Sowing the First Seeds of 2023

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. I've tried those iron based pellets but they weren't that effective and dissolved in the rain quite quickly.

My preferred option is to use copper rings. It's the only alternative to pellets that actually works. I should have put them round the baby cabbage plants this year, not sure why I didn't.
I started out years ago by buying various types of Cu tape and mesh and other purpose made products. They were a bit rubbish really; didn't work that well and didn't last very long. I realised that I could do far better myself starting from standard copper plumbing pipe and some basic metal working.
I cut 22mm pipe to a length of about 12", slit it along its length, bend and beat it out flat to a ribbon and then roll that around the other way to end up with a ring of 4" diameter and about 2.5" high. I put these around individual plants in the ground, or I use them to stand pots on if I'm protecting plants in pots. (This should make a bit more sense with the photos).

I've been using them for a number of years now and really happy with them. They're not 100% effective but getting there. Nothing is against slugs to my knowledge. I'm not sure of the exact chemistry but for some reason but slugs hate copper. I've tested it and watched them visibly recoil from it!

It takes a fair bit of effort and time to initially make the rings but I figure they'll last forever now. Being copper they won't rust away obviously. Also pipe is quite a thick guage they are strong enough to sit really heavy pots on.

If I was a salesman I'd have been on Dragon's Den with the idea before now! Never seen anything as good available to buy.
IMG_20210616_132411.jpeg IMG_20210616_132342.jpeg IMG_20210616_132428.jpeg
I made mine out of an old hot water cylinder - they work well but I find that if there's a lot of wind rock, they can cut through the stems of things. Still a lot better than nothing though. I think it's the taste that the slugs object to and I can't say I blame them - we've got copper pans in the kitchen and you only make the mistake of licking them once!

Hi Phil,
The ones you're showing there are a specially bred variety, not the normal local wild variety and therefore probably not as good for the wildlife. Foxglove seed are really easy to collect from the wild and would be a far better (and cheaper) way to go about this. There are hundreds of seed in each pod. As far as I'm aware, although it's illegal to uproot wild plants without the land owner's permission, it is fine to collect the seed...
Yes, you are correct. Last year they listed natives iirc which were cheaper. I'll look into it.

The only thing I have found that works on slugs is a G&T and a torch in the dead of night, pick them up and drown them.

Harvested some of my chilli's today
20230928_183706.jpg

To continue a very odd year. Here in Cambridgeshire we had over 5 inches of rain in October, not a lot by westcountry standards but very unusual in our flatlands. Neighbour who keeps records reckons it's 12 years since we had 4 inches in 4 weeks.

So far we have only had 2 ground frosts, and not proper cold frosts either. It's 20th November and I've been raking leaves from a nearby lime tree. Dahlias still clinging on, and at the same time the early variety snowdrops that usually show up week 2 of January are here.

Attachments

• IMG_20231120_151510.jpg
    IMG_20231120_151510.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20231120_150817.jpg
    IMG_20231120_150817.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Back