Metabo HC260C - how many amps?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodYewToo

Established Member
Reaction score
Probably going to buy a new Metabo HC260C planer thicknesser - but need to check if it it will run on a standard 13Amp socket.

I've seen some comments on here from a few years ago that say fuses can sometimes blow on these machines.

My limited understanding of maths suggests... if it's got a 2200 watt motor and we divide that by 240volts, we get just over 9 amps. So does that suggest it should run on a standard 13A socket (I don't have any 16A sockets)? Or is the startup current going to be significantly higher than 9amps?

Thanks.

I can look at the plate when I’m back down the workshop, but they work fine on a regular 13 amp socket. Mine has for the last decade. It is an induction motor, so big initial load, but it doesn’t need a slow fuse or anything special.
Stuart

You shouldn’t have any problems. I seem to remember running my one plus the chip extractor off the same extension lead without any problems. Thought you did need to let the planer get up to speed before turning on the extractor. I Definitely don’t recommend doing it this way but I didn’t have any power in the shed, and this was the only way I could do it at the time.

I've had mine starting simultaneously with my vac on 13A with no problem. Also planing at max load with DX. no worries.
Brian

The manufacturers info confirms that it has an induction motor.
Those have a big inrush current, 5x full load current, maybe 7 or 8x, but only for a short time.
My personal experience of induction motors on smaller machines is that 1600W motors will normally run OK from a 13A plug. 2.2kW motors can work but often blow fuses.
The British Standard 13A fuse has a pretty wide manufacturing tolerance, and fuses in general tolerate surprisingly high overload currents for a short time. It is no surprise that some folk happily run 2.2kW machines from a 13A plug but you may need to replace a few fuses until you find a tough specimen that will last.
If you find yourself replacing the fuse regularly, this shows you're pushing the installation harder than you should. Check the socket regularly for scorching around the live and neutral pins and around the switch as switch contacts can be a higher resistance point and a hot spot whether the switch is used or not.

I would recommend getting a 16A socket fitted on a 16A breaker. It's nice to have that in a workshop for machines, welders, etc.

plus,
check the plug, switch and motor terms......
it's suprising how many loosen up after a while.....this goes for the fuse box wireing if it doesnt scare u.....
even if the machine is brand new......
all my floor standing machines n fuse boards get the terms check in the first week after Christmas along with a massive workshop clear out.....
coz it gets me outta the house.....
My Bridgeprt mill was bought cheap for just that reason, loose terms.....irregular starting and burnt contactors.....
a loose term creates a lot of heat....
after the initial checking they do tend to stay tight....

Probably going to buy a new Metabo HC260C planer thicknesser - but need to check if it it will run on a standard 13Amp socket.

I've seen some comments on here from a few years ago that say fuses can sometimes blow on these machines.

My limited understanding of maths suggests... if it's got a 2200 watt motor and we divide that by 240volts, we get just over 9 amps. So does that suggest it should run on a standard 13A socket (I don't have any 16A sockets)? Or is the startup current going to be significantly higher than 9amps?

Thanks.
Mine runs ok, but on the odd occasion my 'Master & Slave' unit will blow its fuse - needs a 16 a one really.

Back