The Grammar Thread

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Talking of grammar, have you noticed how many people are using 'of' instead of 'have' these days? It really irritates me!
Same as starting every sentence with 'so'....
Same as inserting 'like' before every third word....
Same as not pronouncing 't's in words....

Same as...... but no. No more. I'm even winding myself up now!
….or, ’Can I get a coffee‘.

Yes it’s over there, are we all just getting too old?
The one that always winds me up, and it was just about started by the BBC, nothing ever more is in the centre it’s always the epicentre, an epicentre is the point on the ground above an earthquake.
Yes I’ve tried my inadequate best with the commas. I work on the principle – perhaps wrongly that a comma is where you would take a breath. Ian

Talking of grammar, have you noticed how many people are using 'of' instead of 'have' these days? It really irritates me!

Attachments

• 273C2C6A-7ABE-4757-AD89-64E9D74C1D17.jpeg
    273C2C6A-7ABE-4757-AD89-64E9D74C1D17.jpeg
    18.2 KB · Views: 21
My wife doesn't use commas.
I proof read some work for my daughter a few years ago (ironic, really - I have O level English and she was doing an English degree at a Russell group university) and I told her to try writing without commas then to read it and insert any necessary. It's surprising how few if any are needed.

Same as 'to' after different.

With apologies to our friends over the Atlantic - and don’t get me started on the use of Americanisms in the UK.

I remember this exercise from school that demonstrated the importance of punctuation.

Punctuate the following (note that some words may require an initial capital but to show them here would over-simplify the exercise).

"that that is is that that is not is not is that it it is"

Reminds me of the puzzle:
Can you create a correct sentence in English which has the word ‘had’ 11 times sequentially (punctuation allowed in between)

Back round to the old chestnut of,

Eats shoots and leaves

With apologies to our friends over the Atlantic - and don’t get me started on the use of Americanisms in the UK.

Not just in lingo, either.
Have you noticed that it's also crept into football now, with players getting credited with "assists"?!
Mind you, there's a lot of inane, time-filling commentary these days - I heard pundit Martin Keone say that one of the players had "feet like paint brushes" last weekend!
There followed what is described as a "pregnant pause" before his colleague queried what had just been said, and Keone blathered that he'd meant that the player was "an artist"!

Reminds me of the puzzle:
Can you create a correct sentence in English which has the word ‘had’ 11 times sequentially (punctuation allowed in between)

No.

Tom and Harry were both taking an English test at school on the use of had or had had and went to look at the results. Harry beat Tom, because in the answer to question 4, Harry, where Tom had had had, had had had had, had had had had the teacher's approval, so he scored full marks. ;)

Back