The Big 09 UKW turning comp : submissions only

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

big soft moose

Established Member
Reaction score
This is the thread on which to put your submissions.

remember to put

a) what category you are entering (beginner, intermediate, advanced or pens)

b) a max of 3 pics showing your item

c) a max of 250 words about the project (name of the piece if any, wood type, any special techniques and whatever else you think we ought to know.)

Please note to make the judges life easier this thread is for submissions only - we will ask the mods to remove anything else. If you want to comment on or talk about someones entry do it on the other competition thread, use their WIP thread, or start a new one

Picture551-1.jpg

Picture549-1.jpg

Picture550-1.jpg

Category= Intermediate Pens.
An Americana Ink-Ball Pen in Acrylic (Cobalt Blue), after roughing-out, finished turning with the Micro Spindlemaster, sanded with Micro-Mesh, finished with Brasso, two coats, Ren Wax two coats.

This is my entry for the competition. Itermediate catagory:D
Not sure how to describe it but i think a winged bowl Laburnum crotch is what they are called :?
This piece was inspired by DuncanH's two pieces of Laburnum crotch when i first saw them.
So i sorted meself a suitable piece out,cut it length ways down the middle so i had two halves to try.
The first one turned into a bowl somehow, :roll: but this was my second attempt,and am pleased with it :D
It was first held by a Worm screw to flatten and shape the underside off and make a dovetail hold.
Then it was turned round,held by the DT and the inner was shaped.
The wood shape is how it was cut on the bandsaw,and the splits were in the wood to start.
It is sanded down to 320 and finished with Danish Oil.
It is 200mm x 250mm x 50mm.
If the judges would like any other piccys please let me know. :D

comp1.jpg

comp2.jpg

comp3.jpg

Beginner Category
Ash Bowl

I started a "woodworking and wood turning" course at our local college and this is the first piece i did on the lathe.

Its ash, 5 1/2" in diameter, finished to 400 grit and then three coats of danish oil.

2851_73175405793_634950793_1889784_3066215_n.jpg

I might add another couple of pictures later.

Pete

A Chrome Sierra Twist Pen in Olivewood.
Sanded using Micro-Mesh, Finished with Boiled Linseed Oil & CA glue.
I gave this 20 coats in total. Sanding every 5 coats with 12000 grit MM. Then i applied 2 coats of Ren Wax.

may061.jpg

may053.jpg

may052.jpg

OK, here's mine. I guess I'm intermediate.

Materials

Laburnum with ebonized hawthorn finials and natural pedestal. Globe is 6" dia. (Lat) 5" dia (long). Finials are 3" long and identical (honest). Pedestal is also 3" . Thickness iof globe is 8mm

Method

Globe was rough turned inside and out and then I stood back and watched as it split all over the place while I watched it. Nearly threw it out but as I was trying to emulate an old fashioned world globe i thought that by filling the cracks it might represent the lines of longitude. I cleaned them out and used the sawdust from the inside mixed with PVA to make sure I filled them thoroughly then left for 24 hours to dry. When dry I shaped inside and out with spindle gouges and finished by sanding to 400 then finally with 1200 wet & dry as this gives a sheen without need for polish.

Finials were ebonised with shoe polish because when polished with wax some of the colour comes off leaving a natural looking dark finish and I didn't want it jet black. They are both glued in place

The pedestal is left natural as it seemed more appropriate and the globe rests on it so it can be repositioned.

Comments & critique (in other thread of course) welcome

Pete

My entry for the intermediate section of the competition.

The piece is a rectangular 'winged' bowl made from Santos Mahogany.
The idea for the design is to capture the moment that a droplet breaks the surface of water. This idea gives the shape of the bowl part and the two outer rings radiating from the impact.
The dimensions are 9 1/2" long x 5 1/2" wide and 2 1/2" in height. It is sanded down to 600 grit, with a coat of cellulose sanding sealer and finally buffed with wax.
The underside was turned and finished first using a screw chuck, forming a tenon on the base to fit my chuck.The top was then turned and finished before reversing once more to remove the tenon and finish the base.Both sides of the rectangular part were checked throughout turning with a straight edge.
DSC_0001.jpg

compbowl001.jpg

compbowl002.jpg

This is my entry to the competition.....

Category... Beginner

Lightly Spalted Beech Box with screw top

Title... Ring or Pill box.
But was actually made as a gift for a young lady at work who is leaving soon to have her first baby... so it could also be Baby's First Tooth Box.

Approx dimensions are:-

40mm high overall
30mm external dia
26mm internal dia

The brass screw thread insert was purchased from Turners Retreat.

The whole item was turned using my 'Beginner's Set of Turning Tools' (set 67H) from Robert Sorby.... as they are the only turning tools i have at the moment.

Sanded to 400 grit before it was given 4 coats of sanding sealer (allowing each to dry before de-nibbing) then given a light coat of 'natural' Briwax.

IMG_2384.jpg

IMG_2388.jpg

IMG_2389.jpg

This is my first picture posting to the Forum so I hope all turns out well. Please let me know if I have done something wrong.

This is my entry. Don't really know how to describe my level of ability so will opt for Intermediate.

The item is a "Spinning Top" turned using Zebrano and Boxwood. It is about 4 inches tall by about 2.5 inches wide.

The idea was for a free standing spinning top and its ability to work depends on a "ball & socket" joint. The top contains a "socket" in Boxwood into which the "ball" on the top of the stem pops. When connected it is possible to lift the whole unit by the top "finial" to move it to another location.

