The Big 09 UKW turning comp : submissions only

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my entry to the beginners. A piece of sycamore turned from green. Hollowed with a Hamlet little brother. Finished with sanding sealer then a couple of coats of wax. 11 inches tall.

IMG_7975.JPG

IMG_7977.JPG

This is my entry for the pens in alternative materials category.
It is my 18th pen and my first high end kit
I used a polyester resin blank for this kit as I had no timber blanks large enough (I didn't realise how large they were compared to a slimline)
It was wet sanded with wet and dry paper to 1200 grit and a final polish with brasso.
It's not easy to get good photos and not helped by losing my tripod :D

For the intermediat catogory.
A mahogony and French box cake stand with threaded upright.

Cakestand1.jpg

Some detail of the construction and wooden threads.

Cakestand2.jpg

The blanks were first mounted on a screw chuck for the under sides to be turned. A recess for the Axminster expanding chuck turned too. Mounted on the expanding chuck the upper side was turned. Finished with very well worn 'J' cloth 120 grit and grey plastic finishing wool. Then 3 coats of Danish oil and the shine scrubbed off with the finishing wool. The box is finished with Liberon wax.

Lower platter is 12" diameter, upper is 8 1/2" and it's 10" high.

Here goes:

Category: Beginner

_RSH2631.jpg

_RSH2639.jpg

_RSH2638.jpg

This is my first attempt at turning an 'irregular' piece. Final size 12.5cm, wood cut from a piece of sweet chestnut that I'd saved for many years.
CA used to stabilise the bark inclusion, finished with sealer and woodwax.

3823651076_5be5b0ec67.jpg

3822846793_d1a3ffe710.jpg

3822846263_1c60edd100.jpg

Beginner

Olive ash bowl with a mahogany handle.

Turned in two pieces. Fistly the bowl, roughed out shape on a screw chuck, then spigot turned and place in supernova chuck. bowl hollowed out sanded from 240grit to 1200grit one coat of carnauba wax & buffed to a shine. Reversed chucked and spigot turned away.

Handled turned between centers, for most of the shaping, spigot turned and placed in chuck to shape handle top. Then sanded and treated the same as the bowl.

Both pieces glued together with one small screw just for my piece of mind :?

Beginner

Standard Lamp in Ash. Down to 600 then 2 coats danish oil with 24 hours between.

14 inches hight, base 5 inch dia.

All turning completed, just needs wiring, but needed to get pics up today.

Loz

S7002625.jpg

S7002624.jpg

S7002622.jpg

Better late than never!

For intermediate category.

DSCF3679.jpg

No idea what wood it is, we rescued it from a wood tip. possible it was Horse chestnut as some were coming down nearby. Rim and foot dyed bit of recycled Ash. 16cm tall (6inch) 21cm across (8inch)
finished with 22 wax.

DSCF3674-2.jpg

Well, here's my entry to the beginner category. I started this on Saturday 15th August and finished it today (16th) at 7pm. :shock: It is all turned from Fig. Coloured with black spirit dye and finished with renaissance wax. The flame finial was first turned to a cone then carved with rasps, files and then lots and lots of sanding. The body has been fully turned, using a jam chuck to finish the bottom. The lid is also hollowed inside and the finial is glued into a small mortice. The fit of the lid is a light suction action.

DSC_1382.JPG

DSC_1386.JPG

DSC_1381.JPG

Well I made the first one and it was to order so this one is for me.
Made from Padouk again as I have a good stock of it and it does look smart waxed.
The top is 3¼" diameter while the handle is 5" long. I roughed the handle between centres, I drilled a ½" hole in the top and friction holds it on. The whole lot was then mounted between centres again.
I used a spindle gouge on the handle, bowl gouge for the top, hollowing the under side, final shape with a round nose scraper.
I used Wood Wax 22 rubbed on with fine webbrax and burnished with a hand brush.

3828069722_4a64f89dae.jpg

3827272843_fe57b846f9.jpg

3828072700_45ac83f42a.jpg

Oh and I am a beginner.

This is a lidded box made from a 30-35 year old piece of firewood I found in a friends shed. I had never made a lidded box until this one so there was a steep learning curve.

I am entering this in the Beginner section. I have had a lathe for a couple of years but health issues restrict my turning activities so in real terms I have only a few months experience.

Size 4" x 3.5". Sanded to 500 and finished with sanding sealer and paste wax.

Brendan

BrendansLiddedBox.jpg

Unfortunately I've been without my lathe for 6 or 7 weeks and since then my health hasn't been great so I'm afraid my plans for something new have failed :( I'm submitting something that I've posted before but I've taken some new photos which better match the true colour ...

Category: Advanced

click photos for larger versions

Species:
Burr Poplar

Dimensions:
19cm widest diameter x 95cm high
3cm centre hole
~5mm wall thickness throughout (or as best as I can measure with this shape!)

Finish:
Chestnut Finishing Oil burnished with a drill mounted brush

Hollowed using Munro tool with original cutter plus additional, home-made extension head, tooth-pick style cutter and Sorby cutter.
Sanded inside using home-made sanding head for the Munro tool.

Duncan
(I'll try to post photos of my failed efforts at something new when they're ready)

Category Advanced

Spalted Beech Fruit Bowl 14 2/1" X4 1/2"

This is from a very soft pices of wood that would usually have been fire wood but as it was the only piece of Ash I have seen like this I had a go.

Very sharp tools to get the shape and then carefully sanded to 600grit, Then soaked in super glue and left to dry for a week and then sanded to 1200.

This process was repeated another 4 times over a few months until all the soft spots had hardened then reversed turned and the same process for the base.

Once all completted it was then finished with woodwax 22.

619d.jpg

619e.jpg

619f.jpg

john

Thank you to all entrants and the competition entry deadline has now passed and no more entries can be accepted.

We hope to annouce the judges decision by the end of the month

As mentioned there some excellent entries for the competition. Deadline for submissions has now passed and I've been asked to close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back