Taming Turnings in 2010

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CHJ":1t86u7sf said:
smDSCN1631.jpg

Thats a very small foot for one of yours Chas :lol: Nice bowl from a nice looking piece of Ash 8)

JT

johnny.t.":2xdjlnau said:
Thats a very small foot for one of yours Chas :lol: JT

Yes it is smaller than most, it's a relatively deep bowl for its diameter so should be stable whatever is piled in it.
In two minds whether to have foot at all, awaiting to see how recipient feels about it. Can be removed fairly easily if required.

Thanks for the comments folks- just because I don't gush thanks after every post don't think they are not appreciated.

Nice work Chas, you have been very busy.

I love ash one of my favourite woods. Got such a beautiful grain and colour.

keep coming back to look Chas. I love the ash bowl very much a rice bowl shape that I really like. I find them very restful.

mark sanger":319vbay5 said:
keep coming back to look Chas. I love the ash bowl very much a rice bowl shape that I really like. I find them very restful.
Thanks Mark, am trying to sort out the wood pile for stock that can turn into more classic styles of useful sizes but so much of it is too small.
I'm constrained somewhat with output in having to use wood from specific source and home drying larger pieces is not easy without loss.
Hoping to do more green rough turning in future but it's hard to judge what will be requested 12-24 months down the drying line.

______
________A bit of WestonbirtYew after two years in the drying.___Click on images for larger view.

________
________
_____________Yew (335mm dia.)

Very nice Chas. That rim treatment is just what the wife's ordered for my next turning adventure. Did you use any 'rhyme or reason' for the spacing or use you engineering natural eye?? ;)

EDIT: Actually I think I got my Ashley Iles beading tool based on your findings. How do you use it? Bevel up or down?

Paul.J":2agey09k said:
.....How deep are they :?:

About 3mm deep by 4mm wide Paul, depth varies slightly dependant on tool angle so is not necessarily the same on each piece but it's not enough to be able to distiguish.

wizer":3qz393dq said:
..... Did you use any 'rhyme or reason' for the spacing or use you engineering natural eye??
Nothing so exotic Tom, just the natural spacing of the tool width.

wizer":3qz393dq said:
.....How do you use it? Bevel up or down?

I use them Bevel Up, I.E. Flute Down so that the 'prongs' are at the bottom, negative scraper mode.

Bevel Down and Flute up is likely to result in a catch as the prongs bite with no bevel support to control depth.

Thanks Chas, exactly as I thought. But had to think about it for a moment. ;)

Lightweeder":1wfpqn8c said:
I agree on the beads Chas. What did you use ?
Being lazy I used the Ashley Isles beading tool LW, at least I only have to worry about tear-out & not wreaking the whole thing with an uncontrolled slip.

________

I see they have dropped in price a few pounds since I bought the steels Original Thread (Last seen £18 ea. with handle at Yandles)

________A little something for local Cancer support fund raising.

________
________

________________Pau Rosa ________________325mm dia._____Colours pop under different lighting angles.

________Unfortunately they will dull down with time and light exposure.

Latest posts

Back