The idea for the joint came from a demo I saw by Bob Chapman on making Singapore Balls.

Spinning Top (at rest)

Spinning Top (in action)

Spinning Top (construction)

Dave

Hi Guys,
Please find attached my submission for the PEN category.

It is a Turner's Retreat 7mm standard pen kit, coupled with an African Blackwood pen blank that has been roughed down to size then finished with:
Abranet 120,180,240,320,400,600
followed by
Chestnut cellulose sanding sealer mixed 50/50 with cellulose thinners (1 coat)
followed by
Chestnut friction polish (1 coat)
followed by
Carnauba stick wax (1 coat)

This is my 4th ever pen, and the love of my life was impressed so that is good enough for me!!

mwphots
[/url][/img]

mwphots
[/url][/img]

Cheers,

Malc :D

Hi All

category: beginner

Item: jewelry Box

JewelryBox170709_700.jpg

The box is made from a green piece of poplar sanded to 400 grit after a few days this was then sanded by hand with 600 grit as I've found that the grain stands back up with poplar as it dries. Opening was also sanded to allow for the lid to sit snug after warping from drying. 4 coats of danish oil applied with a light sanding with 600 grit in between each coat.

The foot was formed, then with my 2mm parting tool I formed the flat bit in between the foot and bowl.

Lid wa glued up and a scrap spigot from a previous project glued on while a spigot was formed on the underside. this was then reversed and the top formed. Once done another piece of oak was glued on, and the finial formed. Sanded to 400 grit and wax applied and buffed.

Cheers.

Mark..................

Hi All,
This is my entry for the competition.

Intermediate Section

The bowl is 7 inches wide and 1.5 inches deep.
Material Elm with a little burr.
Sanded to 400 grit, 1 coat of cellulose sanding sealer and finished with Woodwax 22.

Picture087.jpg

Picture088.jpg

Picture089.jpg

Best regards,
Ian[/b]

Sorry forgot to add details for my entry(above).It was made from rose zebrano.Shaped with bowl gouge and scrapers-I turned the edge thin(nerveracking),then sanded to 400 grit.I then finished with sanding sealer,the beeswax and carnauba wax.I then buffed,and wa la! :D

CATEGORY: PENS

Snakeskin Sierra

Python snakeskin on a Black Titanium and Platinum Sierra, wet sanded with micro-mesh up to 12,000

alloys006.jpg

keithkarl2007":3tqvtfvq said:
CATEGORY: PENS

Snakeskin Sierra

Python snakeskin on a Black Titanium and Platinum Sierra, wet sanded with micro-mesh up to 12,000

alloys006.jpg
to get you out of the spam trap

______
________My submission to the Intermediate mix, seen before on the forum but a piece I particularly enjoyed completing.
__________Click on images for larger view.
______
________ __
______
_______________Cherry and Irish Bog Oak, Base 180mm X 95m

Project Brief:
Something distinctive to display a piece of Irish Bog Oak.

Process:
Picked the home dried Cherry to give contrast but with enough warmth to compliment the Grey-Black of the Oak.

The Oak had structure discontinuities, not visible as splits but weak enough to allow delamination by hand. Noticed during blank preparation, treated with CA before and during turning.

Oak trued, lid partially formed and parted off.

Remainder hollowed, turned externally forming bowl down to small spigot with outer rim lip undercut to ensure close contact with base, reversed in Cole Jaws to finish dome.

Lid re-mounted for sizing to fit and finishing.

Pondered approach to the base for a while, I have a natural aversion to turning anything resembling a propeller and decided to turn a complete domed bowl.

Dovetail tenoned with extended shank for increased room turning rear and checking thickness.

Remounted in Cole Jaws, tenon removed and hole bored for a push fit of the bowl.

Trimmed to width on bandsaw using a sledge with central pillar for central location of hole and provide clamping, the sawn edges were finished on a disc sander.

Finish (Wipe on Melamine and Woodwax22) applied at each completed phase.

My Submission : Bandstand Clock
Wood : Cherry
Category : Intermediate (slightly ambitiously ! )

Design Concept : To create something specifically for the competition, & to incorporate both faceplate and spindle work - and to try an include repetition turning, and a degree of measuring precision. I also wanted to use the piece I would enter, to try and push my abilities a bit beyond where they perhaps are in reality !
Finish : Blended Carnauba & Beeswax on Faceplate Elements &
Friction Polish on the spindle components.
Clock Insert is 80mm Dia O.D. to give an idea of scale.

Click for larger images

Thank you - and best of luck to everyone who enters... great idea and excellent fun :D

Here we go then, my entry for the intermediate category.

This is a pair of yew bowls/platters showing continuous grain, and intended to be as identical as I could make them given the vagaries of the wood. They are each 11" square and the overall depth is about an inch.

They were started on a faceplate (short screws!) to turn the back, then chucked using the recess to finish the front. Sanded to 800 and finished with lemon oil. They are slightly less than 1/8" thick at the edges, about 1/4 " at the centre.

I realise they are technically two bowls, but I won't be separating them, I see them as one item.

3793413514_60f25101c1.jpg

3792599839_bda18df08c.jpg

3793417602_015cba8e16.jpg

Larger versions are available on my flickr page

Pete H

hiya guys, here is my entry in the pen catagory,
its a black titanium/rhodium sierra twist.
the body is african blackwood and the fish are individualy cut from bethlehem olive wood and a ca/blo finish. thanks for looking

06082009394.jpg

06082009393_edited.jpg

06082009395.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back