Them wer't days

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a good selection of nettlefolds screws courtesy of my dad who had acquired many boxes of them.
Most of the brass obscure sizes i gave away to a furniture restorer friend. I raely if ever use brass as most of my work is boat related.
I have a stock of Phosphor bronze & Silicon bronze screws, drop those & you pick them all up, they are so expensive you cant afford not to. Largest size i have are some 6" x 40 gauge in Silicon bronze, they were bought for a restoration job about 30 years ago & cost about a fiver each then. I hate to think what they would cost today! About time i used them on the job i bought them for!

My b.i.l. worked in Devonport dockyard in the early '80s. He did a little job for my mother one day and I looked in his tool box. There must have been (I estimated ) £70's worth (about £250 today) of screws loose in the bottom, all either brass or chromed brass. I commented and he said if he spillled them at work he wouldn't have bothered picking them up.

edit - I should have said brass, chromed brass or stainless steel.

I cut plywood rails for a lot of commercial tables, the ends were 6" wide for the tenons (they got dragged around) narrowing to 3" for the main part of the rail. I marked them asymetrically across the sheet so that the short rails were between the long ones, meaning very little waste - he asked what I was doing and I explained. Oh, sod that, he said, I'd just cut all the long ones from one sheet and the short ones from another. Yes, I said, but you'd get a lot of waste doing it that way. Yes, he said, we'd just dump it. He wondered why they'd laid off 8000 people.

Last edited:
I was lucky my father who would have been 100 next week left me with hundreds of old screws in a jar and assorted small /tinny woodscrews still in boxes some of these have been useful to match repairs on antiques. I will never be able to use them all. Is there anyone who holds a stock of of this type of no longer available items who might be interested in these that be can made available to others in the future. Most are slotted heads some are Brass some are MS.

I make my living repairing and restoring classic wooden boats and the odd piece of furniture. I have lots of boxes of different sizes if old British Screw Company, GKN Nettlefolds and Carn (made in UK) screws. I am always looking to add to this and fill in gaps in my stocks (as I never quite know what is coming next). If you or anyone else is considering parting with any of their precious slotted screws, please do let me know :)

I keep stock of these for my work restoring classic boats if you have any you are looking to part with? 🤞

Thats what i bought them for when i was building & restoring boats for a living! Now im retired im back at it! So no i havent any spare. Anglia Stainless do a goodly range, though they are a hell of a price.

Back