Teak Oil

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John on the Wirral

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just finished a teak outside table with teak oil. The teak drank drank three coats. How many coats are needed to protect the teak as I don't intend putting a cover over the table - condensation etc Any advice welcomed Cheers

John, I used a lot of this stuff. Teak and oil. Yes, it soaks into the grain depressingly fast and in great volume. "Chill Mon", that's what it's supposed to do! Teak is a naturally oily wood and is sometimes used outside 'au naturelle' no oil, no preservative. That ends up what some treasure, grey 😲 Yacht decks, usually made of teak, are on the other hand are "holy stoned" and resealed regularly with (I think) H.D. yacht varnish. Chandlers and gin palace owners, please confirm or correct. Methinks, in the average increasingly damp U.K. climate you have done enough to preserve your teak, but it may just gradually assume a bland and unattractive grey. In low cloud, you may not see the table until you run into it....

Thanks for that - I shall continue to maintain the beautiful colour of Burma teak. What would happen if I finished off rubbing wax into the teak to really waterproof it! Cheers John on the Wirral

Back