the midlands micro bash

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, who's volunteering to be chief umbrella holder over the BBQ, err furnace, tomorrow? Bring your waterproofs, people :?

bodgermatic":1hg37sob said:
OK, who's volunteering to be chief umbrella holder over the BBQ, err furnace, tomorrow? Bring your waterproofs, people :?

I have a plan...........

Hi, Lurker

Does it involve up being covered in molten plastic dripping from a melting awning covering a red hot barbeque?:wink:

If so count me in :wink:

Pete

Racers":1t40lg4e said:
Hi, Lurker

Does it involve up being covered in molten plastic dripping from a melting awning covering a red hot barbeque?:wink:

If so count me in :wink:

Pete

:-k maybe I need to re-think my plan :lol:

Hi, Lurker

The rain should keep the plastic cool, but storm force winds are forcasted for tomrrow, so the driping plastic will be blown away from us :wink:

Pete

Racers":zxxi2are said:

Must remember to wear my brown trousers tomorrow.

Hi, Bodgermatic

Only if they are fireproof :wink:

Pete

At least you shouldn`t need bellows for the furnace, that is if you can anchor it down in the first place :shock:

Hi, Chaps

The photos

Jim Bodgematic DougB Steve Maskery and James
DSC_0154.jpg

Some strange chap in a blue hat
DSC_0158.jpg

Barbeque fun
DSC_0161.jpg

DSC_0153.jpg

DSC_0164.jpg

DSC_0172.jpg

Flaming hot :shock:
DSC_0175.jpg

The mafia? :wink:
DSC_0179.jpg

I took some planes and my coping saw bowsaw

DSC_0188.jpg

DSC_0191.jpg

DSC_0194.jpg

We had loads of fun, we where well supplied with food and drink thanks to Jim's better half and Steve brought a very nice stem ginger cake.

Nice one Jim!!!

Pete

Hi, Chaps

Tempering temperatures

300F 150C 63-64 Rockwell C
400F 200C 61-62 Rockwell C
500F 250C 58-60 Rockwell c
I usually use 150C in the oven for 1/2 hour or so then switch off and remove the blade when cool.

Grind back the end and back to remove the decarburized steel, ruler trick works well on the back or a coarse waterstone, you might need to do couple of sharpenings to get to the good steel.

Pete

Hey all. It looks to have been fun, and dry to boot. :)

Although I have a grasp of what is happening could someone please put some explanation to the images. I am particularly interested in the tin which seems to move from the 'fire pit' to the oil. Do you find that a top blowing hair drier gets enough extra oxygen into the charcoal to get the steel up to 'cherry red' ? Daft question really, as you are doing that it must be OK.

xy

I was only able to make a flying visit due to family commitments, but had a great time, first class food and beveridges, and excellant company. Sadly I missed the main event (but not the hotdogs).

Many thanks to Lurker and Mrs Lurker.

When's the next one?

Dennis

Very enjoyable and useful afternoon. Sorry I missed the snap at the start.

many thanks to the lurkers

Re tempering (Pete) according to my tables straw is 227-243 deg C depending on darkness so this should give 59-61 hardness. The question is what hardness do we want? I thought I read Ashley Isales were 63-65 but maybe that is different steel.

I`d also like to add my thanks to Jim & his wife for their hospitality =D> =D> & also Steve for converting me to ginger cake, so good i had 2 pieces.

Also thanks to Pete for the demonstration & bringing his lovely planes, i`m inspired, just need to find some time & a BBQ!

It was a most enjoyable afternoon, in great company, thanks.

Hi, Modernist

My table from the packet of O1 says 300F 150C 63-64 so that is the one I usually go for,

I did have to go higher for my scraper plane blade as it kept fracturing when I tried to form a hook, you could hear a series of small cracks as you ran the burnisher along.

You can re-temper if you get problems with the edge fracturing but you can't go back with out re-hardening the blade, so its best to start at 150C and even if your oven isn't to accurate it will turn out o/k.

Pete

Thanks to Lurker and Mrs Lurker for hosting, and providing the BBQ ;) The rain held off long enough for us to cook the dish of the day!

Thanks to Pete for bringing his impressive shop-made tools along (stop polishing the brass smoother, Pete).

And a special mention to Steve's manly ginger cake, which was very tasty indeed. I can vouch for this having sampled it repeatedly.

xy mosian":1g9ffbw9 said:
Hey all. It looks to have been fun, and dry to boot. :)

Dry-ish :) Quite windy though.

Although I have a grasp of what is happening could someone please put some explanation to the images. I am particularly interested in the tin which seems to move from the 'fire pit' to the oil.

I can see how that looks confusing. It was actually 2 different tins. The tin on the BBQ had a pipe connected to the bottom (a la Philly Forge), but we couldn't get enough blow down it with the hairdryer - so we switched to using the coals to one side of the tin instead. The tin with the oil in was the quench.

Do you find that a top blowing hair drier gets enough extra oxygen into the charcoal to get the steel up to 'cherry red' ? Daft question really, as you are doing that it must be OK.

Seemed to :) Although Pete did struggle to get Lurker's thicker blade up to temperature.

Glad everyone enjoyed themselves.

Weather was a bit of a bind but we managed OK under the circumstances.

My thanks to Pete for his know how.

By the way- Those tins are a testament to my hoarding affliction.
They were baby milk powder tins from when my lads were babies. The youngest is now 26!!

bodgermatic, thanks for the clearing up. It all makes a litle more sense now, I think. I assume the reference to 'Philly Forge' is something that will kep me occupied for the rest of the day :)

Thanks again, I'm pleased you all had a good time.

xy

Latest posts

Back