...that time of year again...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrums

Established Member
Reaction score
Yup....Christmas approaches....

Dragged out the Angel worksheet again and started making ready for the remaining eight shows between now and the dreaded day.

Angels-2009.jpg

...apologies to those of you who've seen it all before, tomorrow about 10 more, and the 60 or so buttons I have on order + oh dung I'll never get it all done and the courier let me down....again......life's a puppy.

Chris.

Oh shaddup :lol: Why can't people want things that are fun to make. Oh well...keeps the bank manage ...pacified..was going to say happy but that's not really possible nowadays.

Nice angels by the way. Do you do stand up ones and dangly or are they optional?

Pete

The Angels are stand alone, though they do have a hole at the base, where the screwchuck went, so I suppose you could stick the top of the tree up it's bum and have it like a fairy....(ermmm... no puns intended)

The worksheet for anyone that's interested is below, you'll need to modify how you do it for the kit you've got....(and superglue is what holds it all together + nice tight joints!)

Angelworksheet.jpg

Chris, what do you use as a 'pin' to fix the wings to the body?

Just a piece of contrasting wood- shaped like a domed rivet - 8 diameter shank with a head of about 15 diameter, pushed through and glued to the 'wings' so they don't rotate then fitted into the body.

Cheers, that's how I imagined it. Might make a slightly bigger one for the tree. Perhaps with the body hollowed to lighten it.

great decoration,

I reckon I might make a hollow one Wizer so I can slip a glass whiskey tube in it. Then when the wife isn't looking I can unscrew the angels head and have a swig. lol

Ok, I get the vibes, but many thanks for the design - absolutely perfect for this newbie to contribute something to the Xmas decoration pile.

I can see you've all been there in past years but it's ideas like this that keep us novices coming back.

Oh and by the way why is DeepBlue at the TOP of the slippery slope; I'm at the bottom of it and it's like those scree slops on the mountains, 1 step up and 3/4 slide back down again!

OW

OldWood":1vcrsluy said:
Oh and by the way why is DeepBlue at the TOP of the slippery slope; I'm at the bottom of it and it's like those scree slops on the mountains, 1 step up and 3/4 slide back down again!

Really? I'd say it's more like a giant Axminster catalogue-shaped chair lift :D

Oh, and I don't think I'm at the top peering over anymore - thanks to my fellow forum members I'm now over the edge and hurtling downwards

Ahh! It's the slippery slope of spending money ! Presumably the uphill learning curve must meet the downhill spending curve at some point ??

OW

I'm still very much a total noob, but as far as I can tell the life of a turner goes something like this:

the%20slope.png

DB - that's excellent. No scales I notice but that's probably just as well - and I do worry that I'm not meeting your projected early Ability improvement.

I would also have thought that the Money levelled out to quite a high base level as one sought to solve the lack of Ability by buying more tools - a bit like the golfer buying clubs !

Hope you don't mind if I pass that around my fellow novice woodturners. I will on the otherhand keep it away from my wife !!

OW

Yes, thats a good point! I should probably have labeled it "rate of spending" rather than "money". The initial hump was supposed to be the high learning curve, but I think its pretty true - you go from never having picked up a gouge to being able to make something kind of curvy, you've suddenly picked up a lot of skills in a short space of time.

The X axis should have been labelled "Time", and I suppose (being a software engineer) it should be possible to compute the scale depending on your initial age, enthusiasm and life expectancy :D.

Likewise the Y Axis scale is proportional to (Salary - Expenditure) / Spousal Purse String Tension.

...your initial age, enthusiasm and life expectancy...

Ahh now that's three variables that are very difficult to compute. You see the four of us locally - all novices - are all relatively recently retired. This means that the spouses are all too happy to see us out in our playpens. Nor are they having an influence on the money thing too much. So although Life Expectancy is short (relatively), the 'Initial Age' element can be seen as being very non-linear and 'Enthusiasm' is forced to be high as we are not that welcome indoors !!

OW

OldWood":fce6xnkv said:
Ahh now that's three variables that are very difficult to compute.

I've clearly not thought this through!

I need to add more variables to my model - retirement status, spousal absenteeism approval, spousal indoor welcomness, spousal cash talons, spousal retirement status, the list is endless.

Actually thinking about it this is just turning into a SWMBO simulator, which we all know is an intractable problem to solve so I'll just give up right now. The man who manages to find a solution to this equation is far cleverer than I and a hero to us all!

Back