BS400 bandsaw blows fuses regularly

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Illy

Established Member
Reaction score
I have the Record BS400 bandsaw which regularly blows the 13A fuse in the plug on start up. This must be caused by the initial power draw and I note the model is now sold with a 16 amp supply. I have a bag full of new 13A fuses by the plug which steadily depletes !
I am just wondering if there might be a solution for someone with only basic electrical knowledge ? Can you by a plug which trips and can simply be re-set perhaps ? I've obviously no wish to simply bypass the fuse.

Any suggestions would be welcome, thanks.

did you buy the machine second hand or new ? just looked at the handbook for it and it does say 13 amp supply but further on it says a blue three pin connector is fitted which means a 16 amp supply is needed for initial start up so it would need a dedicated 16 amp supply with a type c breaker

I've often read of "tricks" regarding resistance sorting this....
Those kinda things need consideration and more observation obviously.
There's lots of stuff mentioned about that, and I'm certainly not the person to mention them,
bar a little snippet I've read about finding a "stronger" 13a fuse,
which might likely be one in a handful, amongst the cheapies.

Is this a recent thing, cold have anything to do with it...
have you moved the machine on a different socket, what might be on a different supply
are you using/have used an extension lead before now...

How tight is the drive belt on the saw, tightened it up during summer...
and also the lower wheel brush?

Hope that might help a bit
Tom

My BS400 works fine from a 13 amp supply, one of the variables that will have an impact on this will be your electrical installation. The distance from your machine to the main board and cable sizes will determine the loop impedances which with inductive loads can cause issues with motor inrush currents and protective devices tripping which looks to be your problem. You need to provide more information with regards to your supply and layout, it might be a case that you do need a 16 amp supply but then you need to get an electrician to do the calcs and installation work. Have you tried it without the blade fitted ?

My BS400 works fine from a 13 amp supply, one of the variables that will have an impact on this will be your electrical installation. The distance from your machine to the main board and cable sizes will determine the loop impedances which with inductive loads can cause issues with motor inrush currents and protective devices tripping which looks to be your problem. You need to provide more information with regards to your supply and layout, it might be a case that you do need a 16 amp supply but then you need to get an electrician to do the calcs and installation work. Have you tried it without the blade fitted ?
I do have a spare 16amp socket. Can I just replace the current standard 13A 3 pin plug for a 16A plug (one of the blue ones ?)

Can I just replace the current standard 13A 3 pin plug for a 16A plug (one of the blue ones
Yes there is no reason why you cannot do this. With a 13 amp plug the fuse is in the plug, the socket itself is protected by either a 20 or 32 amp device upstream, when you fit the 16 amp plug and use the 16 amp socket the protection is upstream and is why you cannot just replace a 13 amp socket with a 16 amp socket because then your protection could be 32 amps which is not good.

Yes there is no reason why you cannot do this. With a 13 amp plug the fuse is in the plug, the socket itself is protected by either a 20 or 32 amp device upstream, when you fit the 16 amp plug and use the 16 amp socket the protection is upstream and is why you cannot just replace a 13 amp socket with a 16 amp socket because then your protection could be 32 amps which is not good.
Thank you - that looks like it has given me a good solution.

I appreciate the prompt and helpful replies from everybody.

How far is your machine from the incoming supply, I would think it is external to the main building and as such has required a longer supply cable.

How far is your machine from the incoming supply, I would think it is external to the main building and as such has required a longer supply cable.
The consumer unit is only on the opposite wall, so pretty close. I was plugged into a proper wired socket, no extension leads etc. I'll give the 16amp socket a go today - I think that will resolve this issue. Thanks

Latest posts

Back