The UKW Woodturning Challenge. 2013

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to see the challenge will continue.

There have been some good project suggestions and I would like to add one:

A working tool - something that can be used in the workshop eg. hand vise, mallet, marking gauge etc

regards

Brian

Regarding the needing to buy kit to do the projects like pepper mills etc. Many of the more basic projects require tooling or jaws that some don't have. I had this issue when I first started. Couldn't do a challenge properly or at all without first spending quite a bit of money on the things you need to hold or mill the spinning timbers.

For example if the hollow form gets elected, I don't have the proper hollowing tool you use and I probably will not spend the £30-50 on one as ill probably never do a hollow form again.

Its impossible to please everyone but I think for them thats been in the challenge for a while would like a different challenge and if that means spending £3 on a salt mill kit, its far less then needing to buy a new jaw or tool etc. The lamp kit can be brought as parts from wilkos for less than £5, its only like spending money on a blank of wood etc.

As an interested viewer of last year's challenge (and a one time contributor to the previous one - sorry I've not had time to enter any since.) I'd like to say how much I've enjoyed viewing the entries every month and trying to guess who will win. I've seen a number of people's turning skills improve greatly throughout the challenges - maybe making some of the more unusual items that they would not otherwise attempt has helped. It's also been really interesting to see the different styles and approaches that the different people have to the tasks.

I would agree with other people here that perhaps the bowl and platter have been done to death in previous years. The challenges I most enjoyed seeing this year were the more unusual items like the Christmas cracker and the 5 rings. I'd also agree with Mike that challenges requiring bought-in parts may be off-putting to beginners (or to hard-up more advanced turners!)

Hudson Carpentry":3lhly46s said:
Regarding the needing to buy kit to do the projects like pepper mills etc. Many of the more basic projects require tooling or jaws that some don't have. I had this issue when I first started. Couldn't do a challenge properly or at all without first spending quite a bit of money on the things you need to hold or mill the spinning timbers.

For example if the hollow form gets elected, I don't have the proper hollowing tool you use and I probably will not spend the £30-50 on one as ill probably never do a hollow form again.

Its impossible to please everyone but I think for them thats been in the challenge for a while would like a different challenge and if that means spending £3 on a salt mill kit, its far less then needing to buy a new jaw or tool etc. The lamp kit can be brought as parts from wilkos for less than £5, its only like spending money on a blank of wood etc.

Spot on - go with you all the way on this. Regarding the poll and vote, cant say I agree, the worse thing about a democracy is that everyone gets a vote, no ones really happy and it takes an age to get a conclusion. Nev - you've heard the views you make the choice!

Hudson Carpentry":1doa4x0c said:

I understand your concerns but there are ways to do most projects safely without having to buy extra kit.
for example you can do a hollow form with a bowl gouge or scraper by shaping the outside then cutting it in half and hollowing it like two shallow bowls then putting it back together and disguising the joint with a bead.
you don’t have to make salt/pepper mill grinders, simple shakers could be made instead- or a pen kit to make a pen, a bic refill can be used.

brianhabby":19gq7pr2 said:
Neil Farrer":19gq7pr2 said:
Nev - you've heard the views you make the choice!

+1

regards

Brian

OK.

I have made an executive decision and chosen the January project, I'm just waiting for a reply from the judge to be regards any specific requirements, then i will put it up in a fresh post.
I have also narrowed the rest of the years project list down to 16 -18 and I think i shall ask the judges to narrow it down to the final 12 (11) and then the list will be posted.

