The best buy I've made this year!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plumberpete

Established Member
Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... MEWNX%3AIT

I saw this Record 073 shoulder plane on eBay but was hedging my bets while waiting to see if I'd won anything else I'd bid on. I had a look at it again this morning and saw that they'd changed the price from a starting bid of £30 to a "Buy It Now" price of £45 about 10 minutes beforehand. Needless to say I almost bit their hand off....

Sorry about the enormous gloat but I've been after one of these for ages. They're normally way out of my price range or I miss the boat completely. I know some people have managed to pick these up super cheap at boot sales but I've never seen one. The plane arrived by overnight delivery, here's some pics;

DSCF1856.jpg

DSCF1855.jpg

DSCF1857.jpg

Needless to say, I'm extremely happy! :D

Nice buy! That's £4 less than I paid for mine, which has a brazed repair on the bit snaps first if dropped.

Bristol Tools on Gloucester Road had one of these in their small selection of secondhand tools a week or two ago - priced at £65 which I thought was very reasonable. It's gone now.

Insufferable. I paid more than that from Bristol Design, and that was years ago - and it wasn't in such good condition. Okay? Enough? Can we stop gilding the gloat now? :lol: :wink:

AndyT":5g3ywjwo said:
Nice buy! That's £4 less than I paid for mine, which has a brazed repair on the bit snaps first if dropped.

Bristol Tools on Gloucester Road had one of these in their small selection of secondhand tools a week or two ago - priced at £65 which I thought was very reasonable. It's gone now.

Really? I didn't even know that Bristol Tools sold second hand tools. You learn a new thing every day...

And Alf, I was in Bristol Design yesterday, I was like a kid in a sweet shop - so many amazing tools! So little money! :cry:

Plumberpete":2mohdz53 said:
AndyT":2mohdz53 said:
Really? I didn't even know that Bristol Tools sold second hand tools. You learn a new thing every day...

They don't have many, but seeing as you are also in Bristol I thought you might be interested! Last time I looked there was an assortment of ok chisels, a not very old Stanley no 4 and a pair of Woden sash cramp heads. Probably worth a chat with the owner if you're after something in particular. Since they doubled in size (expanding into the old off-licence next door) they have space for a small display in the window.

Plumberpete":ay7lyhfe said:
I saw this Record 073 shoulder plane ... "Buy It Now" price of £45 about 10 minutes beforehand. Needless to say I almost bit their hand off....

What on earth was the seller doing? Don't they know how to check previous prices?!?

All the better for you, of course.

BugBear

Latest posts

Back