The best freestanding table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyper

Reaction score
Hi All.
I am new to the forum. I would like all your expert advice please. If you had a max of 2k to spend on a table saw what would be your recommendations. Thanks in advance.

Now this is going to be interesting, from "you will get much more for your money buying second hand" too "my ABC123 saw is the best you can buy", subscribed, popcorn at the ready.

To try and give this some perspective, what are you going to be cutting, how much room do you have, what sort of extract system do you have already?

Hi mostly plywood. I have plenty room as long as its on castors to move. I agree regarding second hand is the way to go once I have made a decision what to get. I have a bosch table saw at the moment. thanks

Thanks for the replies. I should have said it needs to be 240v. I quite like the look of Scheppach Precisa 3.0 Sawbench or something similar but I know nothing about these. Thanks.

Probably a slider is the way to go if your intending to cut ply mainly.
You can get small ones like a SCM SC3, or Hammer K3 like what Marius Hornberger has on YT
These don't look quite as handy to make jigs for, simple ones what slides on rails either
side of the blade would take some more head scratching to figure out, they say you get used to that.

Other questions include..
Have you 16 amp, or 13a sockets in your workshop, guessing you don't have 3 phase since you mentioned the Bosch....
You can only run a 2HP single phase machine from a 13a socket max, but can run 3 phase stuff
with no bother, the likes of 3HP or higher, with a sub 100 quid VFD what's very easy to hook up for an inexperienced or clueless person.
You won't get conflicting advice on how to do it.

Do you have, or foresee anyone working for you?
Would you be willing to put time into a good machine for cheaper?

If I were you, I would seriously think about going with secondhand 3 phase machinery because you can get a shedfull of top quality machinery for that money, as secondhand machines goes for half what new goes for...
and three phase stuff goes for half of what single phase stuff goes for. :D
Good luck
Tom

Thanks Tom. This is only a hobby for me when am home but I do spend many days in the workshop I will only be working alone. I would like something that can handle sheets but also a good all round machine. Noted on the 3 phase will need to look in to this . thanks.

If you're predominantly going to be cutting up plywood it would have to be a secondhand panel saw with a 3.2m sliding table in my opinion. The only real drawback of one is that you need a lot of space for one (Because of the 3.2m sliding table) but if space isn't an issue it would be my recommendation.

There's a few good makers such as Felder (Also Hammer and Format4), SCM (Also Minimax), Panhans, Altendorf and Wadkin just to rattle off a few. There are a few things too look out for when looking for one though, a scoring blade is a very handy piece of equipment if you're doing a lot of work with veneered sheets as it will "score" the work before it gets ripped leaving a very clean edge with little to no tearout. Also if the machine has an outrigger table that will be a massive bonus as it will allow sheets to be easily ripped and cut down without the aid of another person holding the sheet level. Also, it's worth looking for a machine with an integral spindle moulder fitted if you don't have or don't have the space for a separate machine, I think it's the Felders that mainly have these integrated into the machines. They're very handy if you decide to do moulding work.

You should be able to get a good secondhand panel saw with your budget, it's worth looking at the completed listings on eBay to see what the going rate is for most machines:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=panel+saw&_sacat=0&LH_ItemCondition=3000&rt=nc&LH_Complete=1

Have a look here: https://www.axminster.co.uk/machinery/saws/panel-saws the two within your budget will probably need an outfeed table or roller stand to accommodate full size sheets, but so will most of the others suggested.

If you can get a 16amp dedicated circuit installed with the right type of RCD/MCB fitted you can run up to 3.5HP from it.

Thanks Mike. I was looking at the SIP 10 but the reviews are limited on you tube. If anyone on the forum could give me feedback regarding this saw that would be great. Appreciate all your advice.

Skyper":3ko6dxyx said:
Thanks Mike. I was looking at the SIP 10 but the reviews are limited on you tube. If anyone on the forum could give me feedback regarding this saw that would be great. Appreciate all your advice.

If you're looking at the 10" SIP 01332, there are a few reviews on this site, including the identical iTech 01332 from S & S which I have. Full sheets are very hard work without infeed and outfeed tables, single handed but once broken down with track saw, no probs. There is a sliding attachment but I've not used that so can't comment.

Back