(BTW - I dont think you can sign up on the scoreboard until after I've posted the rules and regs. )

With regards to the funding of plaques etc are you sure it can't be done via a wip round?
im sure split between all the entrants it would be a small amount.
I know i would be fine with sticking a few quid in an evelope.??
just a thought

Melinda_dd":3u82ila2 said:
With regards to the funding of plaques etc are you sure it can't be done via a wip round?
just a thought

both yes :) and no. :(

I'm playing devils advocaat here... :twisted:
I'm sure most of the regulars would be happy to do so, but what happens when new people pop up throughout the year and join in and win all the prizes then go off to pastures new?
or if theres a controversy and handbags for whatever reason,
or even if the challenge comes to grinding halt due to lack of entries?
Some people may feel that their entry/ opinion should be more valid cos they chipped in etc.when someone else didnt.
or if someone disagrees with the judges opinion?
or new people feeling it unfair to join in cos they havent chipped in?
etc
etc

I think its just a lot simpler to keep it free and open to all with no obligation, real or imagined, to anyone.

nev":2icwm2iu said:
As far as the winners plaques, medals etc are concerned nothing arranged as yet. Boysie and I funded them last year, and Blister the year before (I think),
anyone like to volunteer for this years? :wink: (13 x prizes and then the p+p each month)
PM me if you like, you can remain anonymous if preferred :) I dont think its practical for each or some of the prospective entrants to bung a few quid each in, may end up causing handbags etc in the heat of the moment, but an anonymous benefactor or a sponsor (tax break!) is another thing :mrgreen:

Do we actually need plaques/medals etc? The point of the challenge is to get people turning things that they wouldn't normally do. It's nice to win but certainly not a reason to enter

Melinda_dd":1gnpdgxi said:
just a thought

I personally think we should continue with a plaque/medal/week's holiday in Benidorm or whatever for the monthly Challenge winner (yes, I know .... second prize is two weeks in Benidorm .... boom boom!! :roll: :roll: ), as it gives everyone something to strive for.

I too would be prepared to "bung a few quid in an envelope" to help support such a prize fund (unless there is a commercial sponsor out there who would like to take it on?), and would do so anonymously and without any strings attached. If a newcomer starts winning all the awards, the regulars will just have to "up their game" to compete. :twisted: :twisted:

i am not involved in this, but can you not come up with a simple spec, and a dozen/13 people volunteer to turn a suitable plaque? It could even be a suitable challenge next year. The wording is pretty simple to agree, the plaques need not match each other, and rather than people putting a few quid in an envelope, they could post out the prize straight to the monthly winner.

like I say, I am not involved, but it seems a popular sentiment that winners like to have something to display on the wall of their turning house/blog/website and i think that an object is nicer than just a certificate.

M P Hales":1wouet2k said:
Don't know if this sounds possible
could the prize/reward for winning be the previous months winning item?

M

I would have had quite a job posting some of this year's items (particularly my wall hanging which was 1.2m long, and my bowl and platter which have gone to new homes) - and I suspect that some of the better turners would like to sell theirs as well. So unfortunately I don't think this idea would work, interseting though it was.

henton49er":3i8jn7p8 said:
Melinda_dd":3i8jn7p8 said:
just a thought

I personally think we should continue with a plaque/medal/week's holiday in Benidorm or whatever for the monthly Challenge winner (yes, I know .... second prize is two weeks in Benidorm .... boom boom!! :roll: :roll: ), as it gives everyone something to strive for.

Surely the thing to strive for is improving your turning. Or the recognition of your peers.

duncanh":1wc08hbk said:
henton49er":1wc08hbk said:
Melinda_dd":1wc08hbk said:
just a thought

Surely the thing to strive for is improving your turning. Or the recognition of your peers.

yes (IMO)

as to the particular challenges, and building on what's already been posted -

1. retain both bowls and platters, but split them better through the year and have the latter as 'may be....rather than any particular focus on decoration' - this is about inclusion.
2. more boxes - they have a significant interest factor and huge scope. how they cross over with a hollow form is difficult, but the suggestion of a finial box would seem to replace a hollow form to me. Then add 'a box' as another challenge.

that's 6....

November for a salt/pepper grinder - yes it's buying a kit but it makes a great present!
Dec for a 'toy' for the same reason.

Like the idea of an open 'artistic piece' category.

Like the idea of an open 'off centre turning' category

Pair of goblets, or candlesticks, should be in there...

that's 11

Lamp seems good, but has equipement requirements that might challenge some. #-o

Anyhow, look forward to seeing the specs in due course

Thank you to all those giving their time and effort so generously =D>

Back