The chip breaker is as important as the blade

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just had the same light switched on in my head only today.

All this week I had been feeling right p&^%$ ff with myself & my woeful planing skills & then I watched the David Savage DVD yesterday about planing & eureka ! .. a few hours of jiggery pokery with my cheapo plastic handled Stanley's , a good file & usual sharpening kit & I litterally went from leaving my knotty English Oak looking like a muddy field to leaving it silky smoothe ! ..I cannot believe the difference it's made - I am so chuffed.

I couldn't understand how my (equally cheapo Stanley) Block plane was doing the business but my bench planes were awful (I thought it was the sharpness of the blades to blame although I had sharpened them all to the same standard). It was only when I kept perservering with getting the chipbreaker & mouth to be as shown in the dvd did it all suddenly improve - the diffrence between poor & perfect was virtually immeasurable.

I now know why these tools were cheap but am dead chuffed that I do not have to fork out £100's on new planes.. mind you I've a few more hours work to get the soles truely flat.

Back