds very iffy.

6 amp for lighting, 13amp for the ring main sockets, 20 amp for bigger machines or water heater, individual fuse /mcb/rcd/ elcb, whatever you want to call it and wiring for each machine. 32 amp for seriously big stuff.

Can you post a pic?

usually, machines larger than the rated circuit will start and run ok. Startup voltage and amperage peak is tiny fractions of a second, and a normal mcb will not trip. But if the motor has any friction, or its subjected to a heavy load, then you will get nuisance tripping. But, heres the risk... the large machine may well run ok, but the wiring will heat up. the longer the machine runs, the more it will heat, and eventually melt or catch fire, and the fuse WILL NOT blow. you must size the wire and the mcb to the machines power demand.

If you are concerned, just hold your hand against the wiring or the plug. If its hot to the touch, its DANGEROUS.

Of course you can get 16 amp sockets! What you can't get is a 20amp socket to which you referred earlier in the thread.

No one can be blamed for not knowing something but spreading incorrect information really is not helpful.

sunnybob":3iqyeu9l said:
Theres no such thing as a 16 amp socket. It sounds very iffy.
Yes there are

6 amp for lighting, Normally in a domestic installation
13amp for the ring main sockets Never seen one, but normally in a domestic installation the circuit would be protected by a 30/32 amp circuit protective device. Ultimately depends on system design,
20 amp for bigger machines or water heater, individual fuse /mcb/rcd/ elcb, whatever you want to call it and wiring for each machine. 32 amp for seriously big stuff. Umm ???? what I think you mean are termed as a Radial Circuit and completely depend on the load applied to the circuit and its design

Can you post a pic?

usually, machines larger than the rated circuit will start and run ok. Startup voltage and amperage peak is tiny fractions of a second, and a normal mcb will not trip. But if the motor has any friction, or its subjected to a heavy load, then you will get nuisance tripping. But, heres the risk... the large machine may well run ok, but the wiring will heat up. the longer the machine runs, the more it will heat, and eventually melt or catch fire, and the fuse WILL NOT blow. you must size the wire and the mcb to the machines power demand.

If you are concerned, just hold your hand against the wiring or the plug. If its hot to the touch, its DANGEROUS.

Please please be careful posting on a public forum advice/information that others may follow.

The other point I think worth mentioning is whether you use a B or C type MCB. I was advised to have a C type for the MCB that protects the wiring to the 16 amp socket for my table saw. But the electrician fitted a B type by mistake, result being my table saw tripped the MCB every time I turned the saw on. After the electrician came back and put the C Type in it was all fine.

This is based on advice I have received recently when wiring up my own workshop, I'm no expert but hope this helps.

Terry.

Knot Competent":11dv42kc said:

He will have done that because his supply to the sockets will have been 16amp or greater. It is frowned upon to put a 16amp socket into your normal ring/radial and should really have its own supply. this is because the 16amp will not be fused so you are relying on the MCB to trip it. if the circuit is run from a 16amp MCB then that is fine but if its higher then its not actually a 16amp plug its whatever the MCB is that supplys it, chances are it wont trip the breaker even if there is a problem. id like to think your circuit uses a 16amp MCB :D

Wizard9999":11dv42kc said:
The other point I think worth mentioning is whether you use a B or C type MCB. I was advised to have a C type for the MCB that protects the wiring to the 16 amp socket for my table saw. But the electrician fitted a B type by mistake, result being my table saw tripped the MCB every time I turned the saw on. After the electrician came back and put the C Type in it was all fine.

This is based on advice I have received recently when wiring up my own workshop, I'm no expert but hope this helps.

Terry.

yeah thats because the c- type are motor rated so can take a high start up current without tripping. Its a lot cheaper to use one of them rather than uping your MCB and having to change your cable size.

Cheers Dave

Back