The UKW Infill Project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a quality stone Stewie...well worth the outlay.

Ok....those of you who have been shouting "shavings" (yes you!)....today's the day.

I really could not bear the stress of doing the testing myself...and anyway...that would be biased...so I popped over to see our dear friend Douglas of this fine parish...and lumbered him with the job.

A carpet of shavings later we had loads of photos and a video to report back here.

Since I then had to rush to work (blinkin nuisance!)...I have yet to publish the photos to my webspace but I could post the video!

They do say a picture's worth a thousand words....but the swish of a finely tuned plane....

Richard Tomes Memorial Infill Plane...tu.be/DadrRcbgQhs]http://youtu.be/DadrRcbgQhs[/url]

....is PRICELESS!

Pictures to follow....

Thanks to Douglas for taking time out to test the plane and the loan of his "London Plane!" :mrgreen:

Cheers

Jim

Many thanks, I feely truly honoured to be the 3rd person to watch this.

Douglas " I'm not interested in shavings"

How very dare he.

Works just as well as it looks, INCREDIBLE.

Pat yourself on the back, very nice job indeed.

Edit:
London Plane with London Plane with a West Midlands Sole / Soul.

Yup, a right good plane that. Richard would be very happy it's got done this well. He'd be perplexed it took a while :) :) ... but pleased.
Back of iron needs a bit more flatting/polishing yet so it will only get better, I did want to mod the handle/tote a little but Jim won't let me - 5 mins with one of Noel's rasps would have done it easy.
Very nicely done indeed Jim, a lasting credit to your and Richard's work.

That really is a work of art, hats off to you (and Richard). Have you kept a count of how many man hours went into making that?

How many hours...good LORD...I have absolutely no idea...

I think if I were to sell it (which ain't gonna happen!)....I would need to sell it in the thousands just to make a minimum wage...

So lots really. I guess Richard probably spent a few hours knocking the dovetails together....with the skills that he had...after the first one I think he admitted it was pretty easy...but that was typical of Richard...a talented craftsman whose modesty was only topped by his wicked humour!

I don't know how many hours but I will say that every single one was great fun...but frightening as some of this was WAY out of my comfort zone...I'm quite lucky to have any hair left the amount of scratching it took! :mrgreen:

Douglas...thanks for today mate...and just to let you into a little secret...the handle is deliberately that shape so you don't feel tempted to "borrow" it too often..... :mrgreen: :wink:

Seriously though...you did me a huge favour today plus you know how to plane properly..unlike me!

So...to the many pictures and a bonus video at the end!!

One of the benefits of using Douglas' workshop is that it looks "proper" as that lady on the Vistaprint advert says...it looks like a real workshop unlike mine which looks like the set of Steptoe and Son!

20140903_112854.jpg

So anything looks better on his fine bench amongst fine tools and someone actually working!

But what's the first thing the man does...he scribbles all over it! :shock:

20140903_112943.jpg

See...I told you he knew a thing or two about this planing lark! 8)

But at least it gave me the opportunity to take an in situ shot of that fine bit of surface grinding which set me back an arm and a leg and more than a few sleepless nights!

So to the first shaving!!! (sound of trembling at this point from the cameraman!)

20140903_112957.jpg

And so it was discovered that the set was a bit..."coarse"....

20140903_113332.jpg

Veneer anyone!? :mrgreen:

But like a baby's first hand print...I put that one in the bag to keep...like a proud father! :mrgreen:

So a bit of "fine adjustment" was needed then...

20140903_113104.jpg

...which also involved hitting the plane....

20140903_112514.jpg

....a nervous moment! :shock:

But with the consummate skill of a true master...Douglas soon had it spot on and then there was really no stopping him!

20140903_115145.jpg

Not one piece of fine oak was safe now...

20140903_115715.jpg

You kind of get addicted to that "whooshing" sound...and all of a sudden find yourself surrounded by shavings...

After a break with some excellent coffee...it was time for some really rather nice London Plane to feel the steel...

20140903_132509.jpg

The goal was to produce one continuous shaving which seems to be the benchmark of plane testing.....

20140903_132615.jpg

...which wasn't exactly an arduous task as EVERY shaving was like that...

20140903_132710.jpg

....as can be seen by the pile around the bench!

But you have to keep producing the shavings to get the "perfect" one...ain't that right Douglas?

(or could it be that he was having fun!? :wink: )

...or was it just an opportunity to show off the rather superb apron...

20140903_133030.jpg

I WANT ONE OF THESE! (note to wife...Christmas...birthdays...anniversaries...all due soon! 8) )

I did actually get to have a go finally...

20140903_133529.jpg

...but a combination of the bench not being designed for midgets and the fact that the inertia of the first cut took me with it with the result that I did some serious injury to me crown jewels on that huge boss on the vise which is not meant for lefties either...meant that I decided to wait until I reached home and a sensible height bench!

