The best buy I've made this year!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plumberpete

Established Member
Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... MEWNX%3AIT

I saw this Record 073 shoulder plane on eBay but was hedging my bets while waiting to see if I'd won anything else I'd bid on. I had a look at it again this morning and saw that they'd changed the price from a starting bid of £30 to a "Buy It Now" price of £45 about 10 minutes beforehand. Needless to say I almost bit their hand off....

Sorry about the enormous gloat but I've been after one of these for ages. They're normally way out of my price range or I miss the boat completely. I know some people have managed to pick these up super cheap at boot sales but I've never seen one. The plane arrived by overnight delivery, here's some pics;

DSCF1856.jpg

DSCF1855.jpg

DSCF1857.jpg

Needless to say, I'm extremely happy! :D

Nice buy! That's £4 less than I paid for mine, which has a brazed repair on the bit snaps first if dropped.

Bristol Tools on Gloucester Road had one of these in their small selection of secondhand tools a week or two ago - priced at £65 which I thought was very reasonable. It's gone now.

Insufferable. I paid more than that from Bristol Design, and that was years ago - and it wasn't in such good condition. Okay? Enough? Can we stop gilding the gloat now? :lol: :wink:

AndyT":5g3ywjwo said:
Nice buy! That's £4 less than I paid for mine, which has a brazed repair on the bit snaps first if dropped.

Bristol Tools on Gloucester Road had one of these in their small selection of secondhand tools a week or two ago - priced at £65 which I thought was very reasonable. It's gone now.

Really? I didn't even know that Bristol Tools sold second hand tools. You learn a new thing every day...

And Alf, I was in Bristol Design yesterday, I was like a kid in a sweet shop - so many amazing tools! So little money! :cry:

Plumberpete":2mohdz53 said:
AndyT":2mohdz53 said:
Really? I didn't even know that Bristol Tools sold second hand tools. You learn a new thing every day...

They don't have many, but seeing as you are also in Bristol I thought you might be interested! Last time I looked there was an assortment of ok chisels, a not very old Stanley no 4 and a pair of Woden sash cramp heads. Probably worth a chat with the owner if you're after something in particular. Since they doubled in size (expanding into the old off-licence next door) they have space for a small display in the window.

Plumberpete":ay7lyhfe said:
I saw this Record 073 shoulder plane ... "Buy It Now" price of £45 about 10 minutes beforehand. Needless to say I almost bit their hand off....

What on earth was the seller doing? Don't they know how to check previous prices?!?

All the better for you, of course.

BugBear

Back