Traditional slotted woodscrews

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YoungSalt

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow ukworkshop forum members, now sitting here scratching my noggin and pondering, I thought of what a knowledgeable lot you often are, so am throwing out a challenge to you! I repair and restore old wooden boats for a living and therefore use a wide range of traditional slotted brass, bronze, chrome, stainless, nickel and copper screws. These are mostly made by nettlefolds, gkn, carn etc who simply do not exist any more. The modern equivalents when they can be found in the right size are mostly...well rubbish! I am therefore always on the scout out for old stock screws at the right price to add to my stocks. As I never have any idea quite what is coming in next, I like to keep a wide range of screws on the shelves...this currently ranges from no.2 screws up to number 30 screws! It is these larger ones I have been trying to track down recently, as well as some more common sizes such as 6x 1 1/2''. If anyone has any ideas where I might be able to find some no. 14 gauge and up sized screws and any good quality raised head brass screws in particular, then I am all ears! Thanks in advance everyone! Ed

Beat me to it, Tony! I was going to suggest Screwsline because not only do they stock 'new' slotted screws, but they also have 'vintage' stock, and suggest that they can source most sizes and types.

Afternoon YS

Try Herbert Periam in Birmingham. A proper engineering supplier.

They don't have a website, but you can phone on 0121 359 1762

If they can't supply you, they will probably know who can.

Cheers

Dave

Have you ever been to "Drews" in Reading? Old fashioned hardware & tool shop. Not sure about the larger sizes but the staff are very helpful and knowledgeable.

Just out of curiosity what measurements does a no 30 screw have (or any pics)? I've tried googling but largest screws that come up are size 12 - about 6"/150mm long.

As Phil says, ex MD dealers seem to have good stocks,
Woods in Crediton had a huge selection when I was last there.
Perhaps there are some nearer you to contact.
Regards Rodders

Mike.S":1quknwy1 said:
Just out of curiosity what measurements does a no 30 screw have (or any pics)? I've tried googling but largest screws that come up are size 12 - about 6"/150mm long.

Mike just for information the number is the gauge of the screw and nothing to do with the length.
this is how I was taught how to do it as an apprentice (so thats a long time ago) measure across the head and then turn it into 32nd`s. So a 1" screw would be 32/32 now take 2 away from the number =30. So a 30 gauge screw would have a 1" wide head.
After a while you do not think in Inches you just know the gauge its like working in m/m and then converting it into imperial, you just dont do it. The most common sizes used in joinery are 8s and 10s.

Latest posts

Back