The UKW Infill Project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jimi,
it's an absolutely stunning piece of work and you can be confident that you've done Richard proud.
I never met or knew the guy but I'm pretty sure that he'd be gobsmacked and delighted with the finished result - it's a beauty!!

Jimi

I've never had the pleasure of seeing or handling a plane by one of those exclusive makers (who's names I don't even know) but were I to pay the many thousands they cost, this collaborative plane of Richard and you, and the sublime quality it represents is what I would expect to unwrap.

I'm taking a leap here, but I don't think you've merely "done justice" to his memory, I think you've completed the foundation Richard forged to create a lasting legacy to show, as another has stated, that he had the skills to become an equal peer of those aforementioned exclusive makers, and who's talents on the infill side of things you have also emulated with consummate skill and care.

If ever a thing became more than the sum of it's parts, this plane has it - to paraphrase Jeremy Clarkson "I know this plane has soul".

I never met Richard, but I think he would be justly proud of the final result.

Sublime,

Only met Richard once and was lucky enough to hold one of his mitres. Such a dammed shame the world needs more people like Richard and a new generation of planemakers, Karl Holtey and Bill Carter aren't getting any younger.

Seriously struggling to think of any more British infill makers .

I agree with all of the above!

It started with Richard in his shed with his hacksaw and files, making a tool that was firmly in a tradition but also looking modern and individual. You've respected that with the beautiful straight lines and curves on the fantastic wood. You've done all the work in public, sharing your design thinking and demonstrating wonderful attention to details.

Even amongst your selection of extraordinary planes, I think this one is going to be that bit more special than the others and give you a good feeling (though tinged with sadness for Richard) every time you use it.

I've followed the post from one end to the other and waited impatiently for each update. Now that she is done I feel almost the the same glow as if I had accomplished something. Superb result and fitting tribute. Bravo.

Superb isn't a strong enough word. For the sake of posterity, you must produce a history of the plane and its origins (maybe even a printout of this whole thread) that stays with the plane. That way, future generations can appreciate both Richard and yourself, as well as the whole tradition of British infill planemaking

Fabulous Jimmi

I will have to get my finger our and do the blade.

Pete

I wasn't entirely sure how to reply to all the kind words I read above...so suffice to say...they are really appreciated and made it all worth the effort.

A couple of questions to answer...shavings...as soon as I get the iron razor sharp...and the glue has hardened in the handle joint.

I don't want to push it....wait...I DO want to push it...I don't want to break it! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Pete...take your time mate...I have this one to be going on with so whenever the need for fine burgers grabs you...and I do hear tell that next week is to be our last heat wave for this year so maybe this is an opportune moment? 8)

Then there's the engraving...and I have asked my assistant to PDF all of this thread if she is able...not QUITE sure how that is going to work out but I can then stick that in a safe place and read it when I'm sitting in me bath chair on the porch! :mrgreen:

More on the shavings later!

Jimi

Again...many thanks for the comments guys...there are some old friends popping up here but some new ones too and I hope to meet you all some day.

Mick..the offer of coffee is still open to you as before if you are passing...we would love to say hi again.

Like most things with this plane, I have tried to get the best result from each component but at the end of the day...the bit that really matters to use this for its primary purpose...shaving wood... is the iron.

It was probably perfectly sharp enough to shave pretty well straight from Philly's hardening and surface grinding but obviously the grind marks on the face need to be taken out to give the one straight edge of two which make up the perfect edge.

Anyone considering buying one of Philly's replacement irons...or indeed, one of his excellent planes should look at the following images pretty closely...I think you will see why we all love his work!

Firstly...straight "out of the box"....

20140901_191317-1.jpg

..wiped over the excellent Fallkniven coarse ceramic diamond stone...shows a very tiny dip at the end which is to be expected. When I say tiny we are talking microns here and the following pictures prove this.

I have often flattened irons on a whetstone with water and have had the iron "grab" the hone and stick to it so you can lift the stone....but NEVER on a dry diamond stone...

20140901_190356-2.jpg

....and this is a very heavy stone so a good sign that things are as they should be.

After a few minutes most of the grind marks are gone and the following shots show how flat this face is....

20140901_212742.jpg

....and close up....

20140901_212538.jpg

So I think we can only call this perfection and I am hardly surprised at this as it came from one of the master planemakers of our generation...

Phil Edwards and Philly Planes!

I have to get to the edge and go a bit finer but the edge is already popping hairs on my arm which is now bald...so I'll leave with a huge vote of thanks to you Phil...you are the man!!

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Jimi

Jimi it has been an absolute pleasure to watch and read the story of such a fantastic piece of craftsmanship, you should be very proud.
I take my hat off to you sir =D>
What's next ?

n0legs":12m7dsb3 said:
Jimi it has been an absolute pleasure to watch and read the story of such a fantastic piece of craftsmanship, you should be very proud.
I take my hat off to you sir =D>
What's next ?

Metal Engraving?? CLICK CLICK

And a medium mitre infill...probably about 4" long...box or rosewood infill...maybe next month.

And thanks for the kind words mate..I know you have been here since the start of the journey too!

Cheers

Jimi

cough "shavings" cough "shavings" cough

Medium mitre, cooool I'm =P~ ing already

but Mr P edantic 'ere isn't 4" a small mitre not a medium one ? :?

Mr_P":37c3bp8y said:
cough "shavings" cough "shavings" cough

Medium mitre, cooool I'm =P~ ing already

but Mr P edantic 'ere isn't 4" a small mitre not a medium one ? :?

I'm almost done with the iron and I'm going to see Douglas tomorrow with it and my camera...he gets first dibs at the inaugural shavings...

Got to share these jobs out haven't we!? 8)

No doubt there will be a personal review after the visit.

Nearly there mate...! :wink:

And "medium" I suppose depends on your viewpoint...it's bigger than a block and smaller than a smoother...specifications may change! :mrgreen:

Jimi

Hi Jimi. I just placed an online order for the DC521 bench sharpening stone from Heinnie Haynes. Looking forward to giving it a test run.

Stewie;

Back