The UKW Woodturning Challenge. 2013

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nev

Established Member
Reaction score
The UKW Woodturning Challenge. 2013

OK looks like we will be proceeding :mrgreen:

The first thing to note is that the word is 'Challenge' not 'Competition'. It is to challenge each of us taking part, whatever the skill level, to have a go at something he/she may not normally do, and in doing so improving their own skills and learning whilst doing something we enjoy. It is, as the cliche says, about the taking part, not the winning, and giving us an excuse to get out to the shed more.
So to the 'newbies' worried about embarrassing themselves i would like to bring to your attention this post :oops: and also to point out that quite a few of those near the top of the table in both the 2011 and 2012 challenges were also recently new to turning and self taught.
So what are you waiting for? an invitation?
Here it is ... Welcome :D

When the scoreboard has been updated/ refreshed just sign up and you're in!

OK. Suggestions please for any new items/ projects to be considered for our monthly challenge, and then we'll decide. (dont know how but we'll sort something out :mrgreen: )

As proposed by Blister back in August:-

a bowl
a platter,
a decorated bowl,
a decorated platter,
a box,
a hollow form,
an artistic piece ,
a child's toy,
an adult toy :shock: :shock:
a clock barometer or temperature gauge
a set of matching lace bobbins
a pair of candle sticks,
a vase.
a offset turning
xmas decoration

There are 15 items here, so some could be omitted (or we could give newbies a choice if some of the challenges are too hard?).

I'm happy with most of whats on the list, my only reservation being the clock/barometer type entry as this may require the purchase of a clock/etc mechanism, and some may be more willing or able to purchase a much nicer mechanism than others. (just trying to keep it simple?)
Any suggestions from anyone for items we haven't covered in the last year or two?

A bowl and platter and then again decorated has been done over and over IMO. Its one of the reasons I haven't entered a lot.

I would be interested in making a lamp. So would like to add that to the list of maybes.

If its a challenge will the scoring etc now be redundant as that does make it a competition. Rewarding the winner each month is more like a challenge but keeping a years score tally and having a points awarding system makes it a competition.

If we are to continue tallying scores I need to do some work on the scoreboard so it runs in this new year. Not a lot but it would mean new sign ups may have issues signing up. Ill update this months winners shortly but as normal I think it only shows on the first of next month, as next month is a new year it will error as there is no data for 2013 in there yet.

Hi all

just my thoughts ...... i like the points and positions as they are..... as can be seen from this and last years, i have never won a month or come in the top 5 so am completely mutual... it gives me/us something to aim for.

I liked the month where you had to suspend a ball, and also the 5 rings one....... both months that you really had to think about. so something like that would be good.

Hudson Carpentry":drrd0dxk said:

If its a challenge will the scoring etc now be redundant as that does make it a competition. Rewarding the winner each month is more like a challenge but keeping a years score tally and having a points awarding system makes it a competition.

If we are to continue tallying scores I need to do some work on the scoreboard so it runs in this new year. Not a lot but it would mean new sign ups may have issues signing up. Ill update this months winners shortly but as normal I think it only shows on the first of next month, as next month is a new year it will error as there is no data for 2013 in there yet.

Its always been a challenge (for me anyway, as i know i am no competition to some of the entrants) but we can call it a competition if you like :) As long as we all have FUN and ENJOY it!

Everything to remain as it is/ was same scoring etc and both Richard and Paul have offered their judging services for 2013 =D> =D> =D> .
and I am happy to carry on doing whatever it is I do, unless someone else (a little more experienced maybe?) fancies a go?

As far as the winners plaques, medals etc are concerned nothing arranged as yet. Boysie and I funded them last year, and Blister the year before (I think),
anyone like to volunteer for this years? :wink: (13 x prizes and then the p+p each month)
PM me if you like, you can remain anonymous if preferred :) I dont think its practical for each or some of the prospective entrants to bung a few quid each in, may end up causing handbags etc in the heat of the moment, but an anonymous benefactor or a sponsor (tax break!) is another thing :mrgreen:

Feel free to PM me if anyone has any issues they'd rather not air on the open forum in case it sparks a row., and keep the project suggestions coming in - maybe something out of the ordinary??

As the record will show I haven't entered before and am a relative newcomer to turning although I've been involved with wood in one way or another most of my life. I agree whole heartedly, bowl, platter ( no difference in techniques) and then just to make sure its been killed to death we will subject it to the painting and decorating brigade. If we could steer away from the same it would be good, painted and decorated or otherwise. Some of the simplest things can be the most challenging and a choice of items that force the use of different techniques would be good, for instance a set of four (or five or eight or ten or whatever) napkin rings, - for those who haven't dabbled with jam chucks before?

A few other items for the cauldron
Long stemmed goblet
Four sided bowl (or) (not both!)
seven sided scalloped bowl
Lamp - agree with you there Melinda
Salt or Pepper pot/mill
As you don't need a mandrel or bushings to make a pen, you could include a closed end pen as well?? complete with matching letter opener?

Thanks for organising the challenge.

Regards

Neil

nev":138wln12 said:
woodyturner":138wln12 said:
A revolving spoon

:?: do tell :)

Sorry a revolving spoon rack / carousel something like this with slits for a spoon instead of hols

Attachments

• 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,322
A salt or pepper mill is also something I have always wanted to make.

Anyone that sponsors the challenge would be welcome to a little free advertising from me, both on the scoreboard and on another website I am involved with.

Can I also remind anyone signing up that you have to match your username with the one on here and that includes to use capitals where you have here. Its not a problem as I can change it but its a pain to do and if your someone new I don't recognize and a search for your name on here don't show due to the non matching type case, I just think its a spammer and move on.

As we are still using the scoreboard ill be upgrading it again to be even more automatic so its even more important.

Neil Farrer":1zz2wfb6 said:
Look at Woody cheating again, he's already done one. Nev - give him a handicap!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: one I have made loads of them with one of these on the top of the spindle and into the underside of the top

Attachments

• DSCF0772 (2).JPG
    DSCF0772 (2).JPG
    118 KB · Views: 1,305
how about a :
finial box
kitless pen
bowl from a board
acorn box
themed months i.e outer space, industrial, landscapes etc
a set of draughts
coasters
gold leaf month (make anything as long as it incorporates gold leaf!!)
spoon or sprurtle
a scoop
natural edge goblet

Nev,

Some thoughts on the thread so far:-

I think you now have a good range of different things to try for next year's Challenge. My own personal view is that we should avoid things that need kit to be purchased to make them (salt/pepper mills, pens, table lamps, clocks etc) and that, as there are a number of beginners joining the forum, some of the challenges should be simpler items.

How about a pestle and mortar (combination of spindle and faceplate turning) as another possibility?
Jewellery (matching bracelet, pendant and ring for example)?

I like some of Cornucopia's suggestions as well.

Is it possible to have a poll with Challenge entrants voting for (say) 12 out of (say) 20 possible items; the top 12 get to be the Challenge (or is our poll system on the forum not that sophisticated? - put a poll on the scoreboard site using SurveyMonkey so that only those signed in can access it?).

Hudson .... i have tried signing up as wasn't sure if i had to again.I have realised i left off the capital .. sorry :-\ im not sure it did anything tho as my interweb cut me off!
Or i may be jumping the gun again!

Back