That old Sharpening thing again

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colinj

Established Member
Reaction score
I have this terrible aversion to sharpening my tools. ie chisels and plane blades.
is there a a forum member in Suffolk who would give me some practical advice please?
or if not any tips for sharpening would be very much appreciated. I just cannot get them sharp by using an oil stone.
Cheers
Colin.

If you are having problems then IMHO do not try to sharpen freehand at this stage - use a good quality guide like the Richard Kell or Veritas ones.
You can use waterstones, diamond stones or abrasive sheets - it's a matter of choice. With waterstones you will need a minimum of 2 grades ( 1 for grinding the bevel and 1 for honing) plus a very fine grade or leather strop to polish. Some people use as many as 6!
I generally use a 600, 1000 and 6000 - I also have a 250, 1200, 2000 and 8000 but very rarely use these. Most times it is just the 1000 and 6000.

If you have a lots of stuff to sharpen and into wood turning and can afford it there's the Tormek which has guides and jigs for most tools.

Practice on an old chisel and do not forget to flatten and polish the backs - for this I use some varying grades of wet & dry paper on a sheet of very flat glass but you can use the waterstones instead.
The main thing is to grind/hone to a burr and then remove it by honing (generally flattening) the opposite side - keep repeating this with progressively finer abrasives and then a final polish until the burr has gone.

Rod

Wow, so many bevels on that second video. Primary bevel, secondary bevel, micro bevel, bevel on the back. For a moment I thought he was making one of those seventies reflective disco ball thingies.

I am in Norwich Norfolk not a million miles away and would happily give you some assistance on a weekend if you want to come up and spend a couple of hours or so getting you on track. I did this recently for another member and he survived my ramblings :) . If you're struggling there is no substitute for being shown. I have to work down Ipswich way, from time to time and do appreciate how horrendous the journey is though.

Alan

Colin,

I am near Sudbury.

I have an assortment of sharpening systems that I use, including a Jet wet stone grinder but not water stones.
You are welcome to call in for a bash with my kit. Evenings are a bit tight, not home until 7:00~7:30 but weekends are possible.

I do not belong to any other woodworking forums so I do not not know what goes on in these, but a big thanks should go out to members like Alf and Gidon for taking the time to make these videos and so pass on their knowledge to the rest of us.

Cheers

Mike

I would just like to thank those who have offered some practical assistance, I have pm'd you both. I am so pleased that someone will take the time to show a fellow woodowrking newbie and goes to prove how popular and very friendly this site is
Colin.

colinj":1cnwsvo7 said:
I would just like to thank those who have offered some practical assistance, I have pm'd you both. I am so pleased that someone will take the time to show a fellow woodowrking newbie and goes to prove how popular and very friendly this site is
Colin.

Where are you? I'm in Diss on the Norfolk/Suffolk border.

BugBear

Back