In all seriousness...it was great fun and a MAJOR relief to me that the plane that Richard inspired and started in such a beautiful way really performed as I had hoped it would. I have to say there were a few happy expletives and I had a huge grin on my face as I left chez Douglas!

Oh yes...the bonus I mentioned....a FLYING shaving...just a snippet from another video I shot...really tickled me...

http://youtu.be/ym1G3-KpBW8

We simply have to have that in slow motion...with some music...

http://youtu.be/n6TrXd6-VfM

(note to self....sack the soundman when he comes back! :mrgreen: )

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Cheers

Jimi (and Douglas!)

I think that I might go that one step further mi amigo, quality paper wallet sized photos for all of the parents (Mrs. T included of course). Parental pride is sure as heck what I would feel . First shavings split as well , as who doesn't have an envelope for that first haircut. Heck , I'm thousands of klicks away and a bit choked up.

I knew it would work it's been made by very talented people.

Well done to everybody.

Looks fantastic works fantastically.

Pete

Great set of shots Jim. The plane does it all, I'm just yer average user as we all know.
The vid at the end is quite short but the Postman Pat theme was a good choice.
Sorry 'bout the bench - I have a new one planned soon, maybe a little lower? (No, not that low.)
Anyway, a grand plane. No again - a two-grand plane (and that's prob at min wage levels :wink: )

Mike...you have been a great influence on some decisions I have made and the constant positive feedback is probably the largest help...thank you my colonial buddy!

Philly...well that iron is the engine mate. Stunning bit of hardening and grinding...RC62 (ish) is giving me a few blisters getting the face free of grind marks but a few more sessions and we will have a perfectly flat face to the edge and I think it will stay that way. As you say in your PMs...I could take it down a bit in the oven but I want to leave it like it is at the moment...try not to use it on too testing of knots...and if I happen to chip it...well..I'll have a rethink but for now...SUPERB! =D>

And yes....I just LOVE 01 tool steel...it's classic!

Cheers Pete....and I am sending the lever cap off for engraving soon so no rush whatsoever on the burgers...lots of playing to do here as it is...again many thanks for your support and offer to sort the 4mm iron.

Noggsy...there were a few tense moments there for sure mate...but I did have a PLAN B! :mrgreen:

Douglas....no need to sort a bench...I have one for midgets as you know...and I also know that your definition of average is not the generally held dictionary version...which is why I love your feedback...no sugar coating...the "Simon Cowell" of reviewers! (in the nicest possible way of course! :wink: )

And I'm hiding my Liogier rasps before you come over next time...just in case you understand! :mrgreen:

The video editor has been given strict instructions to sack the sound guy and put his Java down and get on with the editing...we may have a better one soon but I was impressed with that little "money shot" in the original...it just had to be captured alone...or in pairs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhZ0ZPJSiI4

What I call my "Double Your Money" shot!

"Cecil....CECIL...put that coffee down NOW and get back to the cutting room!!"

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jimi

Well done Jimi.

I've enjoyed following this and I think it is a great encouragement and resource for other plane makers, as well as being a fine tribute to Richard T.

Please can you give us a summary of the plane's dimensions, blade angle, weight, materials, etc.? Quite possibly all this information can be found somewhere in this epic thread but it would be good to see it all in one place for reference.

Ah yes...I learned three Japanese phrases one drunken night in the Falklands with a Japanese trawler captain whose radar I fixed....

He had a bottle of Johnny Walker Swing...especially for boats and we did rather hit that a bit hard...I am surprised I could still speak English afterwards let alone remember the Japanese phrases he taught me!

So thank you my friend...the feeling is mutual! I have also posted an update on the graver thread.

Yes..I can get all the specs and a summary together for the thread rxh if you think that will help.

Give me a little while and I'll put it all together.

Cheers

Jimi

Congratulations Jimi =D> =D> =D> =D> .
I have loved every bit of this planes journey, But for me the crowning moment was to see it at the bench doing what it was born to do, and not to be sitting in some collectors cabinet. Richard is somewhere out there grinning from ear to ear. :)

richarnold":2m0bwjq8 said:
Congratulations Jimi =D> =D> =D> =D> .
I have loved every bit of this planes journey, But for me the crowning moment was to see it at the bench doing what it was born to do, and not to be sitting in some collectors cabinet. Richard is somewhere out there grinning from ear to ear. :)

Oh yes Richard...this will be a user for sure...no sitting in a cabinet for this one I can assure you.

I do bring it in at night to fondle though! Is that ok? :mrgreen:

(note to self...resist stroking the sole again! :shock: :mrgreen: )

Jim

Latest posts

Back